+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejected Family Sponsorship

patzj

Feb 20, 2020
Hello.

So my application for permanent residency (my wife as the sponsor) got refused. The reason was she declared herself as single with no dependent when she was sponsored by her mother. We cohabited for two years when we were boyfriend-girlfriend and that makes us common law partners during that time. That disqualified me from falling into the the family class application even we are married now. Was she supposed to have me declared as her dependent before? Or was she supposed to have me declared as common-law partner? I don't understand it that much so please enlighten me.

I also wanted to seek for some advice on what steps to take to handle the matter. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello.

So my application for permanent residency (my wife as the sponsor) got refused. The reason was she declared herself as single with no dependent when she was sponsored by her mother. We cohabited for two years when we were boyfriend-girlfriend and that makes us common law partners during that time. That disqualified me from falling into the the family class application even we are married now. Was she supposed to have me declared as her dependent before? Or was she supposed to have me declared as common-law partner? I don't understand it that much so please enlighten me.

I also wanted to seek for some advice on what steps to take to handle the matter. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you.
She was supposed to declare you as her common law partner since you had lived together for at least one full year. Note that this would have disqualified your wife from being sponsored by her mother since she would no longer have been classified as a dependent.

How did her mother get PR? Did she apply through an economic immigration program (like skilled worker or live in caregiver) and then include your wife in the application?

Most likely you will now have to obtain PR on your own (without any support from your wife) through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.