+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Removing a dependent from PR file

asppats12

Sep 30, 2019
Hi,
I wanted some advice on a particular situation. I currently have a PR application being processed. I have select spouse accompanying as "no" for the purpose of points. However, she is still listed as a dependent on the file since my status was married when I was submitted the application. During this wait, we became separated due to personal issues and I will be proceeding with a divorce after the one year of separation. I have a few questions which I have listed below:
1) - Should I remove her as a dependent from my application?
2) - If yes, will this delay the processing time and what would I need to provide to IRCC?
3) - Does she receive any notifications regarding my application even though it being processed for me?

@legalfalcon Would you be able to provide some suggestions?

I would appreciate any advice in this matter.

Thanks,

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi,
I wanted some advice on a particular situation. I currently have a PR application being processed. I have select spouse accompanying as "no" for the purpose of points. However, she is still listed as a dependent on the file since my status was married when I was submitted the application. During this wait, we became separated due to personal issues and I will be proceeding with a divorce after the one year of separation. I have a few questions which I have listed below:
1) - Should I remove her as a dependent from my application?
2) - If yes, will this delay the processing time and what would I need to provide to IRCC?
3) - Does she receive any notifications regarding my application even though it being processed for me?

@legalfalcon Would you be able to provide some suggestions?

I would appreciate any advice in this matter.

Thanks,

1. If you are legally separated, then you have to inform IRCC. You cannot unilaterally remove your spouse, you have to inform IRCC and provide them with documentation and IRCC will remove your spouse from the application.

2. It will not delay the application since to begin with your spouse was non accompanying and you must have already provided the required documents, PCC, passport and medicals.

3. No, it is your application and no notification will be sent to any dependent.

asppats12

Sep 30, 2019
1. If you are legally separated, then you have to inform IRCC. You cannot unilaterally remove your spouse, you have to inform IRCC and provide them with documentation and IRCC will remove your spouse from the application.

2. It will not delay the application since to begin with your spouse was non accompanying and you must have already provided the required documents, PCC, passport and medicals.

3. No, it is your application and no notification will be sent to any dependent.
@legalfalcon Thank you for your response. I have tried calling IRCC but they haven't called me back yet. How can I go about notifying them of this change and do you know what documents I would have to provide?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@legalfalcon Thank you for your response. I have tried calling IRCC but they haven't called me back yet. How can I go about notifying them of this change and do you know what documents I would have to provide?
I'm not sure what number you have been using to call them. There's isn't any mechanism for them to call you back. You should submit a case specific inquiry.

asppats12

Sep 30, 2019
I'm not sure what number you have been using to call them. There's isn't any mechanism for them to call you back. You should submit a case specific inquiry.
I apologize, What I meant was that I called them today and selected the option to have them call me back when it's my turn in queue. As for the case specific inquiry, do you mean raising a web form?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I apologize, What I meant was that I called them today and selected the option to have them call me back when it's my turn in queue. As for the case specific inquiry, do you mean raising a web form?
Yes - you need to raise a case specific inquiry.

asppats12

Sep 30, 2019
So I submitted the case specific inquiry like you all suggested and also got the same answer from the IRCC agent who finally did reach out to me. Thank you all for your help.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
If you want to remove a dependent spouse, you have to provide documents such as divorce judgment, or if it has not been finalised, then the documents that show that it has been initiated.

You can send them visa webform https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Reremi

Apr 2, 2021
Hi guys...please i need anyone the can help me with this.. I applied for PR may 10,2020 its still in process i listed my spouse as non accompanying but now am i will to add him as accompanying dependent..is this possible and will i need to add his wes and ielts...@legalfalcon

Temprofy

Jan 28, 2024
Hello, I'm in quite a unique situation with my application. I applied from within Canada with my common law partner as a dependent. We are both living in Canada, and we both have a PGWP. I received an ITA and our situation has changed since applying. We are expecting our first child in march, and we are having some financial issues and cannot afford the fees for her as a dependent. My partner suggested that I switch her to non-accompanying since she already lives here and she has a work permit. I'm concerned that this is to big of a change for my profile after receiving an ITA. I will lose points for this, however I am still above the minimum points needed for my group and I still qualify for the group I got invited into (Trade occupations). I'm afraid that this is to big of a change on my profile for after receiving an ITA. Should I decline the invitation or will this change not effect my application?