+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card on behalf of my mom who is not in Canada

m3633444

Nov 17, 2014
Hi, all.

My mother is currently in China. Her PR card will be expired soon in July. She has met her residency requirments. Normally she would come back to Canada this summer and renew her PR card but due to the COVID situation she does not want to Travel to Canada now.
I am her son and I live in Canada as a Canadian citizen. I am wondering if I can send in her PR card renewal application in Canada on her behalf while she stays in China, and have the new PR card mailed to me. I see there is a "Use of a Representative [IMM 5476]" form, is it as simple as me submitting the application for her and fill out that form?

Please help,
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, all.

My mother is currently in China. Her PR card will be expired soon in July. She has met her residency requirments. Normally she would come back to Canada this summer and renew her PR card but due to the COVID situation she does not want to Travel to Canada now.
I am her son and I live in Canada as a Canadian citizen. I am wondering if I can send in her PR card renewal application in Canada on her behalf while she stays in China, and have the new PR card mailed to me. I see there is a "Use of a Representative [IMM 5476]" form, is it as simple as me submitting the application for her and fill out that form?

Please help,
Thanks!
No she must be in Canada when she sends in her renewal form. She can apply for a PRTD to return to Canada when she is ready.

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016
To add further:

1. Existing PR card becomes useless once new one is issued.

2. One is not allowed to send documents such as PR card, passport etc through mail or courier outside the country. May get into trouble if tried doing that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To add further:

2. One is not allowed to send documents such as PR card, passport etc through mail or courier outside the country. May get into trouble if tried doing that.
You can mail, PR cards.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To add further:

Even Canadian passport is allowed to mail out of the country. No trouble in doing so.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Regradless of the debate about mailing PR card out, you CANNOT apply on-behalf-of your mother when she is NOT physically in Canada.
Representative is to help for the communication and contact during the renewal process. (e.g. receive email)
And IRCC knows if she is outside Canada or not.

Reactions: Buletruck