+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR Card after or before applying for citizenship

ms12001w

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Hi guys

i am going to apply for citizenship in June this year. However my PR Card expires September next year.

now since the processing time may take over a year, i was wondering if I could renew my PR card after i have applied for citizenship or should i do that before i submit my citizenship application form?

i had read somewhere that when you apply for citizenship , you can not renew your PR card, is that true?

how long before expiry date on you PR card can you apply to renew it?

thanks very much

parlvu

Mar 7, 2014
See here. 6 months or else it will be returned. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
you can renew your PR after you apply for citizenship, but is it worth it if the processing is fast. I wouldn't worry about renewing it if you wont be traveling any where. however if you are willing to travel then you can renew it. my PR EXPIRED Before I applied for my citizenship, and yet until today I didn't renew it since I am not willing to go any where soon, its not a problem and have not been a problem since I have other ID's.

ms12001w

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Jabuela said:
Hi
you can renew your PR after you apply for citizenship, but is it worth it if the processing is fast. I wouldn't worry about renewing it if you wont be traveling any where. however if you are willing to travel then you can renew it. my PR EXPIRED Before I applied for my citizenship, and yet until today I didn't renew it since I am not willing to go any where soon, its not a problem and have not been a problem since I have other ID's.
thanks for your response. I am annually palnning on travelling, so that's why i need PR to be able to return to Canada. So I can re-new my PR even though my citizenship application is in process? thanks.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
ms12001w said:
thanks for your response. I am annually palnning on travelling, so that's why i need PR to be able to return to Canada. So I can re-new my PR even though my citizenship application is in process? thanks.
It make a lot of sense to have your travel document current as you might require emergency travel. It's only $50 and the processing time is fast. Just did mine, it was processed under 4 days. I wish citizenship application is that fast.