10-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-01-2018
VISA ISSUED...
12-02-2018
LANDED..........
07-07-2018
Dear friends,

I have received PPR letter from London Visa Office on January 4th and will be proceeding to submit passports for myself and my family for stamping in the coming days.

My plan is to do a soft landing this year with a permanent relocation in 2 years i.e. 2020.

Once I land there, I would be having 3 years left on my PR Card which would be enough to apply for citizenship later onwards.

Kindly let me know if this is worth it or I may run into trouble with the authorities with regards to my intent to settle in Canada. I am only delaying my permanent relocation because it is easier for me to save money in UAE and have significant amount of funds in hand while moving to Canada.

Reactions: Emmygeo23

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your only obligation is to spend 730 days in Canada in the initial 5 years from landing. So your plan to complete a landing, return to your home country and then finally settle in Canada in 2020 is not a problem.

In fact the maximum you could stay away would be close to 3 years but then for sure you would need to stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving.

Do not by the way confuse PR card expiry date with the initial residency obligation. The latter is based on the initial 5 years from the landing date. Citizenship qualification is based on Physical presence in Canada 3 years out of 5 and not validity of PR card.

People do soft landings all the time as it is accepted that often people have things to resolve before making the final move.

You will need your PR cards to travel back to Canada so assume you will be making arrangements to have them mailed to friends in Canada who can then courier them to you.

Bhaarat

Jan 9, 2015
I landed in Canada on May 4th 2015 and then went back to India, Spent 5 days in Canada in 2016 and then no entry in Canada in 2017. Now i am making a permanent landing on APRIL 2018 . PR card expiry date is July 2020. Please advise how does the calculation works,

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I landed in Canada on May 4th 2015 and then went back to India, Spent 5 days in Canada in 2016 and then no entry in Canada in 2017. Now i am making a permanent landing on APRIL 2018 . PR card expiry date is July 2020. Please advise how does the calculation works,
Hey, They actually have a calculator online for calculating the days to see if you're good for applying for citizenship.
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

As for your PR obligations, it seems like you'd be fine.
since you card doesn't expire until July '20. and you plan to be permanently landing in Canada on April '18. That gives you 2 years and 3 months which would be over 730 days in those 5 years and you'd be able to renew your PR card.
But since you've hardly been present in Canada since you've landed. it seems like you won't be able to apply for citizenship until around April of 2021.
UNLESS, you had legal status and were present in Canada for 2 years prior to your landing as a PR, then you could count 1 year towards that and be able to apply in April of 2020.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hey, They actually have a calculator online for calculating the days to see if you're good for applying for citizenship.
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

As for your PR obligations, it seems like you'd be fine.
since you card doesn't expire until July '20. and you plan to be permanently landing in Canada on April '18. That gives you 2 years and 3 months which would be over 730 days in those 5 years and you'd be able to renew your PR card.
But since you've hardly been present in Canada since you've landed. it seems like you won't be able to apply for citizenship until around April of 2021.
UNLESS, you had legal status and were present in Canada for 2 years prior to your landing as a PR, then you could count 1 year towards that and be able to apply in April of 2020.
just to clarify the last statement the OP as I see it would not be able to claim any pre PR time given citizenship is based on the 5 years preceeding the citizenship application. Given the OP landed April 2015 and won’t even of accumulated 2 years until it seems April 2020 then any time before 4/2015 would be irrelevant anyway. The before PR rule only really works where someone gets in some residency immediately after initial landing and not starting 3 years later.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
just to clarify the last statement the OP as I see it would not be able to claim any pre PR time given citizenship is based on the 5 years preceeding the citizenship application. Given the OP landed April 2015 and won’t even of accumulated 2 years until it seems April 2020 then any time before 4/2015 would be irrelevant anyway. The before PR rule only really works where someone gets in some residency immediately after initial landing and not starting 3 years later.
Oh thank you for correcting me. I guess that makes sense.
In my situation, I landed as a student in 2015, got residency in 2017.. so those two years will combine to one year towards my citizenship appliations and I can apply late next year for it. (apparently) But it does make sense that it would have to be within the 5 year mark to fulfill the 3/5 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like you only have a month or two of wiggle room to meet your residency requirements l. I would save the time for any emergencies.

khan2918

Jan 15, 2018
Hi, I am going to receive my workpermit in few days.
If I land in Canada montreal, when am i going to receive my PR. And when am I eligible for passport?.
Approximately how much time does it takes?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
If I land in Canada montreal, when am i going to receive my PR. And when am I eligible for passport?.
If you reside in Canada continuously after becoming a Permanent Resident, you would be eligible to apply to sit the citizenship exam after three years. You would then need to wait for your application to be gone through, sit the test, and have a ceremony. Until and unless you become a citizen, you will continue to travel on your original passport (except for into Canada, which you will do on your PR card).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to apply for PR. You don't just get PR from working in Canada. Think you need to look at the various ways to immigrate to Canada.

khan2918

Jan 15, 2018
Thank you for the information. So it is a lengthy 5-7 years process.
@canuck78 yes I am new. And I need to look at various ways. But it is too lengthy and complex. Hard to understand. Is there any step by step tutorial. E.g. I am coming in Global Talent Stream program which satisfies my CAQ and LMIA. So after that what other steps i have to take. And after how much time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the information. So it is a lengthy 5-7 years process.
@canuck78 yes I am new. And I need to look at various ways. But it is too lengthy and complex. Hard to understand. Is there any step by step tutorial. E.g. I am coming in Global Talent Stream program which satisfies my CAQ and LMIA. So after that what other steps i have to take. And after how much time.
You have to look at the various ways to get permanent residency and apply. Becoming a permanent resident may only take a few years or even less. Then you must meet a residency obligation to keep PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Reactions: khan2918

khan2918

Jan 15, 2018
Hi,
I have one new question, i submitted an application on cic for my wife work permit. After submission of forms, we are asked for biometrics only. But now a person told me that they might ask you medical of your wife as well in near future. My wife was in Pakistan until 2nd September,17. Now we are in Ireland. I have two questions:
1) Can they ask for medical? I am asking because currently, they didn't ask in the checklist.
2) on March 4th, she will complete her 6 consecutive months in Ireland. Can this bypass the compulsion of medical?. I mean as they ask for a compulsory medical test for residents from countries like Pakistan if in past one year you lived for consecutive 6 months in a specified country e.g. Pakistan.
Can 6 months continuous living in Ireland can help in avoiding the medical test?
Thank you in advance.
Regards

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
If you reside in Canada continuously after becoming a Permanent Resident, you would be eligible to apply to sit the citizenship exam after three years. You would then need to wait for your application to be gone through, sit the test, and have a ceremony. Until and unless you become a citizen, you will continue to travel on your original passport (except for into Canada, which you will do on your PR card).
You will still enter Canada with your passport, and not PR card. PR card is for boarding a commercial transportation into Canada