+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Removing barriers for international students working in essential services to fight COVID-19

ggv13

Nov 29, 2019
Hi,

I'm an international student currently working full-time in a Security Agency as an Invoice Coordinator in Ontario. We support banks and grocery stores. I'm within the 150 gap in between 2 programs making me eligible to work full-time during the gap. My question is can I still work more than 20 hours when my classes start? I'm confused if the "Essential Service or Function" pertains to the Business only or the Specific Job/Duties should also be essential?

Based on IRCC:

April 22, 2020—Ottawa—To help battle the COVID-19 outbreak, starting immediately, the government will remove the restriction that allows international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session, provided they are working in an essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods.

International students and their employers should consult Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada’s Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Outbreak to determine if the work the student is doing would allow them to work more than 20 hours per week during the academic session.

Also, when I checked on the Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Outbreak, security services is not there but it is included in Ontario List of Essential Workplaces:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces:

Services

Security services for residences, businesses and other properties

So, can I still work more than 20 hrs? Please help.

Thank you.

JVF

Star Member
May 14, 2020
I have the same question, I am enrolled FT this Summer but I'm planning to work FT as well. Is that okay as long as its essential business?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I'm an international student currently working full-time in a Security Agency as an Invoice Coordinator in Ontario. We support banks and grocery stores. I'm within the 150 gap in between 2 programs making me eligible to work full-time during the gap. My question is can I still work more than 20 hours when my classes start? I'm confused if the "Essential Service or Function" pertains to the Business only or the Specific Job/Duties should also be essential?

Based on IRCC:

April 22, 2020—Ottawa—To help battle the COVID-19 outbreak, starting immediately, the government will remove the restriction that allows international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session, provided they are working in an essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods.

International students and their employers should consult Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada’s Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Outbreak to determine if the work the student is doing would allow them to work more than 20 hours per week during the academic session.

Also, when I checked on the Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Outbreak, security services is not there but it is included in Ontario List of Essential Workplaces:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces:

Services

Security services for residences, businesses and other properties

So, can I still work more than 20 hrs? Please help.

Thank you.
Wouldn’t consider invoicing for security services as an essential service.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same question, I am enrolled FT this Summer but I'm planning to work FT as well. Is that okay as long as its essential business?
What is your job? You are a student so you should be always prioritizing your studies.

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
@canuck78 : I have received a full-time job offer for role - Database Administrator, working full-time for a Steel Manufacturing company. I am on study permit (with working on or off-campus clause). I will be getting a degree completion letter by Jun 30 , 2020 , but new job requires me to join on Jun 22 as full-time. Database Administrator job role is considered as essential service, also steel manufacturing also considered as part of critical infrastructure, as per - https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/crtcl-nfrstrctr/esf-sfe-en.aspx . Is it OK to join full-time on a valid study permit until I receive my degree completion letter?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but wouldnt the rules about off campus still apply that you could continue to work part time between completing your studies until you received your completion letter and then you apply for PGWP from when you can work full time pending a decision..

As above there was an exception for when still in full time education but personally not seen that exception extended to someone who has completed but still waiting on letter. Maybe someone else has seen that exception or maybe there is simply a gap in the process/guidelines.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
Others can comment but wouldnt the rules about off campus still apply that you could continue to work part time between completing your studies until you received your completion letter and then you apply for PGWP from when you can work full time pending a decision..

As above there was an exception for when still in full time education but personally not seen that exception extended to someone who has completed but still waiting on letter. Maybe someone else has seen that exception or maybe there is simply a gap in the process/guidelines.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html
Please see this response from the official twitter handle of IRCC. It clarifies about completed semester but waiting for completion letter situation -

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 : I have received a full-time job offer for role - Database Administrator, working full-time for a Steel Manufacturing company. I am on study permit (with working on or off-campus clause). I will be getting a degree completion letter by Jun 30 , 2020 , but new job requires me to join on Jun 22 as full-time. Database Administrator job role is considered as essential service, also steel manufacturing also considered as part of critical infrastructure, as per - https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/crtcl-nfrstrctr/esf-sfe-en.aspx . Is it OK to join full-time on a valid study permit until I receive my degree completion letter?
Would not consider your jobs as essential services related to covid. The majority of jobs stated are in healthcare and food distribution Inwould tweet to ask if your particular job qualifies for full-time work during studies.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Would not consider your jobs as essential services related to covid. The majority of jobs stated are in healthcare and food distribution Inwould tweet to ask if your particular job qualifies for full-time work during studies.
Infrastructure, transportation, energy products, primary metal manufacturing are all considered essential.

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
Infrastructure, transportation, energy products, primary metal manufacturing are all considered essential.
Exactly, health care, food supply industries etc.. don't work in isolation, different industries support each other. Hospitals cannot work without electricity or IT systems. As per IRCC, employers will finally decide if their company falls under essential service as per federal guidelines or not. I guess, we should check with HRs before joining full-time as students.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are talking about a very specific program that is directed at esential workers closed related to cofid. OP a database operator job. The example that were given were healthcare workers, grocery store workers, etc. There was no talk of students being able to work extra hours in every essential service. Asking directly will give OP clarity.

intlala

Star Member
May 27, 2018
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
india
We are talking about a very specific program that is directed at esential workers closed related to cofid. OP a database operator job. The example that were given were healthcare workers, grocery store workers, etc. There was no talk of students being able to work extra hours in every essential service. Asking directly will give OP clarity.
Hi, if I search "Database Administrator" and "Steel" , both functions are listed in - https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/crtcl-nfrstrctr/esf-sfe-en.aspx (federal essential services guideline). As per IRCC, we have to refer to this guideline only while taking up full-time job. I can ask on twitter but not sure if IRCC will comment on individual cases as they already published guidelines to be referred by students and employers.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, if I search "Database Administrator" and "Steel" , both functions are listed in - https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/crtcl-nfrstrctr/esf-sfe-en.aspx (federal essential services guideline). As per IRCC, we have to refer to this guideline only while taking up full-time job. I can ask on twitter but not sure if IRCC will comment on individual cases as they already published guidelines to be referred by students and employers.
The confusion here is the other link you posted from IRCC twitter which clearly states the temporary full time waiver applies for an essential occupation whilst classes are in session. yet you have an answer above from IRCC which appears to contradict this versus this link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/04/removing-barriers-for-international-students-working-in-essential-services-to-fight-covid-19.html

Ultimately your decision given we all here can only go with interpretation as per the guidelines