+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

religious worker

ladymichelle

Feb 19, 2010
Hi - I have been offered a job as pastor of a church in British Columbia. Having read through FW1, I understand that I would fall into Regulation R186(I) Clergy 'Work without a work permit' I understand I would need to provide supporting documentation including an offer of employment at the POE plus other information which will enable the officer to assess the genuineness of the job. I also understand that if granted R186(I) I am also granted temporary resident and will have 'visitor record' issued enabling me to obtain medical insurance, SIN and ensure my children's schooling in Canada. Could you confirm that I have understood the information correctly and that what is described above is the correct procedure? I would be bringing my wife and 4 children, does the R186(I) cover my family too? including residency? Would there be any other forms/applications that I would need to complete prior to travel? Many Thanks

btmilan

Feb 7, 2010
All you need is a letter proving the legitimacy of the job offer. Make sure that the church that issues it states a specific timeframe (mine was 2 years). You may want to have proof of ordination or if you have a religion degree or anything, but you may not need it. The visitor record will list all accompanying family members; I'm not sure about ensuring them the right to schooling in Canada, but I imagine that won't be difficult. The biggest thing is having a basic value of all of the things you are bringing across the border to settle, so that customs can note it.

I did the same thing 2 years ago. I literally pulled up to the border, went inside, showed them my letter, and left with a visitor record. They did not even ask to see ordination documents or anything.

I live in a small city in Northern Manitoba, and I got a little bit of "You can't do this" when I applied locally for my health coverage and SIN number, because I had a visitor record and not a work permit. But once they spoke with someone who knew what they were doing, everything went fine.