+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relevant Experience - will I get rejected?

Coach

Jul 19, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking at applying as a Business Immigrant under the Self-Employed stream. My occupation is as a coach (NOC 5252). My concern is if I qualify under the definition of having "relevant experience".

During the past 10 years I have been self-employed as a coach, 4 to 5 of these years as full-time....HOWEVER, during the most recent years I have not worked full-time (just part-time) as a self-employed as a coach because I had my son and I undertook and passed a Bachelors degree (4yrs). So taking into account the past 4-5 years, I do not think I will have enough hours during this timeframe, although I have worked as a self-employed coach for WAY more hours than required before giving birth and completing my studies.

So it seems like I have the actual real world experience, but because I'm now a mother and undertook further education the 5 year limit will prevent me from qualifying? Seems unjust! If I was male I might not have had this problem!!

Could "substitution of evaluation" come into play?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Coach said:
Hi,

I'm looking at applying as a Business Immigrant under the Self-Employed stream. My occupation is as a coach (NOC 5252). My concern is if I qualify under the definition of having "relevant experience".

During the past 10 years I have been self-employed as a coach, 4 to 5 of these years as full-time....HOWEVER, during the most recent years I have not worked full-time (just part-time) as a self-employed as a coach because I had my son and I undertook and passed a Bachelors degree (4yrs). So taking into account the past 4-5 years, I do not think I will have enough hours during this timeframe, although I have worked as a self-employed coach for WAY more hours than required before giving birth and completing my studies.

So it seems like I have the actual real world experience, but because I'm now a mother and undertook further education the 5 year limit will prevent me from qualifying? Seems unjust! If I was male I might not have had this problem!!

Could "substitution of evaluation" come into play?
1. It maybe unfair, but here are the points you would get for experience in the 5 year prior to the application.

Two years of relevant experience 20
Three years of relevant experience 25
Four years of relevant experience 30
Five years of relevant experience 35

Education with a degree, should be worth 20

Age 10

Language 16

Adaptibility ?

Since you only require 35 points to apply So the only reason why you shouldn't qualify is if you don't have 2 years experience in the past 5

IMHO CIC/CHC will not use substitute evaluation to overcome lack of experience.