+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registering for a GST number with a Working Visa

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Hey there,

My hubby is in Canada in a work visa. His SIN starts with 9

He wants to start driving uber. All of his paperwork as been accepted by Uber but they also require him to register for a GST number with CRA.

When i asked CRA they said he needed to register as a non-resident and gave us some forms. But i'm quite confused about this process

Has anyone here registered for a GST number with the CRA while having a number 9 SIN?

If you could share your experiences it'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey there,

My hubby is in Canada in a work visa. His SIN starts with 9

He wants to start driving uber. All of his paperwork as been accepted by Uber but they also require him to register for a GST number with CRA.

When i asked CRA they said he needed to register as a non-resident and gave us some forms. But i'm quite confused about this process

Has anyone here registered for a GST number with the CRA while having a number 9 SIN?

If you could share your experiences it'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks
One assumes that he has an Open Work Permit, or you would not even be asking the question....

ndrs11

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
That's really interesting. To get a GST means you are self-employed operating as a contractor for Uber. It also says somewhere you cannot start a business legally in Canada unless you are a PR or a citizen. The non-resident category for GST registration states your primary business is outside Canada. Hopefully someone who has done this before can answer your question.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/register-a-gst-hst-account.html#details-panel4a

As far as I understand, you cannot incorporate a business in Canada unless 25% of the stakeholders are Canadian citizens or PRs. But working as a self employed person, you act as a sole proprietorship and the corporation rule does not apply.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
He calls up the Business Enquires line for the CRA. Tell the agent that he wants to register for a GST/HST, that he is a sole proprietor , he MUST provide his SIN. If his SIN starts with a 9 the agent will ask where he is from , and then give him the contact number , address for the tax services office assigned to his country, or if from the USA, the American state . Registration for the GST/HST is mandatory for anyone engaged in providing ridesharing . The effective date of registration, is their first ride , the small supplier threshold does NOT apply . The form is the RC1. They must stay registered for a minimum of one year, or cessation of being engaged in ridesharing. The agent cannot register non resident accounts over the phone
Read thru the RC4022 for information regarding responsibilities involved when registering
Once the account is registered, he will receive a confirmation letter with the number . However he can call in too the Business Enquires line , once he passes the security questions, the agent can provide him the registration number . Note ; the agent can ONLY give the number too him , if anyone calls in, and are not authorized, the number will not be released

Last edited:

Rounakm12

Star Member
Mar 24, 2018
Hi,

I am here in Canada on open work permit. Can anyone please help by answering are we allowed to open a company( incorporation for hourly basis job) in Canada on a work permit?