+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relinquishment Question- Pls advice

welcomehome

Jul 27, 2011
Leon I actually meant to ask about Denial of my Travel Doc Application in the worst scenario if I go alone and they insist on coming together with wife to review her residency status. In that case would they technically reject my travel Doc Appln? Will that affect anything like travelling to Canada in future with my US GC etc?

Also In Question 15- Time Spend in Canada. Is it required to give all the short 2 day trips also which I have made to Canada in the past? It might be tough to recall the exact dates for last 5 years.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You want them to reject your travel doc application because you want to give up your PR. You might actually want to write on the travel doc application somewhere that you do know that you have lost your PR due to not meeting the residency requirements and you are ok with this as you have a US GC and live in the US now and just want to be able to visit Canada as a tourist in the future.

After you lose your PR, I do not know if it affects your ability to travel to Canada as a visitor. If they think that you had wanted to keep the PR, they might think you are a risk to overstay but if you show that you have a job in the US, you are ok. It's like any other visitor going to Canada, if you don't seem to have a clear purpose and something to draw you back home after your visit, they may think you are a risk to overstay. Still, it is not like you have many options here. If you relinquish it, you might have problems at the border and if you don't, you will probably also have problems, maybe even more likely to have problems, especially after your PR card expires.

welcomehome

Jul 27, 2011
Ok Guys,
I went to this consulate this week and submitted the travel document. I was interviewed after 1 and half hours. She asked me why I didn't want the PR. I told her that I had couldn't migrate to Canada because of Job reasons. She was convinced and gave me 2 forms to sign. The first one was to accept the fact that you are Relinquishing the PR and the second one was a waiver to the 30 days wait period which generally is given to appeal if you change your mind. I signed both right there and was done with the process. She then sends this document to Head Quarters and they update it in their system that I have relinquished. Make sure you take copies of the forms that you sign which is a proof of relinquishment in case you have to travel immdly to Canada on any other visa/ GC. She also said that the family can relinquish their PR separately but has to be personally present.

I hope this information will be useful to other people who would like to Relinquish. Special Thanks to Leon for all the expert advice.

Regards,
Welcomehome

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
welcomehome said:
Ok Guys,
I went to this consulate this week and submitted the travel document. I was interviewed after 1 and half hours. She asked me why I didn't want the PR. I told her that I had couldn't migrate to Canada because of Job reasons. She was convinced and gave me 2 forms to sign. The first one was to accept the fact that you are Relinquishing the PR and the second one was a waiver to the 30 days wait period which generally is given to appeal if you change your mind. I signed both right there and was done with the process. She then sends this document to Head Quarters and they update it in their system that I have relinquished. Make sure you take copies of the forms that you sign which is a proof of relinquishment in case you have to travel immdly to Canada on any other visa/ GC. She also said that the family can relinquish their PR separately but has to be personally present.

I hope this information will be useful to other people who would like to Relinquish. Special Thanks to Leon for all the expert advice.

Regards,
Welcomehome
Thanks man, but how did she know you didn't wanted to keep the PR? I mean you submitted an application for travel document? Did you say it yourself on the interview or wrote it somewhere in your application?

welcomehome

Jul 27, 2011
Well, I informed them that I wanted to voluntarily relinquish the PR and they guide me through the process of filling the travel document which is really used to determine the Residency Status. Once they determine you have not met the residency requirement they give you two forms to sign which are for Relinquishing.

Thanks

anthcott@yahoo.com

Star Member
Jul 7, 2009
welcomehome said:
Well, I informed them that I wanted to voluntarily relinquish the PR and they guide me through the process of filling the travel document which is really used to determine the Residency Status. Once they determine you have not met the residency requirement they give you two forms to sign which are for Relinquishing.

Thanks
Thank you welcomehome for your post on relinquishing process. I am also in similar situation and lost my PR status, but now i intend to apply again and need to relinquish my previous PR status. Which consulate did you go to relinquish? Did they keep your old PR card? Also, based on your post it seems like a days work, am I correct?

Source

Oct 3, 2011
Dear welcome home can you kindly share a little bit more details around the questions that they ask and what consulate was it? I am in the similar situation but I mailed the travel document application in today they sent me an email saying that we should come in for interview. I got gc and never lived there so what do you think I should say. Thanks a lot for your help.