+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding travel to canada

gillboy12

Jul 14, 2019
Hello All,
Actually, my passport expires in 3 months and i got passport to submit a request for visitor visa from cic so can anyone tell me is it ok to stamp the visa and travel in between 3 months. Thanks in Advance

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Three months is awfully short.

Here's what the rule is:

Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

So if your passport is expiring in November, you need to have told them that you will travel to Canada and return before it expires. If you had told them in your application that you're staying for three months or something like that, it may cause issues.

Also, you're only going to get a visa that's valid for three months. If you had gotten a new passport before you applied, you would have got a 10-year visa.

But yes, technically you can submit your passport and get a visa. There's no six-month rule like the US has.

Reactions: gillboy12

gillboy12

Jul 14, 2019
Three months is awfully short.

Here's what the rule is:

Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

So if your passport is expiring in November, you need to have told them that you will travel to Canada and return before it expires. If you had told them in your application that you're staying for three months or something like that, it may cause issues.

Also, you're only going to get a visa that's valid for three months. If you had gotten a new passport before you applied, you would have got a 10-year visa.

But yes, technically you can submit your passport and get a visa. There's no six-month rule like the US has.
Thanks for help !