+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote Work while Maintaining Residence in the Nominating Province

canadaorbust1

Star Member
Sep 2, 2021
Folks,

Hope everyone had a fulfilling weekend. I have been pondering a rather convoluted question since getting nominated by Alberta last week.

I understand that I will be required to live in Alberta if I accept the nomination (at least for a couple of years). My question is, are there any restrictions in regard to remote work?

Hypothetically speaking, if I maintain residence in Alberta and work remotely for a company physically located in another province, would that still be considered ok?

Appreciate your insights.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Folks,

Hope everyone had a fulfilling weekend. I have been pondering a rather convoluted question since getting nominated by Alberta last week.

I understand that I will be required to live in Alberta if I accept the nomination (at least for a couple of years). My question is, are there any restrictions in regard to remote work?

Hypothetically speaking, if I maintain residence in Alberta and work remotely for a company physically located in another province, would that still be considered ok?

Defeats the point of PNP which is to gain workers in certain fields that are in need in that province and to gain provincial tax income. You would end upusing Alberta services while your employer will pay taxes based on their location. There is no need to remain permanently in the provinces that granted you PNP. You must show that you move to that province and tried hard to find a job. After a few months of not being able to secure and after hopefully some interviews you are free to relocate to another province or territory. Just make sure to keep all your records showing that you applied for lots of jobs in Alberta, secured some interviews, etc. but no decent jobs or jobs in your field if you are ever questioned about why you didn’t remain in Alberta. You have the right to free movement as a PR but you are expected to do your best and try to relocate to the province that sponsored toy first.

Sep 16, 2020
Defeats the point of PNP which is to gain workers in certain fields that are in need in that province and to gain provincial tax income. You would end upusing Alberta services while your employer will pay taxes based on their location. There is no need to remain permanently in the provinces that granted you PNP. You must show that you move to that province and tried hard to find a job. After a few months of not being able to secure and after hopefully some interviews you are free to relocate to another province or territory. Just make sure to keep all your records showing that you applied for lots of jobs in Alberta, secured some interviews, etc. but no decent jobs or jobs in your field if you are ever questioned about why you didn’t remain in Alberta. You have the right to free movement as a PR but you are expected to do your best and try to relocate to the province that sponsored toy first.
Do not listen to this guy. He is crap. You should be good coz you will be paying tac for your province. Income TAX, property tax etc. So you are contributing to the province

canadaorbust1

Star Member
Sep 2, 2021
Thank you for both of your inputs. I suppose my concern is a bit premature because I haven't even made it to Canada yet. I am just trying to make sure I evaluate it from all possible angles before throwing my hat in the ring. Appreciate all the help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Folks,

Once you have PR, you can do whatever you want.