+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding finding an apartment in Ontario (Canada)

msaleem216

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2007
Doc's Request.
10-03-2009
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2014
LANDED..........
3rd December,2014 INSHA ALLAH
nice information for new commers. pple who already landed can guide better
saleem

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
shkhassan said:
Scarborough is ghetto man. Not recommended for families
it depends which area in scarborough you're talking about, the area around danforth avenue& Victoria park intersection is quite good for families/or single people and its quite also close to downtown (in about 20-25 minutes you'll reach yonge/bloor station) . There are also lots of schools in that area, a few family clinics, and nearby stores where you can buy your groceries and other stuff (FreshCo, Metro,Target...)...

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
shkhassan said:
Scarborough is ghetto man. Not recommended for families
you can also share some details about your experience for the benefit of all, which area in Scarborough have you stayed in? & why you don't recommend it?

yolex01

Oct 15, 2011
London
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
6241 (Chef)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/07/2011
AOR Received.
21/09/2011
File Transfer...
beginning October 2011 / 2nd line 07/06/12
Med's Request
12/07/2012 requested with PCC & RPRF + some updated forms
Med's Done....
02/08/2012 / MR + updated forms & PCC delivered 08/08/12.....3rd line on E-cas 07/10/12
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
04/10/2012....PPs sent 05/10/2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM on E-cas 07/10/12 / visa issued 26/10/2012 / passports received back 01/11/2012
LANDED..........
January 2013
Hi,

All areas of Toronto will have a slightly rubbishy area....like everywhere else in the world. You just need to know which ones they are. Etobicoke is to the west side of Toronto (before Mississauga), it is ok but there is a bit less transport connections in my opinion, The Rexdale part of it is the area to avoid in my opinion since there's been a couple shootings there since I arrived in Feb. North York is ok but depending where you settle it could be a bit further from downtown so keep close to the subway line. Jane & Wilson (good shopping but area so so). The east side of toronto is the one with the best transport connections in my opinion. East York is the closest part (passing the Don Valley parkway I think) and then comes Scarborough which is an ok area. I also did hear bad thing about Scarb. but when we came here it was ok. It's got it's parts but so does downtown and any other town.
The one thing we found difficult was to secure a lease with no employment letter, credit history and landlord refs. but if you go the real state way that's most probably what you'll find. But if you look on the Kijiji, comprayventa.com, comercio latino (and I'm sure there is plenty of others) you may be able to find a landlord that will be ok with refs. and just first & last month (and maybe a security deposit).
Regarding the shopping areas, the best thing you can do it's to bring a map of Toronto in google get the area you are interested in and do a street view so that you scan around the area and check out what shops are around. Best for cheaper groceries are Food Basic, No Frills & Walmart (this one has clothing and household items too).
By the way, my landlady will be renting the upper part of the house I'm living in (I rent the basement, so she will be renting the rest of the house). It's a 4 BR detached house by Brimley & St. Clair (Scarb.), all services + internet & cable included and also independent laundry facilities. All furnished. Master. bedroom has walk in closet and en suite with whirlpool I think, second bedroom has en suite also and the other 2 bedroom share a Jack n Gill bathroom).
Pls if you have any question don't hesitate to ask but pls contact me through my email address: yolex01@hotmail.com as I don't log in here often anymore. I arrived to Canada in Feb with my family and are settling quite well. Best wishes to all.

SunshineNam

Jul 16, 2017
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
26-04-2017
IELTS Request
20-09-2016
Med's Done....
31-03-2016
Passport Req..
21-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-07-2017
LANDED..........
31-08-2017
What about Oshawa/Durham region?

I am taking 1 y diploma course from Durham College after landing to upgrade by credentials.

Any idea about rentals, survival jobs availability, & reputation of Durham College in job market (I am taking chemical engineering diploma (fast track) with field placement).

Please help..

Thanks.
Hi phdmaker!
I know this is a really old post and I hope you find this, but your's seems to be the only one that I have found regarding Durham College in this forum!
I too plan on joining a fast track diploma (biotechnology) in the same college in September. Did you end up taking the program? If yes, how has your experience been. Especially, with regards to finding a job afterwards.