+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reliability Clearance

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm a PR living in Ontario for one year. I received a very nice conditional job offer, where they need to conduct reliability screening clearance.

Since it requires 5 years back security screening, they will have to go back to the records from my home country.

What I wanted to ask, during the PR process the government already did a very deep and extensive security screening and obviously I was clean. Do you think this will be of any help to pass the clearance this time easily? Maybe the government will not need to get in contact with my home country as their records are quite recent and I have not left Canada in this one year.

Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone,

I'm a PR living in Ontario for one year. I received a very nice conditional job offer, where they need to conduct reliability screening clearance.

Since it requires 5 years back security screening, they will have to go back to the records from my home country.

What I wanted to ask, during the PR process the government already did a very deep and extensive security screening and obviously I was clean. Do you think this will be of any help to pass the clearance this time easily? Maybe the government will not need to get in contact with my home country as their records are quite recent and I have not left Canada in this one year.

Thank you.
No. It has no impact on future screening. It will be treated as a new, from scratch, application.

Reactions: mhbin

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Sorry, no idea. Based on my own experience with clearance levels in the UK, it's likely to be very individual.
Having said that, "Reliability Status" is the very bottom rung of the clearance ladder, so would take much less time than the higher levels.

See http://ottawa.ca/cs/groups/content/@webottawa/documents/pdf/mdaw/mtkx/~edisp/cap201212.pdf
Wow, in that PDF it says:
"The general wait time to process a Reliability Status is 2 to 8 weeks, provided that an out of country check and/or fingerprints are not required. The clearance process could be delayed if: You have lived outside of Canada in the past five years (this can increase your wait time to over 1 year)"

1 year? This must be a rare occasion. Even 2 to 8 weeks is very long. I was thinking that it can be done in around 1 week. I wonder if the employer will wait that long.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Wow, in that PDF it says:
"The general wait time to process a Reliability Status is 2 to 8 weeks, provided that an out of country check and/or fingerprints are not required. The clearance process could be delayed if: You have lived outside of Canada in the past five years (this can increase your wait time to over 1 year)"

1 year? This must be a rare occasion. Even 2 to 8 weeks is very long. I was thinking that it can be done in around 1 week. I wonder if the employer will wait that long.
Welcome to security screening. Now you see why the very basic checks done during immigration are not relevant.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
If you lived in Canada for last 5 years then it takes 4-8 weeks to process.
If you lived outside Canada in NATO country for last 5 years it can take 8 weeks to process.
If you lived outside Canada in non NATO country for last 5 years then they will call you for interview and it will take 1 year to get interview slot plus 2 more months to decide on your result.

mhbin

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
If you lived in Canada for last 5 years then it takes 4-8 weeks to process.
If you lived outside Canada in NATO country for last 5 years it can take 8 weeks to process.
If you lived outside Canada in non NATO country for last 5 years then they will call you for interview and it will take 1 year to get interview slot plus 2 more months to decide on your result.
This is acceptable as I am from a NATO country. May I ask you the source of this timeline?

Thank you.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is acceptable as I am from a NATO country. May I ask you the source of this timeline?

Thank you.
I saw this from a reddit post. You may want to search clearance stuff on reddit and will hopefully get it

Reactions: mhbin

casadog

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Hi

What did you end up doing? How long it was to get it? Were you accepted for this job? Did you get the reliability status that was a condition to get the job?

Can you please share your experience. I have sent you a message for a private conversation as I am in a similar situation. Please help

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
What did you end up doing? How long it was to get it? Were you accepted for this job? Did you get the reliability status that was a condition to get the job?
It used to take around a month but right now it takes more. Also a lot depends on who is doing the security clearance. If your future employer is doing the clearance, it will be much faster than if the clearance is done by a staffing firm. If a staffing firm is doing the clearance, it might take 3-9 months or even more.

Another point is that if you can't get police certificates from the countries you lived in due to COVID-19 closures, you will have to wait until you can get them. There is a way around this if your job is considered essential for the functioning of the government.

I recently got the reliability status and it was not a very smooth process due to the coronavirus related shutdowns.

Dank

Aug 15, 2016
I am filling in an application to get my Reliability status for federal work. There is a question in the questionnaire I have to fill, which asks about assets including financial, property etc. I am not sure what level of details are required. Do I have to give bank and account details etc.? The application itself has no mention of adding details. It just says mention assets. Anyone who has filled the Reliability Status questionnaire, please guide. I am on temporary work permit and also wanted to know what would be the impact on future taxation including if I were to go in for PR.