+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Removing Spousal Sponsorship before Entering Canada

Jay Lampua

Nov 17, 2018
Hi,

I applied to the express entry program as a principal applicant with my spouse being sponsored on the application. There were additional points that we got because of our married status.

It turns out, I may not be interested in going to Canada anymore whereas my spouse wants to continue with the application process and get the PR.

We are waiting for the PPR to come through, having completed our previous documentation / processes. In case we submit a request to strike out his name from the our application, will he be able to apply for a PR individually?

I have heard, anecdotally, that if my spouse's name is not withdrawn from the application, he will not be able to apply or be considered for the express entry program again. Can you please help me with this?

Best,
JL

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi,

I applied to the express entry program as a principal applicant with my spouse being sponsored on the application. There were additional points that we got because of our married status.

It turns out, I may not be interested in going to Canada anymore whereas my spouse wants to continue with the application process and get the PR.

We are waiting for the PPR to come through, having completed our previous documentation / processes. In case we submit a request to strike out his name from the our application, will he be able to apply for a PR individually?

I have heard, anecdotally, that if my spouse's name is not withdrawn from the application, he will not be able to apply or be considered for the express entry program again. Can you please help me with this?

Best,
JL
The primary applicant can't be changed or removed from an application. The thing I would suggest is to get the PR and do the landing. If you want to go back after that, it is up to you. If you are not interested in even travelling, then you have to withdraw the application and submit a new profile with your spouse as the primary applicant.