+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registered Nurse with Bachelors degree in US planning to move and work in Canada

vanfabie89

May 30, 2019
Hello everyone!

I’m a permanent resident here in the US and I also work here as a Registered Nurse with Bachelors degree. I finished my undergrad in the US and I am planning to move to canada as my fiańce is from canada. I’m just wondering what are the requirements? And do I have to re-evaluate my credits and take the IELTS exam? And how about the NCLEX do I have to take it again? I would greatly appreciate any advices.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Yes, you have to have, at a minimum, your credentials evaluated and you will have to take the IELTS. Nurses are in high demand, so check your fiance's PNP for NOC List code 3012. Nurses are eligible for full Permanent Residency under the Federal Skilled Worker Immigration Program on both a Federal and Provincial Nomination basis.

Reactions: vanfabie89

vanfabie89

May 30, 2019
Yes, you have to have, at a minimum, your credentials evaluated and you will have to take the IELTS. Nurses are in high demand, so check your fiance's PNP for NOC List code 3012. Nurses are eligible for full Permanent Residency under the Federal Skilled Worker Immigration Program on both a Federal and Provincial Nomination basis.

Thank you for the prompt response! I understand. I’m willing to take the IELTS and get my credentials evaluated as long as I am reassured that I will be working as an RN over there not as an LPN. As I heard from other people that some provinces have different requirements.

Reactions: Mort Sinclair

vanfabie89

May 30, 2019
So, I suppose anything is possible. Where is your BSN from? You might need to take the international nursing exam, too. My sister-in-law is a Canadian nurse who now works in the U.S., and she had to take it. What province are you looking to work in?
Thats great to hear! Yes. I understand also that I have to take another NCLEX for a particular province, which is thats the board exam for nurses from US and Canada. I took my BSN here in the US. I was thinking to work in British Columbia.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
If your BSN is from a decent and reputable college or university, you should not have any trouble. The process of getting your credentials assessed takes a loooong time, so be prepared.

vanfabie89

May 30, 2019
If your BSN is from a decent and reputable college or university, you should not have any trouble. The process of getting your credentials assessed takes a loooong time, so be prepared.
You think how long will it take? 12 months? And yes, I came from a good university. Hoping it won’t take a year for the evaluation.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
About six months for ICAS to assess credentials, and you need that for a complete application. Recommend you submit your stuff to ICAS now; otherwise, you'll be looking at a very long time before you have all your documents, language tests, etc., lined up before you even submit a completed application.

Raidah

Jun 6, 2019
Hello am also a RN trying to move to Canada can we connect and talk more about it. I live and work from Massachusetts. My number is 7812687279 pls lets connect and exchange ideas. Thanks

BelsKay

Jun 28, 2019
Hi, you do not need to retake the NCLEX again . You’d need NNAS to access your credit isle .. this takes some time . I’m also a nurse in the us and it took about 7 months for me

BelsKay

Jun 28, 2019
Hello am also a RN trying to move to Canada can we connect and talk more about it. I live and work from Massachusetts. My number is 7812687279 pls lets connect and exchange ideas. Thanks
I did the same and it took roughly about a year to get my license . Very tedious and long process .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanka a lot for your advice. To file for all the process, does it require me to hire a lawyer?
You also have to see if you qualify to immigrate first and apply for PR. That would be 5e first step. You can do it alone if you are comfortable with your paperwork. I would investigate your job opportunities and pay levels before you move to Canada. The other person was moving due to marriage not career.