+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding Humanitarian Refguee

abkfx84

Aug 19, 2018
Hello
I would like to ask a question regarding Humanitarian Refugee

I am orginale from Libya, and currently, I am Ph.D. candidate and I want to apply for Humanitarian Refugee.
I have ofcourse a student visa
My question, if applied for Humanitarian Refugee and my case is denied, can I apply through other ways to obtain PR. Normally, after I gradute I can obtain 3 years work permit. Thus, if my case is denied will I get the work permot for 3 years or not?

Any information about this question will be appreciated

All the best,
Abdurrazag

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You would be better off to continue with your studies and then apply for a PGWP and then your PR. No guarantee you would be able to continue your studies once you claim asylum. Your passport will be seized and your visas cancelled. If your claim isn’t successful, you will be looking at a removal order.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you are in your studies you could get PR faster going via study route and you wouldn't have to stop your education.

abkfx84

Aug 19, 2018
Dear BuleTruck the pasport sezied for polictal refugee not humanitarian. I have many friends applied to Hunmanitarian and they stil have their passports, and even they can visit Libya.
I am close to finish my study and I have still one year for my student visa.
The proess to obtain a PR thru PGWP is long and I need a job offer since I am 44 years old, I did not get the points for CSQ becuasle also I didn;t speak French.
Apply for PGWP in other province is diificult and most of them now ask for a job offer.
For this reason, I want to apply for Humaniantarian Refugee, but I want an answer if my case is denied, can I get work permit for 3 years after I graduate, and can I pply to obtain PR thru other ways such as PGWP?

Many thanks,
Abdurrazag

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear BuleTruck the pasport sezied for polictal refugee not humanitarian. I have many friends applied to Hunmanitarian and they stil have their passports, and even they can visit Libya.
I am close to finish my study and I have still one year for my student visa.
The proess to obtain a PR thru PGWP is long and I need a job offer since I am 44 years old, I did not get the points for CSQ becuasle also I didn;t speak French.
Apply for PGWP in other province is diificult and most of them now ask for a job offer.
For this reason, I want to apply for Humaniantarian Refugee, but I want an answer if my case is denied, can I get work permit for 3 years after I graduate, and can I pply to obtain PR thru other ways such as PGWP?

Many thanks,
Abdurrazag
You are getting confused about applying for asylum and applying for PR for H&C reasons. You will have your passport seized and your visas cancelled if you apply for asylum. You will also not be able to return to Libya or renew your passport until you are a Canadian citizen if you are accepted as a protected person. It takes around 2 years to get a hearing and 3 years to get PR as a protected person so it would much faster as a PGWP.

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once you go down the asylum route there is no going back to finishing your studies and PGWP. Would suggest you consult with a lawyer. You seem to be confused about a few things. They will likely suggest that finishing your studies and going through PGWP is the best option.

abkfx84

Aug 19, 2018
Dear Canuck
Thank you so mcuh for your reply
I am not confused. When I apply for politcial refugee it is true waht you said. However, weh I apply for Humanitarian I keep my passport and I can get back any time to my Country of origin. Ia m sure for these information and I have may freinds still have their passort and now they are waiting for the decsion.
I want the answer for my question:
If I apply for Humaniantarian Refugee, and my case is denied, can I get work permit for 3 years after I graduate, and can I pply to obtain PR thru other ways such as PGWP?

Many Thanks,
Abdurrazag

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There is no difference in the types of refugee. You can’t go back to libiya, they will seize your passport and cancel your visas. You are misunderstanding the whole process.

abkfx84

Aug 19, 2018
I am telling you I have friends they still have their passports. I definitely sure from that.
but this is not what I am asking for

Many Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Well, your wrong and you will find that you will loose your passport and one of the first documents you will sign is a removal order. As a refugee (there is no difference between persecuted, political, war or humanitarian refugees) you can not return to Libiya, nor renew or use your passport. Read up on re-availment.

https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef05.aspx

This is what you are thinking if, and it has a very low approval rate.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/after-apply-next-steps/refusal-options/humanitarian-compassionate-grounds.html

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would highly suggest you go see a lawyer because your friends are giving you bad advice and if they are from Libya seeking asylum they have been given bad advice. They seem to have selected the fastest option and not the most appropriate option. If you want chances at a successful application it is ver important you apply for asylum not H&C. If you get denied you won't be able to return your studies or work. You will struggle to stay in Canada.