+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Remote work and tax

kenzakd

Sep 12, 2019
Hello
I will be arriving to canada as a permanent resident, however for the time being I will keep working remotely for my company that is based in Dubai and they will keep sending my salary to my Dubai bank account

In this case should I declare my revenue? Do you have any idea if I will be taxed the same % as somebody who works in canada?

thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I will be arriving to canada as a permanent resident, however for the time being I will keep working remotely for my company that is based in Dubai and they will keep sending my salary to my Dubai bank account

In this case should I declare my revenue? Do you have any idea if I will be taxed the same % as somebody who works in canada?

thanks
Do you have legal status to work in Dubai?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey
Yes I am a resident of dubai
So you have a WP there? If you are a tax resident in Canada you have to declare your worldwide income and will be taxed on your worldwide income. If living in Canada and able to access services of course you will be taxed. I would suggest hiring an accountant in Canada. There are likely more tax efficient ways for you to get paid.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
I urge you to get counsel from a cross-border tax lawyer, as I suspect that the situation is actually more complex than you think. Your employer needs to adhere to Canadian labor and tax laws (it may be the case that they should work with CRA and make necessary tax deductions and benefit payments).

Because of this, some individuals work as freelancers and then invoice their company each month. This has its own hurdles as discussed in the following link.

https://dev.to/canosielabs/canadians-beware-the-personal-service-business-4kbk

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I urge you to get counsel from a cross-border tax lawyer, as I suspect that the situation is actually more complex than you think. Your employer needs to adhere to Canadian labor and tax laws (it may be the case that they should work with CRA and make necessary tax deductions and benefit payments).

Because of this, some individuals work as freelancers and then invoice their company each month. This has its own hurdles as discussed in the following link.

https://dev.to/canosielabs/canadians-beware-the-personal-service-business-4kbk
Agree. This is much more complex than being an employee within the same country a your employer. 100% you need to pay taxes on your worldwide income though. How you get paid, whether their are tax treaties, whether your employer has offices in Canada, etc. are just a few issues that need to be considered.