+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relocating to Mississauga as a single mother with 2 kids ( 6 and 3 years old)

Sabakoni

Jan 7, 2022
hello everyone,
Basically I'm getting a divorce soon. I am considering to relocate to Mississauga as I have friends there.
I would like to ask for your help to develop a budget on what my expenses might be and what benefits will I be eligible for.
please help me fill in the blank the amount per month. a single mother with 2 kids (6 and 3 years old)
  • House rent (2bedroom):
  • Car insurance+ house insurance + gas:
  • car installment:
  • internet + cellphone + tv:
  • heating + water + electricity
  • grocery:
  • what benefits will be able to claim and how much would you expect per month for both kids:

I would really appreciate your honest feedback on this, as I will not be working the first few months and I don't want to miscalculate my expenses.

thank you for your continuous support

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
hello everyone,
Basically I'm getting a divorce soon. I am considering to relocate to Mississauga as I have friends there.
I would like to ask for your help to develop a budget on what my expenses might be and what benefits will I be eligible for.
please help me fill in the blank the amount per month. a single mother with 2 kids (6 and 3 years old)
  • House rent (2bedroom):
  • Car insurance+ house insurance + gas:
  • car installment:
  • internet + cellphone + tv:
  • heating + water + electricity
  • grocery:
  • what benefits will be able to claim and how much would you expect per month for both kids:

I would really appreciate your honest feedback on this, as I will not be working the first few months and I don't want to miscalculate my expenses.

thank you for your continuous support
This is just an idea, per month
Rent $2000, if you don't want to live in a shithole with 10 other people
Car, house, gas, hard to say, what model, how old, how much do you drive? But lets say $500
Car payment, again, Rolls Royce or 4th hand Toyota? $400
internet, TV etc etc $200
Heating, power etc etc $200
Grocery for 3, $600

So that's almost $4000. I am sure some will argue that this is too much or not enough. As to child benefits, no idea, don't have any.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Rent is expensive and maybe you can get a nice basement apartment for $2000.

Other costs to consider - do you need childcare when you start working (it is expensive in Canada)? Will your kids join any activities - sports, art etc? Do you have any medical needs not covered by OHIP - prescriptions, dentist, optometry etc. Do you have furniture?

Do you have an Ontario Driver’s license or Canadian one? Can’t insure your car without one.

As for benefits - are you a tax resident of Canada? Is your ex-spouse in Canada? If so, you will need to work out together if you and your spouse are eligible for benefits. You both can’t claim the Child Benefit. CBB is available once taxes are filed. Canadian Revenue Agency will determine how much you receive. Ontario has a program which is administered by CRA too.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need childcare for both your children after school and perhaps before school. That can be close to $700/month for each kid. Do you have Canadian job experience? Recent job experience? Is there a reason you want to move to Canada if you've never lived in Canada? Does your custody agreement allow you to move to Canada. How much child support will you be receiving. How much you get g
for CCB will depend on your international family income for the past 1-2 years. Agree with 4k but you may need more depending on childcare. You will have quite a lot of start-up costs to consider so thqt woyld be many thpusands of dollars. Without employment or a credit history you can expect that it may be difficult to rent a home and ypu nay be required to oay more upfront, get a co-signer, etc. Have you atarted looking fof empployment and do you know what type income yoi can expect. If ic us closer to minimum wage I would not suggest living in the GTA.