+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding working offshores in a Canadian company

choson86

Sep 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Leon

One of the ways you can meet the residency requirements offshores is when "they are outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province." How can I prove that I was hired by a Canadian company?

The reason I'm asking is because, recently, the company where I work for in Korea took over a Canadian company. I was wondering if there was a lead way to go around this matter before I permanently return to Canada in early 2014.

Do you think there's a way to make me working in a Korean company (which took over a Canadian company) legit for the residency obligation?

The reason I'm asking is because, as you may know, I'm trying to take my soon-to-be wife to Canada when returning, but I would have to live in Canada for 2 years before I can sponsor her.

Oh, and another question...

If I tell the customs that I was working for a Canadian company while I was away, would I have to show him any proof?? How would this work?

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are fairly strict on what they consider a Canadian company. The company must be located and registered in Canada etc. Working for a company that owns a Canadian company will not cut it. This exception to the requirements is actually meant to allow people to keep their PR who were hired by an employer in Canada and then asked to move to another country because of their job.

If you still meet the residency requirements, you should get married now, return to Canada right away and apply to sponsor your wife.

If you do not meet the requirements any more, you might be able to get into Canada without attracting attention and if you do, you could stay for 2 years to revive your PR but you could not sponsor your wife until these 2 years have passed.