+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rehab and PR Qs

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Good day all,

I am looking for some guidance on the best way to handle my Rehab and PR submission.

I am a US citizen living with my Canadian spouse and working full time in Canada under a TRP and OWP. Both permits are set to expire late next month. I have already applied for a TRP/OWP extension last month. From my past experience, I expect to hear back on it some time in May 2020.

While waiting, I am eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation in February 2020. My plan is to visit a port of entry and submit my application there. Pending approval, I would then submit my PR application under spousal sponsorship. Here are my questions:

1. I will be under implied status when I apply for criminal rehab and cannot continue working if I leave Canada. Am I able to enter the immigration office at the border crossing without leaving Canadian soil?

2. As an alternative, airports are also a port of entry. Is it possible to enter the immigration office at an airport (eg. Pearson) while I'm already in Canada?

3. Providing my criminal rehab is approved, given my scenario would it best to submit my PR application inland or outland?

Any insight is appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day all,

I am looking for some guidance on the best way to handle my Rehab and PR submission.

I am a US citizen living with my Canadian spouse and working full time in Canada under a TRP and OWP. Both permits are set to expire late next month. I have already applied for a TRP/OWP extension last month. From my past experience, I expect to hear back on it some time in May 2020.

While waiting, I am eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation in February 2020. My plan is to visit a port of entry and submit my application there. Pending approval, I would then submit my PR application under spousal sponsorship. Here are my questions:

1. I will be under implied status when I apply for criminal rehab and cannot continue working if I leave Canada. Am I able to enter the immigration office at the border crossing without leaving Canadian soil?

2. As an alternative, airports are also a port of entry. Is it possible to enter the immigration office at an airport (eg. Pearson) while I'm already in Canada?

3. Providing my criminal rehab is approved, given my scenario would it best to submit my PR application inland or outland?

1) No - you have to exit Canada to flagpole.
2) Not possible unfortunately. You would need to be arriving in Canada on an international flight to enter the immigration area.
3) That's really your choice. If you want to make sure you can continue working, inland would probably be best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day all,

How do you have an OWP?

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
2) Not possible unfortunately. You would need to be arriving in Canada on an international flight to enter the immigration area.
3) That's really your choice. If you want to make sure you can continue working, inland would probably be best.
Thank you for your input scylla. It sounds like I may have to wait until May to receive my TRP/OWP extension before I can submit my rehab application at the border.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
How do you have an OWP?
I was granted a TRP back in March 2018 for 6 months. When I applied for a TRP extension in August 2018, I also applied for an OWP at the same time. The TRP extension application gives the option to apply for an OWP as well.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
I have another idea. What if I use form 5476 and have my spouse be my representative and flagpole on my behalf. That way it would ensure I stay in Canada and be able to submit my rehab application. Would that be possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have another idea. What if I use form 5476 and have my spouse be my representative and flagpole on my behalf. That way it would ensure I stay in Canada and be able to submit my rehab application. Would that be possible?
I have no idea. I have only seen examples of people applying for rehab in person at the border.