+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejected Refugee to illegal status

He20155182

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
Hello all,

I am Palestinian refugee holding a travel document from Egypt. I was born and living in a gulf county before coming to Canada.

I came to Canada Three years ago as a student. I had a lawyer when I first came and he suggested that I should apply for a Refugee Status due to my statelessness. Therefore, I did. It was rejected and then the appeal got rejected.

In the process I obtained a Canadian Bachelor degree and got an open work permit; found a job in my field of study. Also, my employer is willing to do anything if there is anything to be done to help out( I do understand that this work experience doesn't qualify for Canadian experience because I don't have a legal status)

At this point I don't have a valid legal status in Canada or in another country. I was just wondering if someone has the knowledge or the experience and suggest what is the best next move. Thank you.

jack_2001

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
What i think is that the lawyer you used isn't a good enough... Now you must go to a good lawyer no way to play games with the remaining hope for you.
Lawyers in your case are expensive... I suggest going to Michael lubach in london he is a good one....

He20155182

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
What i think is that the lawyer you used isn't a good enough... Now you must go to a good lawyer no way to play games with the remaining hope for you.
Lawyers in your case are expensive... I suggest going to Michael lubach in london he is a good one....
I agree with the fact that my lawyer didn't care enough but I am not really trying to blame anyone at this point. Thank you for the suggestion too.
I would like to know if I have any options.If so, try to understand them before talking to any lawyers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the fact that my lawyer didn't care enough but I am not really trying to blame anyone at this point. Thank you for the suggestion too.
I would like to know if I have any options.If so, try to understand them before talking to any lawyers.
Your options are very limited since you are out of status. Your employer can't help you. Even if your employer provides you with a job offer and approved LMIA, you cannot apply for a work permit or PR through an economic immigration stream.

I would recommend that you find a new lawyer and explore if PRRA is possible.

He20155182

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
Your options are very limited since you are out of status. Your employer can't help you. Even if your employer provides you with a job offer and approved LMIA, you cannot apply for a work permit or PR through an economic immigration stream.

I would recommend that you find a new lawyer and explore if PRRA is possible.
Thank you Scylla. My understanding and I could be wrong. A CBSA officer will notify me if I’m eligible for a PRRA. I know that a removal order is automatically in place when my application got rejected. However, I’ve never received any letters or anything from IRCC after the fact. Also, my lawyer at the time was surprised that CBSA didn’t take my passport (travel document) from me when applying for a refugee status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Scylla. My understanding and I could be wrong. A CBSA officer will notify me if I’m eligible for a PRRA. I know that a removal order is automatically in place when my application got rejected. However, I’ve never received any letters or anything from IRCC after the fact. Also, my lawyer at the time was surprised that CBSA didn’t take my passport (travel document) from me when applying for a refugee status.
What kind of travel document do you have? That could be the reason. Do you have a valid work permit at this time and how long do you have left on the work permit.

He20155182

Star Member
Aug 28, 2016
What kind of travel document do you have? That could be the reason. Do you have a valid work permit at this time and how long do you have left on the work permit.
I have a travel document for Palestinian refugees. I do have a valid that will expire in a month

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to find a very good lawyer. There are some people who have ended up in limbo. Unwilling to return home but Canada is willing to grant PR.