+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote work for employer outside Canada while working on employer specific work permit (closed work permit) in canada

MUZZ1122

Feb 14, 2023
I am on employer specific work permit (closed work permit) in Canada, and, I have been working for specific employer in Canada. Am I allowed to work remotely for employer which is based in outside Canada and it has no link with Canada while I am working for Canadian employer on closed work permit? Does it have any implication to my PR application going forward?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
That's a good question. Since the employer is not in Canada and seemingly doesn't affect your closed work permit obligation one would think it is ok. However, in such a situation, you would not be declaring income from that outside employer. That's a tax implication if you are currently residing in Canada. But to declare the income raising questions about the closed work permit. Such a dilemma! I really don't have any answers for you.

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019
I am on employer specific work permit (closed work permit) in Canada, and, I have been working for specific employer in Canada. Am I allowed to work remotely for employer which is based in outside Canada and it has no link with Canada while I am working for Canadian employer on closed work permit? Does it have any implication to my PR application going forward?
I specifically asked IRCC this question and they said it was fine.

MUZZ1122

Feb 14, 2023
That's a good question. Since the employer is not in Canada and seemingly doesn't affect your closed work permit obligation one would think it is ok. However, in such a situation, you would not be declaring income from that outside employer. That's a tax implication if you are currently residing in Canada. But to declare the income raising questions about the closed work permit. Such a dilemma! I really don't have any answers for you.
Why not if I declare outside Canada income ? What possible challenges you see ?