+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejected Ontario Marriage Certificate

argybargy

May 2, 2016
Hi all. I got my application sent back for two reasons:
  • We didn't include the FBI Check for "all dependents over 18" - as he wasn't 18 at the time we applied
  • They saw the words "Marriage License" on the official copy of the marriage certificate.

Those of us married in Ontario, know that the license (upper part of the form) gets submitted to regitster the marriage, and Ontario provides you with a full copy of the form (with the bottom half filled out) as a "marriage certificate" It was a certified copy of course, complete with certificate number, etc. at the top.

They had already received our application, we had AOR1, but just got a "CANCELLED" status on our application online, without letter or explanation until I received the physical package today.

Has anyone else had this happen, or did I just get really "lucky"?

KayleighMay7

Feb 6, 2020
Hi,
I got married in Toronto a few months back and when applying for my marriage certificate there are two options:
1. A certified copy of the long form (marriage License)
2. Marriage Certificate

I believe you may have submitted the wrong document? The document required if the actual certificate, not a certified copy of the license.

Hope that's helpful?
:)

argybargy

May 2, 2016
Hi,
I got married in Toronto a few months back and when applying for my marriage certificate there are two options:
1. A certified copy of the long form (marriage License)
2. Marriage Certificate

I believe you may have submitted the wrong document? The document required if the actual certificate, not a certified copy of the license.

Hope that's helpful?
:)
This actually isn't my first time doing this, and I submitted the exact same thing as last time.... it was what was sent to me when I requested proof of marriage! Indeed it was the long form.

*sigh* if there's a separate thing, I'll go get that if it will make them happy. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look it up.

Cheers

KayleighMay7

Feb 6, 2020
This actually isn't my first time doing this, and I submitted the exact same thing as last time.... it was what was sent to me when I requested proof of marriage! Indeed it was the long form.

*sigh* if there's a separate thing, I'll go get that if it will make them happy. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look it up.

Cheers
You can apply for it online from Service Ontario - only took a few days to show up :)
Good Luck

Reactions: argybargy

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
  • We didn't include the FBI Check for "all dependents over 18" - as he wasn't 18 at the time we applied
  • They saw the words "Marriage License" on the official copy of the marriage certificate.

Those of us married in Ontario, know that the license (upper part of the form) gets submitted to regitster the marriage, and Ontario provides you with a full copy of the form (with the bottom half filled out) as a "marriage certificate" It was a certified copy of course, complete with certificate number, etc. at the top.

They had already received our application, we had AOR1, but just got a "CANCELLED" status on our application online, without letter or explanation until I received the physical package today.

i know that you're not supposed to send the initial one you get on the day you marry but send it to the Sudbury (or maybe Thunder bay) and they mail you the official, that is the one i sent to them. i thin on the day you get your license which is a less thana a4 size ceritifcate, i heard thats not what you're gonna submit, the original is like a legal size document.

i remember they said it takes 8-10 weeks to get it so we wrote a letter to expedite with reasons given, i got it less than 10 days later from the office.

Reactions: argybargy

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
You can apply for it online from Service Ontario - only took a few days to show up :)
Good Luck
This. You can apply online and purchase one. (You have options to chose the regular marriage certificate or the long form, which is the marriage license) I purchased one long form of the license and two marriage certificates all sent to my house. We sent one of the marriage certificates with our application and kept the other one as well as the long form for ourselves)

It’s quick and easy to do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

What you have from the day of the marriage is the marriage license and it isn't accepted for immigration purposes. You need the actual marriage certificate / full form (which is the one you have to request afterwards and wait for). Applications are returned as incomplete if they are missing the marriage certificate. This is standard process.

Many of us have obtained our Ontario marriage certificates very quickly after getting married and submitting the request. I believe I had mine in about a week and a half.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
What you have from the day of the marriage is the marriage license and it isn't accepted for immigration purposes. You need the actual marriage certificate / full form (which is the one you have to request afterwards and wait for). Applications are returned as incomplete if they are missing the marriage certificate. This is standard process.

Many of us have obtained our Ontario marriage certificates very quickly after getting married and submitting the request. I believe I had mine in about a week and a half.
Really? They’re saying it can take eight weeks to receive it from Thunder Bay. It took us pretty much exactly eight weeks after our marriage to receive ours after applying online. (That is for a new marriages)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Really? They’re saying it can take eight weeks to receive it from Thunder Bay. It took us pretty much exactly eight weeks after our marriage to receive ours after applying online. (That is for a new marriages)
Sometimes it still takes the full 8 weeks. However tons of us here have received them much much sooner. If you mark the request as urgent and say you need the certificate for immigration purposes, they typically process much much faster. I did not make an urgent request and still got it in a week and a half. (And yes, this is for new marriages.)

In the end, it takes as long as it takes and an application cannot be submited without this document.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Sometimes it still takes the full 8 weeks. However tons of us here have received them much much sooner. If you mark the request as urgent and say you need the certificate for immigration purposes, they typically process much much faster. I did not make an urgent request and still got it in a week and a half. (And yes, this is for new marriages.)

In the end, it takes as long as it takes and an application cannot be submited without this document.
True. Good to know though. In our case it wasn’t urgent either so it wasn’t a big deal, but nice that’s possible if needed sooner.

dodge2dodge

Mar 8, 2021
I have been asked by ircc to submit my marriage certificate. I got married in Ontario recently and am about to complete my 9th week. I submitted an application for my marriage certificate and the status says the marriage is not registered yet.

Now IRCC is asking me to submit my marriage certificate in 8 days, What should I do?

I called ircc and was advised to submit a letter of explanation.

Any insight from anyone?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have been asked by ircc to submit my marriage certificate. I got married in Ontario recently and am about to complete my 9th week. I submitted an application for my marriage certificate and the status says the marriage is not registered yet.

Now IRCC is asking me to submit my marriage certificate in 8 days, What should I do?

I called ircc and was advised to submit a letter of explanation.

Any insight from anyone?
Submit the letter of explanation as they suggested. Say it seems to be a COVID delay.