+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding meeting residency obligation of 730 days

njlevoyageur

Aug 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I did soft-landing in Canada in Sept '17, stayed for a week and went back to India. I couldn't come back due to personal reasons and finally moved to Canada in October'20. At the point of entry this time, I was questioned regarding my residency obligation by a CBSA officer. I was allowed to enter but she suggested that I may have to appeal on Humanitarian and compassionate grounds later.

I am planning to stay in Canada for the next 2 years.
Considering 5 years from landing date, I'd be about 40 days short on meeting the residency obligation of 730 days. However, If I consider the PR card expiry date(which is Oct'22) I should be able to fulfil the obligation.

Should I contact IRCC now and request for extension(mentioning the extenuating circumstances) or wait for 2 years(i.e. until my PR card expires) and then apply for PR renewal.

Please suggest

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Considering 5 years from landing date, I'd be about 40 days short on meeting the residency obligation of 730 days. However, If I consider the PR card expiry date(which is Oct'22) I should be able to fulfil the obligation.

Should I contact IRCC now and request for extension(mentioning the extenuating circumstances) or wait for 2 years(i.e. until my PR card expires) and then apply for PR renewal.
You are best to wait until you are in compliance with the 730 days, ideally with a buffer of some additional (30?) days, and then apply.

It's okay, you are still residing legally in Canada if your card is expired. The compliance with RO only comes up when examined/when you interact with IRCC or ... at border, when you apply for a renewal, apply to sponsor a spouse, etc.

(And despite the warning from the border guard, she clearly did not start a formal process and you are fine. You aree just better advised to avoid applying until you are in compliance with the RO)

Reactions: njlevoyageur

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
I did soft-landing in Canada in Sept '17, stayed for a week and went back to India. I couldn't come back due to personal reasons and finally moved to Canada in October'20. At the point of entry this time, I was questioned regarding my residency obligation by a CBSA officer. I was allowed to enter but she suggested that I may have to appeal on Humanitarian and compassionate grounds later.

Please suggest
It's based on landing date (not PR card date) so you are not in compliance with RO. As others have said, definitely wait the two years. Apply to renew your PR card in October 2022 once you have 730 days in Canada in the last 5 years.

Applying now based on H&C will be risky unless you have an extremely strong argument.

njlevoyageur

Aug 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are best to wait until you are in compliance with the 730 days, ideally with a buffer of some additional (30?) days, and then apply.

It's okay, you are still residing legally in Canada if your card is expired. The compliance with RO only comes up when examined/when you interact with IRCC or ... at border, when you apply for a renewal, apply to sponsor a spouse, etc.

(And despite the warning from the border guard, she clearly did not start a formal process and you are fine. You aree just better advised to avoid applying until you are in compliance with the RO)
Thanks for your response.
I actually received a call today from IRCC from this number 1-888-242-2100, I thought this to be some spam call and hanged up the phone. I googled later to find that this is actually IRCCs contact number. I am not sure if the CBSA officer started a formal process.
May be I should call IRCC and check?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response.
I actually received a call today from IRCC from this number 1-888-242-2100, I thought this to be some spam call and hanged up the phone. I googled later to find that this is actually IRCCs contact number. I am not sure if the CBSA officer started a formal process.
Hold on... Did the CBSA officer report you for failing to meet the residency requirement when you entered Canada? Were you given any sort of paperwork related to this?

njlevoyageur

Aug 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hold on... Did the CBSA officer report you for failing to meet the residency requirement when you entered Canada? Were you given any sort of paperwork related to this?
No, I didn't receive any paperwork regarding this. The officer just mentioned verbally about applying under H&C grounds.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, I didn't receive any paperwork regarding this. The officer just mentioned verbally about applying under H&C grounds.
Then it doesn't sound like you were reported. You should do nothing. Wait until you've been in Canada for 2 years since the time you entered in October and then apply to renew your PR card. Don't apply for anything before that.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
CAUTION: We Are NOT Experts.

No one here (which definitely includes me) should be relied upon to be an expert.

It is quite possible, perhaps likely, your situation is outside the common procedures most of us are familiar with.

I doubt any of us here can reliably assess what your situation is. Will address this more below.

Moreover, it is difficult to know for sure if the telephone call was legitimate. Scammers have developed ways to mask the call and display other numbers. That said, given your relatively recent PoE experience the odds are the call was legitimate. In any event, the 1-888-242-2100 number is the correct number to call (Monday to Friday 8 to 4; start early in the day as the lines tend to get very busy) to make an inquiry about your status.

My sense leans heavily toward doing that, making the telephone call and inquire about your status. Or use the web form available at the IRCC website. My sense is to at least be sure IRCC has current contact information for you.

My sense is that trying to dodge contact from IRCC would NOT be helpful. Probably counterproductive. But as noted, and it demands repeating with emphasis: I am NO expert. If you can afford and find a qualified immigration lawyer (free consultations tend to be worth no more than what you pay for), that might be the better approach.

In any event, I disagree with the "do nothing," head-in-the-sand approach. I am not much confident about this. I admit I am rather uncertain about how to best approach this. But I highly doubt anyone else here knows any better. To my view, contacting IRCC, and being sure IRCC has correct contact information for you, will NOT constitute a transaction triggering a RO compliance examination (in contrast, say, to making an application for a new PR card or leaving Canada and arriving at a PoE again). If there is to be a formal process against you based on a breach of the RO, my impression is that has already been triggered, and if so better to deal with it rather than avoid IRCC.

BUT it demands repeating and emphasizing that I do not know . . . but also repeating and emphasizing I am highly skeptical of anyone else here knowing.

Some Context:

Given the relatively small breach of the Residency Obligation (it appears you are 40 days short), and it very easily being said that Covid-19 is at least partially responsible for your delay in coming to Canada to settle, my NON-expert sense is that even if IRCC formally follows through with an official RO compliance examination (or . . . will get to the alternatives below), the odds should be very good you will still be OK.

BUT . . . I would have guessed much the same about the PoE examination. That is, that despite being 40 days late in getting back to Canada, relative to RO compliance, I would have guessed a waive through the PoE or perhaps some questions in Secondary followed by an admonition. And if not, then the examining officer would have issued a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility, based on a breach of the RO, and referred you to another officer (who technically is acting as the "Minister's Delegate") who would decide whether to issue a Departure Order or dismiss the 44(1) Report based on H&C reasons. And you would have gotten a copy of the paperwork.

Leading to what happened at the PoE upon arrival . . .

What Happened at the PoE Upon Arrival:

It is possible, perhaps likely, the PoE CBSA officer initiated a referral to IRCC to investigate your compliance with the Residency Obligation.

This is NOT common. And there are other possibilities. Including the possibility of an irregular procedure.

Moreover, as I have already noted, given Covid-19 and the fact you arrived in Canada with approximately two years left before your PR card expires (which as others said is not relevant in calculating RO compliance; but it can influence how PoE officers approach a returning PR), and just 40 days short of being in compliance with the Residency Obligation (relying on your calculation), my guess would have been to expect a pass without being "reported."

I just used "reported" in the lower case and put it in quotations to highlight the difference between being issued the 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility, due to a failure to comply with the RO, in contrast to an officer initiating a referral to IRCC, which many might describe to be a "report," or refer to this as being "reported."

As I noted, this procedure is not common. And while it has popped up in some official decisions where we can see accounts of actual cases, examples are infrequent and difficult to find in the databases of IAD decisions. In the meantime, forum anecdotal reporting about this procedure is rare, sporadic, and the accounts are typically sketchy and not particularly reliable, noting that among the scarcity of such reporting, many of those affected are not well-acquainted with the formal procedures and not good reporters about what occurred.

BUT it warrants emphasizing there are other possibilities. Including potential irregular procedures, such as one officer issuing a 44(1) Report without giving you a copy, perhaps because there was no other officer available to act as the Minister's Delegate, so the "Report" itself was in a sense incomplete. Requiring a follow-up. This leads to all sorts of contingencies, noting that if this is was what happened, the follow-up should be from CBSA not IRCC.

Among other possibilities. Regarding which there is nothing to be gained speculating about. There is only one possibility that matters, and that is what procedure actually took place in your case. And to find out, you will need to contact IRCC. Well, I should say, to find out sooner than waiting to find out, some time later, if IRCC has proceeded in a direction that is inimical to your interests . . . which, for example, could make getting some leeway, some H&C leniency, more difficult.

Note, for example, if a 44(1) Report has been issued, and is outstanding (still subject to review by a Minister's Delegate or perhaps by IRCC), every day that goes by you are more and more in breach of the RO. Since the days you are in Canada after a 44(1) Report has been issued do NOT count toward compliance . . . and indeed, this could mean a decision-maker also does NOT give you credit for days left on the calendar up to the fifth year anniversary of your landing.

LOTS of UNKNOWNS. More than a few contingencies.

OVERALL . . . KEY TAKE-AWAY: Most of what I say above is to explain how it is you are in a situation that is beyond the scope of what this forum can reliably address.

If you find out more about your situation, and particularly if you are subject to further proceedings potentially leading to the loss of your PR status, the forum may be able to help . . . once more details are known.

In the meantime, I have not delved into "why" things went differently than we usually see. There's plenty we could talk about in this regard, but that will not illuminate what you should do, which is what is important now.

I have not put any emphasis on the PoE officer's use of the word "appeal," even though that could be a rather significant clue about what the officer intended to do regardless what actual procedure took place. The key is that the status of your case is NOT clear. There is little to be gained by speculating about this, other than enough to recognize the RISK a process has already been triggered which could result in the loss of PR status.

Regarding the latter, one final observation: PR Residency Obligation H&C cases are very different than H&C cases in other contexts. While it is not explicitly stated as such, what the decision-maker perceives the PR *deserves* can have a lot of influence. Avoiding contact from IRCC is NOT likely to help the *deserves* aspect of your H&C case, if you are put into a situation where you need to more formally make the H&C case in order to keep your PR status.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Can the CBSA officer report OP without asking him to sign any paperwork? Or that's not possible if nothing is signed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can the CBSA officer report OP without asking him to sign any paperwork? Or that's not possible if nothing is signed?
To the best of my knowledge there's always paperwork but I'm not 100% sure.

njlevoyageur

Aug 2, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CAUTION: We Are NOT Experts.

No one here (which definitely includes me) should be relied upon to be an expert.

It is quite possible, perhaps likely, your situation is outside the common procedures most of us are familiar with.

I doubt any of us here can reliably assess what your situation is. Will address this more below.

Moreover, it is difficult to know for sure if the telephone call was legitimate. Scammers have developed ways to mask the call and display other numbers. That said, given your relatively recent PoE experience the odds are the call was legitimate. In any event, the 1-888-242-2100 number is the correct number to call (Monday to Friday 8 to 4; start early in the day as the lines tend to get very busy) to make an inquiry about your status.

My sense leans heavily toward doing that, making the telephone call and inquire about your status. Or use the web form available at the IRCC website. My sense is to at least be sure IRCC has current contact information for you.

My sense is that trying to dodge contact from IRCC would NOT be helpful. Probably counterproductive. But as noted, and it demands repeating with emphasis: I am NO expert. If you can afford and find a qualified immigration lawyer (free consultations tend to be worth no more than what you pay for), that might be the better approach.

In any event, I disagree with the "do nothing," head-in-the-sand approach. I am not much confident about this. I admit I am rather uncertain about how to best approach this. But I highly doubt anyone else here knows any better. To my view, contacting IRCC, and being sure IRCC has correct contact information for you, will NOT constitute a transaction triggering a RO compliance examination (in contrast, say, to making an application for a new PR card or leaving Canada and arriving at a PoE again). If there is to be a formal process against you based on a breach of the RO, my impression is that has already been triggered, and if so better to deal with it rather than avoid IRCC.

BUT it demands repeating and emphasizing that I do not know . . . but also repeating and emphasizing I am highly skeptical of anyone else here knowing.

Some Context:

Given the relatively small breach of the Residency Obligation (it appears you are 40 days short), and it very easily being said that Covid-19 is at least partially responsible for your delay in coming to Canada to settle, my NON-expert sense is that even if IRCC formally follows through with an official RO compliance examination (or . . . will get to the alternatives below), the odds should be very good you will still be OK.

BUT . . . I would have guessed much the same about the PoE examination. That is, that despite being 40 days late in getting back to Canada, relative to RO compliance, I would have guessed a waive through the PoE or perhaps some questions in Secondary followed by an admonition. And if not, then the examining officer would have issued a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility, based on a breach of the RO, and referred you to another officer (who technically is acting as the "Minister's Delegate") who would decide whether to issue a Departure Order or dismiss the 44(1) Report based on H&C reasons. And you would have gotten a copy of the paperwork.

Leading to what happened at the PoE upon arrival . . .

What Happened at the PoE Upon Arrival:

It is possible, perhaps likely, the PoE CBSA officer initiated a referral to IRCC to investigate your compliance with the Residency Obligation.

This is NOT common. And there are other possibilities. Including the possibility of an irregular procedure.

Moreover, as I have already noted, given Covid-19 and the fact you arrived in Canada with approximately two years left before your PR card expires (which as others said is not relevant in calculating RO compliance; but it can influence how PoE officers approach a returning PR), and just 40 days short of being in compliance with the Residency Obligation (relying on your calculation), my guess would have been to expect a pass without being "reported."

I just used "reported" in the lower case and put it in quotations to highlight the difference between being issued the 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility, due to a failure to comply with the RO, in contrast to an officer initiating a referral to IRCC, which many might describe to be a "report," or refer to this as being "reported."

As I noted, this procedure is not common. And while it has popped up in some official decisions where we can see accounts of actual cases, examples are infrequent and difficult to find in the databases of IAD decisions. In the meantime, forum anecdotal reporting about this procedure is rare, sporadic, and the accounts are typically sketchy and not particularly reliable, noting that among the scarcity of such reporting, many of those affected are not well-acquainted with the formal procedures and not good reporters about what occurred.

BUT it warrants emphasizing there are other possibilities. Including potential irregular procedures, such as one officer issuing a 44(1) Report without giving you a copy, perhaps because there was no other officer available to act as the Minister's Delegate, so the "Report" itself was in a sense incomplete. Requiring a follow-up. This leads to all sorts of contingencies, noting that if this is was what happened, the follow-up should be from CBSA not IRCC.

Among other possibilities. Regarding which there is nothing to be gained speculating about. There is only one possibility that matters, and that is what procedure actually took place in your case. And to find out, you will need to contact IRCC. Well, I should say, to find out sooner than waiting to find out, some time later, if IRCC has proceeded in a direction that is inimical to your interests . . . which, for example, could make getting some leeway, some H&C leniency, more difficult.

Note, for example, if a 44(1) Report has been issued, and is outstanding (still subject to review by a Minister's Delegate or perhaps by IRCC), every day that goes by you are more and more in breach of the RO. Since the days you are in Canada after a 44(1) Report has been issued do NOT count toward compliance . . . and indeed, this could mean a decision-maker also does NOT give you credit for days left on the calendar up to the fifth year anniversary of your landing.

LOTS of UNKNOWNS. More than a few contingencies.

OVERALL . . . KEY TAKE-AWAY: Most of what I say above is to explain how it is you are in a situation that is beyond the scope of what this forum can reliably address.

If you find out more about your situation, and particularly if you are subject to further proceedings potentially leading to the loss of your PR status, the forum may be able to help . . . once more details are known.

In the meantime, I have not delved into "why" things went differently than we usually see. There's plenty we could talk about in this regard, but that will not illuminate what you should do, which is what is important now.

I have not put any emphasis on the PoE officer's use of the word "appeal," even though that could be a rather significant clue about what the officer intended to do regardless what actual procedure took place. The key is that the status of your case is NOT clear. There is little to be gained by speculating about this, other than enough to recognize the RISK a process has already been triggered which could result in the loss of PR status.

Regarding the latter, one final observation: PR Residency Obligation H&C cases are very different than H&C cases in other contexts. While it is not explicitly stated as such, what the decision-maker perceives the PR *deserves* can have a lot of influence. Avoiding contact from IRCC is NOT likely to help the *deserves* aspect of your H&C case, if you are put into a situation where you need to more formally make the H&C case in order to keep your PR status.
Thanks for a detailed response. I am going to call IRCC tomorrow and ask if there's anything I need to do to keep my PR status active and if there was anything reported by CBSA at the time of landing.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am going to call IRCC tomorrow and ask if there's anything I need to do to keep my PR status active and if there was anything reported by CBSA at the time of landing.
Sorry, but first I feel obligated to emphatically repeat the caveat: I AM NO EXPERT. NO ONE HERE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AN EXPERT. Since there is a lot about your situation which is outside what we know or can reliably infer, and no one here should be considered to be an expert, at the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse (sorry about evoking that image), given what might be at stake, I feel compelled to be absolutely clear about this here. So, again, I AM NO EXPERT. NO ONE HERE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AN EXPERT. And all that is said here, including what I say (including in any further posts I make in this topic), should be considered in that context. I am emphasizing this more here because the situation appears to be very much at the intersection of what is not known and a RISK of losing PR status.

"I am going to call IRCC tomorrow and ask if there's anything I need to do to keep my PR status active and if there was anything reported by CBSA at the time of landing."​

Be aware that it can be difficult to actually get through. Some have said they have had to make repeated attempts over the course of multiple days. (That said, I am have not seen recent reports about current call volumes, or about how easy or difficult it has been to get through lately.)

I am not qualified to offer any advice about what to ask or what to say.

But I can offer some observations. You can ask questions without explaining anything at all about what you apprehend or why you think you have been contacted. Maintaining a balance between being cooperative and open, without unnecessarily volunteering information, can be challenging; better to avoid appearing evasive, but also best to not volunteer any more than necessary.

It can help to focus on stating things as simply as possible. Simple questions. Simple, direct answers to questions.

In particular, you can focus on asking questions without elaborating. You do not need to explain to anyone at IRCC what happened at the PoE, for example, or why it is you have questions.

In responding to questions stay focused on directly, succinctly answering the question asked. Here too, no need to elaborate. No need to explain. People often talk themselves into hot water, so to say, by what they say trying to explain what they did or in giving excuses . . . it's often the excuses that get them more than the facts.

Remember, at this stage you probably do not need to take any action to keep your PR status except to properly, appropriately respond to actions being taken by IRCC (if any). So, for example, no need to ask "is there anything I need to do to keep PR status." A more generic "Why was I contacted" Do I need to do something?" approach should suffice.

It may very well suffice, for now, to just be clear about making yourself available, about how you can be contacted.

I cannot guess how the conversation will go. If the only person you interact with is the telephone call centre agent, that person is not someone who makes any decisions that will affect your status. Their job is mostly to answer what are largely FAQ type questions. But they can also access a PR's GCMS records and report, to the PR, some personal information found there. Including the status of actions or procedures in the PR's case. I believe you will be able to clarify your contact information with this person.

At this stage it is not productive to speculate further about what the call centre agent might tell you about your situation. You will learn that. And then be able to process that information.

A big what-if, a looming contingency, is whether the call centre agent might transfer you to an actual processing agent or officer. I do not know that this is something that could happen. My sense is that this is not likely. But you might want to be prepared for this just in case it happens. If it does, this is where it is possible you could be asked substantive questions.

If this happens, if you end up in a conversation with a processing agent or officer, maintaining that balance between being cooperative without volunteering more than you need to, gets more difficult. Helps to keep it direct and simple.

It is also possible that IRCC could proceed to arrange for a telephone conference with an officer who is acting as a Minister's Delegate, who would be the officer deciding whether to formalize a 44(1) Report and Issue a Departure Order or to take no action. You should be prepared for this kind of conference (even if this never happens, better to be prepared), and to be specifically prepared to answer questions related to RO compliance and any H&C factors. And if this is happening, the explanations, the "excuses" so to say, do become relevant and probably necessary. But given your timeline, in addition to all the factors in your life that caused you to stay out of Canada as long as you did (which you should be prepared to state and explain as briefly as directly as possible, focusing on facts mostly), you can of course further explain that the Covid-19 situation made it more difficult to make the move to Canada sooner . . . I am assuming the latter is true, since it is indeed a situation regarding which it is hard to see how it could be otherwise.

My guess is that the call will be largely uneventful, in itself, other than you should get a more clear view of your situation. It is quite possible that there is NO action, NO process, NOTHING moving in the direction of a formal RO examination let alone a hearing to decide whether to issue a Departure (or Removal) Order. And hopefully that is what you learn. Or . . . not worth speculating more . . . best to just find out what you can about where things stand now and go from there.

Good luck.

And, of course, if you learn something that could help those of us in the forum better know or understand things, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I concur with the points above - I would just add:

1) Make sure that they have correct, up-to-date contact information for you (including mailing address); if you expect that will change eg after the required isolation period, specify. (It's even possible they were contacting to confirm contact details as per the next point)

2) While I don't think that someone from IRCC would be calling regarding the isolation, I wouldn't rule that out. Be prepared to give details of your isolation plan. (I raise this point as, given the noise about international travellers and covid, it's not impossible that IRCC has somehow been brought into the process - although this is speculation on my part).

3) As @dpenabill notes, it is possible you'll be asked about extenuating circumstances, or more simply, why you entered while out-of-compliance. Give some thought to how to respond if asked. Tell the truth but don't volunteer information.

4) Take notes on who you speak to (ask for their name/indentification and position). Also keep note of what you tell them. You do not want to (in future) be 'caught' with having given different and inconsistent responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill