+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card

Behai

Feb 13, 2024
I am Canadian permanent resident. My family( I, my wife, my children) had PR cards in 2015. In 2017, all my family moved to Canada. My family renewed PR card in 2020. After that, due to not to find suitable job in Canada, I go back to my country to work( I am an electric engineer) to support my family. My wife and my children have stayed in Canada, my wife is housewife to take care of my children. Three of them become Canadian citizens inJune, 2022. In September this year 2024, my youngest daughter will enter university. My wife intends go back to our home country to work as a medical doctor because this occupation is her passion and to take care her parent( they are over 75 years old). She will live with me in our home country. My PR card will expire in January 2025. I would like to ask if I come back to Canada with my wife in January, 2027, could I renew my PR card?(
( we will flight to USA and drive a private car to USA-Canada land border ). I really want to keep my permanent resident status because I want to live in Canada with my chidren when we retired.
It would be appriciated if you guys could answer my question. Thank you very much!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am Canadian permanent resident. My family( I, my wife, my children) had PR cards in 2015. In 2017, all my family moved to Canada. My family renewed PR card in 2020. After that, due to not to find suitable job in Canada, I go back to my country to work( I am an electric engineer) to support my family. My wife and my children have stayed in Canada, my wife is housewife to take care of my children. Three of them become Canadian citizens inJune, 2022. In September this year 2024, my youngest daughter will enter university. My wife intends go back to our home country to work as a medical doctor because this occupation is her passion and to take care her parent( they are over 75 years old). She will live with me in our home country. My PR card will expire in January 2025. I would like to ask if I come back to Canada with my wife in January, 2027, could I renew my PR card?(
( we will flight to USA and drive a private car to USA-Canada land border ). I really want to keep my permanent resident status because I want to live in Canada with my chidren when we retired.
It would be appriciated if you guys could answer my question. Thank you very much!
Unless your PR status has been revoked by IRCC, you are still a PR of Canada. Only a PR Card expires; status does not. You will be allowed entry into Canada even without a valid PR Card.

Your situation is not good, since you will not be able to meet the Residency Requirement to renew your card. When you plan to return in January 2027, your card will be two years expired and you will have had very few, if any, days spent in Canada for the 5 years prior to your card expiring. You should NOT apply for a PR Card at that time, unless you feel that you have strong H&C grounds, which in my humble opinion...you do not.

When you drive into Canada in 2027, you will be allowed to enter, but the CBSA may issue you a 44(1) report that could be the first official step towards your PR status being revoked. There's no way of knowing what, if anything, the CBSA officer will do; waive you through without question? Asking you myriad questions as to why you failed to meet the R.O.? Or the latter with the dreaded 44(1) report being issued.

If you do lose your PR status, your wife could apply to sponsor you as long as her status is still valid, she has met her own R.O. to remain in compliance and is in Canada.

Good luck!

Behai

Feb 13, 2024
Unless your PR status has been revoked by IRCC, you are still a PR of Canada. Only a PR Card expires; status does not. You will be allowed entry into Canada even without a valid PR Card.

Your situation is not good, since you will not be able to meet the Residency Requirement to renew your card. When you plan to return in January 2027, your card will be two years expired and you will have had very few, if any, days spent in Canada for the 5 years prior to your card expiring. You should NOT apply for a PR Card at that time, unless you feel that you have strong H&C grounds, which in my humble opinion...you do not.

When you drive into Canada in 2027, you will be allowed to enter, but the CBSA may issue you a 44(1) report that could be the first official step towards your PR status being revoked. There's no way of knowing what, if anything, the CBSA officer will do; waive you through without question? Asking you myriad questions as to why you failed to meet the R.O.? Or the latter with the dreaded 44(1) report being issued.

If you do lose your PR status, your wife could apply to sponsor you as long as her status is still valid, she has met her own R.O. to remain in compliance and is in Canada.

Good luck!
Thank you!
I would like to clarify : my wife and my two children have become Canadian citizens since June , 2022 and IRCC said that when I reside with my wife abroad , days I live with my wife are counted days I live in Canada. If we live together in our home country from October, 2024 to January, 2027, will I meet residence obligation to renew my PR card? Thank you very much!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you!
I would like to clarify : my wife and my two children have become Canadian citizens since June , 2022 and IRCC said that when I reside with my wife abroad , days I live with my wife are counted days I live in Canada. If we live together in our home country from October, 2024 to January, 2027, will I meet residence obligation to renew my PR card? Thank you very much!
You could have mentioned that in your initial post. I had no idea that your wife was one of the three, since you simply said you had children.

In any event, it is true that days spent abroad can count towards the Residency Obligation, but it appears to NOT be automatic. IRCC has been know to sometimes use the `who followed whom' formula when determining if those days count or not. Most of the recent discussions in these forums seem to elude to it being more common than not that they are recognized.