+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Relationship status "Separated" after receiving COPR

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015
Hello members - needed some advice from you guys.

I have a COPR (expired, but got the update from IRCC that when I am ready to travel i just need to inform them via webform, post which I can travel with the extended visa. All this while me and my Spouse and the child were ok to go there however the relationship seem to have broken down recently and we have been living separately for the past couple of months. There does not seem to be any chance for reconciliation which means my family (Spouse and child) cannot accompany me to Canada.

Can I still do the landing without my family - but before doing that I will have to inform IRCC about my change in relationship status. Obviously I can cannot provide any supporting documents proving my "separated" status.

What are the chances that I will get my visa extended and they will consider "separated" status.? Please help me navigate through this puzzle.

abqalhamairi

Jun 23, 2019
Firstly, I am deeply sorry about your situation and let me suggest to you before anything that with this pandemic, holding a steady relationship was never more difficult. Therefore, I hope you find a solution to your dilemma with your wife.
next, regarding you informing IRCC. It is not mandatory to land with all your family in Canada at the same time, therefore, if there is even the slightest chance of reconciliation, dont inform IRCC and simply travel alone. If you reach to good terms with your wife (and i hope you two do), she and your baby can join you there Later on.

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions. Actually I thought that IRCC mentioned that the entire family should come together before the expiry of the visa.

In case I travel alone and my family does not join me later, will it affect my PR status?

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions. Actually I thought that IRCC mentioned that the entire family should come together before the expiry of the visa.

In case I travel alone and my family does not join me later, will it affect my PR status?
Can someone comment on my query please?

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015

Any views from anyone please?

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
As in... It will not impact my PR status right, if they don't join me later?
your PR status will not be impacted. It is not mandatory for all applicants+dependants to do their landing together. only requirement is for primary applicant to finish landing first. however theirs will be revoked if they dont travel before expiry date. you might want to inform IRCC about their intent to not accompany you to canada, you can do it before or after you arrive here

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
As the primary applicant, you are free to land before your family does. Before you go ahead and notify the IRCC about your spouse's intent to not accompany you, please make sure you have that specifically stated by your spouse, in writing. I would not recommend pressuring your spouse into deciding either way.

Your family have the right to change their minds and land until the very last day that the COPR is valid so be very mindful of how you proceed in this regard. You can leave the option to them and you are free to inform the IRCC when your relationship status actually legally changes.

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015
As the primary applicant, you are free to land before your family does. Before you go ahead and notify the IRCC about your spouse's intent to not accompany you, please make sure you have that specifically stated by your spouse, in writing. I would not recommend pressuring your spouse into deciding either way.

Your family have the right to change their minds and land until the very last day that the COPR is valid so be very mindful of how you proceed in this regard. You can leave the option to them and you are free to inform the IRCC when your relationship status actually legally changes.
OK. What if we are not in conversation with each other and I don't get anything in writing?

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015
your PR status will not be impacted. It is not mandatory for all applicants+dependants to do their landing together. only requirement is for primary applicant to finish landing first. however theirs will be revoked if they dont travel before expiry date. you might want to inform IRCC about their intent to not accompany you to canada, you can do it before or after you arrive here
Thank you.

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
OK. What if we are not in conversation with each other and I don't get anything in writing?
Once you have official documentation to show that you are divorced or legally separated, take the necessary steps. IF that happens before the COPR lapses, that's something you should absolutely notify the IRCC of.

Keep in mind that you applied with your spouse and child for the PR, so to state now that they will not be accompanying, before you have completed your landing process changes the grounds on which you have been granted your COPR.

As it is, no one can predict the future. Things seem bleak for a reconciliation today but that might change as time passes, or not. Either way, don't take a hasty decision about revoking COPR etc., for a situation that will have a long term impact.

So write to the IRCC about your intent to travel and extension of COPR. Share the details with your spouse when you do receive the extension and let things rest there.

Complete your landing process as you would have otherwise done.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Keep in mind that you applied with your spouse and child for the PR, so to state now that they will not be accompanying, before you have completed your landing process changes the grounds on which you have been granted your COPR.
No. Don't say this because it's untrue. Just as a primary applicant who gets married after being granted COPR and updates their status to have their spouse join them is fine, so too is a primary applicant having a relationship end after COPR but before landing. Absolutely nothing changes the "grounds on which" the PR was granted.

Suggesting otherwise seems to imply that the relationship change would have an impact on the COPR which is an absolute falsehood.

Were this a spousal sponsorship application, where the primary applicant would not be Canadian but was being sponsored by a spouse who was Canadian/PR, only then would there be an issue.

Reactions: Histrionics

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
No. Don't say this because it's untrue. Just as a primary applicant who gets married after being granted COPR and updates their status to have their spouse join them is fine, so too is a primary applicant having a relationship end after COPR but before landing. Absolutely nothing changes the "grounds on which" the PR was granted.

Suggesting otherwise seems to imply that the relationship change would have an impact on the COPR which is an absolute falsehood.

Were this a spousal sponsorship application, where the primary applicant would not be Canadian but was being sponsored by a spouse who was Canadian/PR, only then would there be an issue.
I see. Thanks for correcting my understanding.

jeet_100

Sep 13, 2015
Once you have official documentation to show that you are divorced or legally separated, take the necessary steps. IF that happens before the COPR lapses, that's something you should absolutely notify the IRCC of.

As it is, no one can predict the future. Things seem bleak for a reconciliation today but that might change as time passes, or not. Either way, don't take a hasty decision about revoking COPR etc., for a situation that will have a long term impact.

So write to the IRCC about your intent to travel and extension of COPR. Share the details with your spouse when you do receive the extension and let things rest there.

Complete your landing process as you would have otherwise done.
I have already written to IRCC stating my intent to travel and asking for extension.. Waiting for their reply.

In the meantime am wondering that I may not get anything in Writing from my spouse about her intent to not accompany me. In that case if I do the landing alone and my family don't join me later, I hope that my PR status will not get impacted.

Also when I let IRCC know about my 'separated' status, they may ask me for some document /evidence which I will not have most likely. What are the chances that they will extend my PR and will be okay for me to do the landing alone.