+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relationship Support Letters Examples

Jan 14, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am about to sponsor my Polish girlfriend for inland PR as a common-law partner. There is lots of talk about the requirement for two notarized letters, or two statutory declarations, from friends and family vouching for our relationship, however I cannot find anything in the PR Checklist (5589) or the Guides (5525 or 5289) which state that these letters are required. The Checklist says that we can submit form 5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union), however it is not required. The checklist also says that we may submit two letters from friends/family as one of many different forms of additional proof of our relationship (Part B, Q7c), but it does not state that they are required, nor does it state that they must be notarized. All the posts about the letters being required are pre-2016, so maybe CIC changed the rules?

Thanks!

BertlCamus

Star Member
Sep 26, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am about to sponsor my Polish girlfriend for inland PR as a common-law partner. There is lots of talk about the requirement for two notarized letters, or two statutory declarations, from friends and family vouching for our relationship, however I cannot find anything in the PR Checklist (5589) or the Guides (5525 or 5289) which state that these letters are required. The Checklist says that we can submit form 5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union), however it is not required. The checklist also says that we may submit two letters from friends/family as one of many different forms of additional proof of our relationship (Part B, Q7c), but it does not state that they are required, nor does it state that they must be notarized. All the posts about the letters being required are pre-2016, so maybe CIC changed the rules?

Thanks!
When we applied last year our letters did not need notarization. Our common-law declaration on the other hand did need notarization. You need the latter for an OWP but not for the PR application alone. It can't hurt to include it though. So if she applies for an OWP then the notarized common law form is essential

Reactions: boredinwinterpeg
Jan 14, 2017
When we applied last year our letters did not need notarization. Our common-law declaration on the other hand did need notarization. You need the latter for an OWP but not for the PR application alone. It can't hurt to include it though. So if she applies for an OWP then the notarized common law form is essential
Great, thanks for the reply! That's good to know. How many letters from friends and family did you include?

And congratulations on getting approved!

Reactions: BertlCamus

Apricity

Oct 25, 2018
Alberta
Category........
FAM
When sponsoring a common-law partner should we get both statutory declarations (say, by each of our parents) as well as notarized letters of support from family and friends?

dj0010

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
hello i have a question,

does it matter if all of our friends and relative wrote the same heading? ( dear ms./ mr. officer) . they just followed the sample heading we gave. is it okay? hope the officers wont think of anything else.

vpsw

Apr 23, 2017
Hello Everyone. I have a quick question. Do the letters from friends and family have to be posted to my mailing address or they can simply hand write the letters and hand it over to me. Please Help

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Hello Everyone. I have a quick question. Do the letters from friends and family have to be posted to my mailing address or they can simply hand write the letters and hand it over to me. Please Help
they should be addressed to CIC, as my boss who is an Immigration lawyer tell his clients to .

Oct 27, 2019
Hi,

I am applying for student visa restoration. I wanted to ask my cousin who is already leaving in Canada since the 1980s to make a letter of support. He will be supporting my food and accommodation during my stay and study here. Both (my cousin and his wife) have stable work. They had two kids a college and a high school. Can you help us construct a letter of support?
thank you very much.

LalaBella

Jun 11, 2021
Good Day. Can a ask po a sample for an intent letter of girlfriend to ask for visa request to get marry her boyfriend to Canada. Thanks

joash9292

May 29, 2017
I think common law and conjugal partners require two statutory declarations (meaning notarized written statements). Below I copied the letter I sent asking friends and family to write letters on our behalf. This may let a bit more helpful than one sample. The responses I got were quite varied...

Here is the letter I wrote to friends and family asking for letters of support...

Dear Friends and Family,

As you know I am seeking Permanent Residence status in Ontario, Canada through the Family Class immigration category. I am technically called a "Conjugal Partner" (nice and descriptive, isn't it?) and XXXX is my Sponsor. As part of the immigration application we are required to provide evidence that we are indeed a genuine couple. This includes written correspondence, passport stamps from visits to see each other, plane ticket stubs, photos, etc. We are also required to document the history of our relationship (which was kind of a fun exercise).

An important part of this evidence of genuine coupledom/coupleship, whatever you want to call it, is documentation from family and friends. My brother and his wife have agreed to make sworn testimony on our behalf, but from reading Canadian immigration blogs it appears that the more documentary evidence we can provide from external sources the more likely our application will be approved swiftly, or at least not denied on this basis.

So I am writing today to ask if you would write an email on our behalf and send it to me (or XXXX, if you prefer) by Friday. I realize this request is somewhat vague as to the content of the email, so I've included a list of basic points to cover at the bottom of this message. You are certainly welcome to write more, or less...whatever you are comfortable with putting in writing to support our Family Class application.

For those of you who respond, please accept my heartfelt gratitude for your timely assistance in this matter. For those who chose not to respond for any reason, please know that I accept your decision with much grace and goodwill.

Kindest regards,
Allison

General information to consider including in your message (this can be written in French or in English, by the way)...

1. A description of how you know either one of us (typically the person you knew first)...examples
I am a friend of XXX, I was a co-worker of XXX, I am the sister of XXX, etc

2. A description of how you became aware of our relationship, when you met the other partner, activities we participated in together, etc

3. A statement to the effect that, in your judgement, we are in a real, loving, ongoing, genuine (you choose the words) relationship based on your personal knowledge and experiences
So when we submit the letter to CIC, do we need to submit the original signed letteror the photocopies? Just asking because what if they require it if there is a interview?

tarekahf

Sep 1, 2017
Thank you to everyone who provided an answer to this question. This was so helpful. I was requested to provide a letter for a relative to support his return to Canada and his application to sponsor his wife to get PR in Canada. Also, my relative requested a copy of my ID like a driver's license or passport with the support letter. Is this a common practice? What could go wrong if I don't provide such a document?

I appreciate your feedback.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you to everyone who provided an answer to this question. This was so helpful. I was requested to provide a letter for a relative to support his return to Canada and his application to sponsor his wife to get PR in Canada. Also, my relative requested a copy of my ID like a driver's license or passport with the support letter. Is this a common practice? What could go wrong if I don't provide such a document?

I appreciate your feedback.
In my opinion you don't need to provide ID or others, at least if you're a Canadian resident. Just provide address and phone number and sign.

Reactions: ERCAN