+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reintroduction of Parental Sponsorship - Nov. 2013

clairebear

Nov 13, 2012
I know it would just be speculation...but what's everyone's opinion about how the parental sponsorship will be introduced? Will it be greatly reformed? I know we don't have crystal balls to see the future, but someone might have an educated guess as to what will happen?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
clairebear said:
I know it would just be speculation...but what's everyone's opinion about how the parental sponsorship will be introduced? Will it be greatly reformed? I know we don't have crystal balls to see the future, but someone might have an educated guess as to what will happen?
CIC's goal is to reduce the intake of applications. The things could happen are below:
1. Giving Canadian Citizens opportunity to sponsor their parents. i.e. sponsor and co-signer both should be citizens and PR's cannot sponsor their parents
2. Banning people from sponsoring for parental sponsorship for at least 1st five years of becoming PR (I doubt this because any how these days it is taking almost 5 years for a person to become canadian citizen after becoming a PR
3. Asking for $40,000 per parent to give to Canadian Government for parental sponsorship application (Australia asks for money)
4. Banning parents with dependent children to be eligible for sponsorship.
5. Increasing the LICO requirement significantly.
6. Making sponsor support his/her parents for life - i.e parents will not be eligible for pension after living 10 years in Canada.

clairebear

Nov 13, 2012
Thanks so much for the insight! I'm glad you mentioned about possibly only citizens sponsoring...my hubby is a PR now and we weren't in a big rush to get his citizenship but maybe we should think about getting that in order!
Anyone else have anything to add?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rajmalhotra7 has provided a good list.

There could be a variation on #4. Parents can be sponsored but dependents regardless of age can't be included in the application (this is how parent sponsorships are handled in the US right now).

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
rajmalhotra7 has provided a good list.

There could be a variation on #4. Parents can be sponsored but dependents regardless of age can't be included in the application (this is how parent sponsorships are handled in the US right now).
To add to the list only parents 65 and over are eligible or a single parent is eligible (if under 65). Please note that we are speculating on possible reasons, however we do not know for sure what would happen. I doubt Canada will invent some new law on its own, but Canada will take reference from laws about parents immigration in different countries like UK, USA, and Australia.

naser20004

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 1, 2009
File Transfer...
October 31, 2012
Med's Request
March 26, 2015 (by email)
Med's Done....
March 31, 2015
Passport Req..
June 29, 2015 (by email)
The speculation is that it is going to be mainly financial reforms, i.e either increasing the processing frees to ~ $40K or increasing the LICO significantly or (most likely) a combination of both. Restriction to citizens only or adding a wait period of 5 years are unlikely.