+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regarding Delayed Applications - Possible Reason

Leoro619

Sep 1, 2015
Hello,
I have been watching many applicants complain about how their applications are delayed and others with similar timelines are moving way faster.

My oath is done and dusted and I received my certificate too. I had applied in August 2021 and I had my Oath in October 2022.

In September 2022 I had ordered my ATIP notes from CBSA to see what was going on.

In the ATIP notes, I noticed there is category for "TRIAGE" and I was assigned a category such as L1 or L2 or L3 and so on. I won't tell my assigned category for obvious reasons.

The reason I am saying this is, it seems they are Triaging applications just how hospitals in Canada triage patients.
This Triage thing seems separate from delays due to being Online over Paper application.

This Triage thing seems like it might take into consideration other factors such as Age, Education, Work Experience and so on. and I have a feeling they would give a better Triage ratings to those who are more "beneficial" for the growth of the Canadian Economy. The government has repeatedly mentioned labour shortage and I won't be surprised if this was the reason they would triage applications. It is highly possible that the applications waiting for 2017-2020 are the ones who might have lower Triage rating which means they would get processed only when other applications with better triage ratings are processed.

Just a thought.

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
Hello,
I have been watching many applicants complain about how their applications are delayed and others with similar timelines are moving way faster.

My oath is done and dusted and I received my certificate too. I had applied in August 2021 and I had my Oath in October 2022.

In September 2022 I had ordered my ATIP notes from CBSA to see what was going on.

In the ATIP notes, I noticed there is category for "TRIAGE" and I was assigned a category such as L1 or L2 or L3 and so on. I won't tell my assigned category for obvious reasons.

The reason I am saying this is, it seems they are Triaging applications just how hospitals in Canada triage patients.
This Triage thing seems separate from delays due to being Online over Paper application.

This Triage thing seems like it might take into consideration other factors such as Age, Education, Work Experience and so on. and I have a feeling they would give a better Triage ratings to those who are more "beneficial" for the growth of the Canadian Economy. The government has repeatedly mentioned labour shortage and I won't be surprised if this was the reason they would triage applications. It is highly possible that the applications waiting for 2017-2020 are the ones who might have lower Triage rating which means they would get processed only when other applications with better triage ratings are processed.

Just a thought.

Just trying to understand here that how does approving citizenship application help Canadian economy? Since people who applied for citizenship already have PR status..can you please share your thoughts @Leoro619 ?

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Hello,

Just a thought.
Interesting info. I am guessing most of the PRs are working and are somewhat settled here in Canada. Apart from refugees, PRs have been accepted to Canada based on age, work experience and educational qualifications, hence they might already been working. So I am not sure how the triage rates really affect their chances of better employment.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Just trying to understand here that how does approving citizenship application help Canadian economy? Since people who applied for citizenship already have PR status..can you please share your thoughts @Leoro619 ?
The triage could also take into account present location. I am guessing that those who are at present not in Canada, have taken the test outside Canada are being put into the lowest priority.

Also, if you follow some writers on social media esp Twitter who are vocal critics of the economy esp housing and social benefits, they report an increasing number of new Canadians who are leaving Canada for better prospects after becoming citizens. Maybe there is an written protocol to assess these cases as a 'flight risk' and deprioritize them. I have no evidence to support this claim, just hunch based on what I have read over the last year or so.

Couple this with the backlog of cases due to Covid, the puzzle is almost falling into place.

wink

May 25, 2021
Hello,

Just a thought.
I doubt it. If that's what happening, they can't keep it secret, they should publish it, I would think. Or maybe it is my wishful thinking, and they can do whatever they want... I mean policy-wise...

Reactions: medwiz and iceman55

medwiz

May 25, 2014
I think thats a lot of conjecture and frankly reading too much into what's happening...for one if it is true that IRCC are actively triaging "read: discriminating" applications based on ANY criteria well that would be a scandal.. highly unlikely...plus as mentioned most applicants are working and contributing to the economy anyway...
It's simply a matter of resource allocation...huge backlog, not enough staff...systems and tools that are old and don't help...

tbear

Aug 12, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
London (BWJ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2014
Doc's Request.
26/08/2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application - 7.5
Med's Done....
08/09/2016
Passport Req..
13/09/2016
Hello,

Just a thought.
I got my GCMS notes but the TRIAGE is blank for me though

iceman55

May 1, 2022
A lot of people here think their personal application represents the entire universe.

Sure, traige literally means categorizing and prioritizing in any context. But it doesn't say anywhere it's by any one factor or the other, it could be any number of things - name, address history, countries traveled to, reasons and frequency of travel, income and employment history or anything else.

People who think they traveled a lot and got their application delayed say travel is the problem but if that's the case we should see a lot more concetntrated cases. Compared to the amount of people who would be traveling on a regular basis or have connections to a foreign employer, the number of posts seem realtively less. In fact people that traveled everday or weekly for work are getting their applications processed within the normal timelines in vast majority of cases. At most they get a CIT 0520 for I 94/passports. If they have designed a process to slow down these applications specifially a lot more applicants would face problems.

And does it mean everyone who stayed put got their applications processed instantly?

Even outside all the biographic information, there is not enough credit given to the logistical difficulties within IRCC.

For instance, all of the fingerprints over the past month got delayed - almost frozen. Does it mean they're punishing all the people who've been fingerprinted in August and September? If you're one of those affected, ir's possible you might think that but that's not the truth.

I'm pretty sure there are also many cases of misplaced files during/after COVID as well. Not to mention Ontario offices are the fastest and offices like Edmonton are habitually slow after COVID. Does it mean they're punishing Edmonton residents and rewarding people in Ontario because of where they reside?

Correlation and causation are different.

I understand it's tempting to call trends but in many cases we think we've identified the trend but in fact we have taken the exception cases and calling it the new trend. In that process we seem to be giving a hugely disproportionate weight to our own personal scenarios than how things are shaping up in general.

Leoro619

Sep 1, 2015
It was just an example I gave. They could have a lot of Triage factors and economy could just be one. There are various other demographic factors. But again, all this is just conjecture at this point. How their system is designed would be impossible to know.

Leoro619

Sep 1, 2015
I think thats a lot of conjecture and frankly reading too much into what's happening...for one if it is true that IRCC are actively triaging "read: discriminating" applications based on ANY criteria well that would be a scandal.. highly unlikely...plus as mentioned most applicants are working and contributing to the economy anyway...
It's simply a matter of resource allocation...huge backlog, not enough staff...systems and tools that are old and don't help...
Yes, it could purely be a conjecture from my end. I am just surprised that they have a category for Triage. In the ATIP notes which are in itself just highlights of how IRCC has processed your file, I am a little surprised that they have a rating for Triage. Why would they need to have that category unless for IRCC triage means something entirely else.
I googled Triage and it seems its a part of the Six Sigma process which is in itself a prioritization technique.
Here is an example: https://www.isixsigma.com/methodology/business-process-management-bpm/using-triage-manage-process-workloads-services/

Reactions: medwiz

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
Yes, it could purely be a conjecture from my end. I am just surprised that they have a category for Triage. In the ATIP notes which are in itself just highlights of how IRCC has processed your file, I am a little surprised that they have a rating for Triage. Why would they need to have that category unless for IRCC triage means something entirely else.
I googled Triage and it seems its a part of the Six Sigma process which is in itself a prioritization technique.
Here is an example: https://www.isixsigma.com/methodology/business-process-management-bpm/using-triage-manage-process-workloads-services/
A most common example of Triage is priority given to people from "Afghanistan" and "Ukraine", if their applications come up in the queue, Triage team will prioritize it first to resolve, same officer who was working on your Citizenship application will put it aside and start working on those priority items. When those items are resolved, by the time he is ready to resume application that were put on hold, he may get another set of priority item, until they start to feel that hold time is too much now, then they unload some of the priority items and let officer resumes old one. So those who feel that they don't see any movement in their application while others are moving faster, this is one of good example. Just pray this world learn to live in peace and don't go into Wars, otherwise you know what Canada will do; we have examples from Syria to Afghanistan and now Ukraine. IRCC will also never sleep peacefully until Wars are over in the world.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Of course IRCC uses screening factors, some indeed called "Triage Criteria / Risk Indicators," to decide which applications should be subject to additional inquiries or processing that is outside mainstream processing, or as most in this forum know it, "non-routine" processing. Notwithstanding the periodic allegations otherwise, screening applications for additional or non-routine processing is not arbitrary or capricious, and while it can be random (such as attendant particular quality assurance projects), it usually is not. The "Triage Criteria / Risk Indicators" in particular are used in screening citizenship applications to identify if there are reasons to question the applicant's physical presence.

Spoiler alert (not really; just about everyone is well aware of this): applications subject to non-routine processing suffer longer processing timelines, and those subject to RQ-related non-routine processing in particular will incur delays. No surprise.

RQ-related requests are not the only kind of non-routine processing. Of course IRCC also uses screening criteria in much of its internal decision-making for determining if and when and what non-routine processing is needed, which covers a broad range from merely verification of identity resulting in a Finger Print request (typically causing only a short delay), to more salient concerns such as those involving prohibitions screening which, in turn, can involve security concerns adding YEARS of delay. But the "Triage Criteria / Risk Indicators," in particular and as set out in the File Requirements Checklist, are mostly about physical presence concerns, about reasons to question the applicant's physical presence . . . about which applications are selected for RQ-related non-routine processing. How much delay this can cause will vary widely, recognizing that it may involve minimal specific requests (and moderate delays) or range up to the full blown CIT 0171 RQ (longer delays), BUT can also trigger a referral to CBSA and its NSSD to investigate the applicant. The latter, being investigatory, ordinarily will not be visible in the version of CGMS notes obtained by clients, so applicants will not necessary know this is happening other than those experiencing longer delays than most should be able to guess this is a likely reason why.

The last publicly leaked version of the File Requirements Checklist (FRC), which lists the triage criteria, is a decade old, so we do not know to what extent the triage criteria has changed over the years (noting that changes in law since then would mandate quite a few changes, even if just as to the numbers alone).

So, yes, IRCC employs triage criteria in screening citizenship applications to identify if there are reasons to question the applicant's physical presence, but the details of this are confidential, not shared publicly, and information related to the triage criteria is consistently redacted from responses to Access to Information requests seeking information about the citizenship application process. So we do not know the current criteria employed. In particular, the last publicly shared version of the criteria I have seen dates back to 2012. That version was downright draconian . . . as just one example, if in any period of time during the eligibility period the applicant was self-employed or a consultant, that triggered full-blown RQ. While subsequent Access to Information requests have generated some occasional, collateral references to the triage criteria, clearly indicating changes at least in their application, that's about all we know of the current triage criteria . . . that and it is historically derived from "reasons to question residency" in an appendix to the Operational Manual CP 5 "Residence," replaced initially by Operational Bulletin 407 (much of which has never been shared publicly), and the parts still being shared with the public now found in Program Delivery Instructions (PDIs) for citizenship, and the confidential side is in non-public internal information, including confidential forms and templates and their instructions, which includes the FRC and the File Preparation and Analysis Template (FPAT), both of which are confidential.

For Reference; 2012 to 2014 Version of Triage Criteria (based on last-for-certain copy of FRC)

Below I copy the triage criteria IRCC was using 2012 to 2014 (perhaps longer), as taken from a leaked copy of the FRC, Part A. Initially a check of any of these triggered full-blown RQ, but that was resulting in one in every four applicants getting RQ. So, by early 2013 CIC (before name change to IRCC) was modifying how the criteria were applied, some of which we knew for sure based on content of internal memos obtained through the ATI process.

FRC said:
FROM PART A FRC --

TRIAGE CRITERIA / RISK INDICATORS

- Applicant Characteristics:

A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.​
A2 - NCB in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern.​
A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.​
A4 - Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.​
A5 - Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.​
A6 - Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.​
A7 - Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.​

- Family Characteristics:
B1 - Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.​
B2 - A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.​

- Documents:
C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.​
C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.​
C3 - Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.​
C4 - NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.​
This is NOT current, not for many years now. Some changes would be obvious, like references to "relevant period" (now called the "eligibility period") related to the 3/4 years presence requirement (2012 to 2015), in contrast to the 3/5 rule today. No great power of prophecy necessary to recognize most of these are likely to be part of the triage criteria still, with amendments and subject to the manner in which they are interpreted and applied.

The biggest difference, so far as we can discern, is how the criteria are applied. Take the C1 Triage factor, for example, which is triggered by the applicant's ID having been issued within 3 months. This factor alone triggered RQ at least well into 2013; but by sometime in 2014 it appears that this was just considered along with other factors in deciding whether to issue RQ. It is not certain this is still one of the triage factors.

Consider the C2 triage factor, triggered by an inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form; this is almost certainly still a triage factor, but not likely to trigger RQ by itself, and perhaps not even trigger much more scrutiny unless there are other triage factors suggesting reason to more closely examine the applicant's presence calculation.

Consider the A4 Triage factor in contrast. Internal CIC memos (again, ATI product) indicated that this only got checked if the discrepancy was for more than . . . I forget the exact number of days, but at least three . . . or there were two or more discrepancies, but again in 2012/2013 this alone triggered RQ; by 2015 or 2016 we saw reliable anecdotal reporting that even a discrepancy of three weeks might not trigger RQ if the application was otherwise solid, the applicant's information otherwise credible and indicated an oversight, and there was a substantially larger margin of presence. While the precise terms of this triage factor may have changed and be different now, this is certainly still a triage factor, the only question being how it is applied . . . and even as to that, it is probably safe to believe unless the discrepancy exceeds a specified threshold it is just one factor considered in conjunction with others, allowing that the bigger the discrepancy (including in comparison to any margin over the minimum), the more negative weight it has.

Fatme2009

Star Member
May 14, 2021
Hello,

Just a thought.
!?!!!!!