+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused. When To Apply For Restoration Of Status >> Common Law

tony.harris

Jun 20, 2020
Hi all my visitor visa extension was refused in mid May. Then we found out we’re eligible for common law, so me and my partner have been working on putting together the application (she’s canadian sponsoring me). Lawyers said i have 3 months to apply for restoration from the date of receiving my refusal so haven’t applied for yet since we needed more time to gather common law documents for restoration reasoning/proof.

But i don’t want to apply for restoration too late into the 3 months, when do you think is a good time to apply for restoration? Should i send it along with our common law visa application which will be complete in 2-3 weeks? So there’s good reasoning/proof.

Or maybe do apply for restoration asap? Just pay the common law fee’s early and send those in as proof.

Let us know, thanks :)

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
What was the reason for refusal?

tony.harris

Jun 20, 2020
No specific reason, it was generic it just said that there may be a variety of reasons that an extension may be refused and listed some reasons

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
No specific reason, it was generic it just said that there may be a variety of reasons that an extension may be refused and listed some reasons
Order gcms notes. You can see the officers reasoning for refusal and that will help you address any concerns they might have in your restoration app.

tony.harris

Jun 20, 2020
Order gcms notes. You can see the officers reasoning for refusal and that will help you address any concerns they might have in your restoration app.

Though I’m pretty sure I know the reasoning , it’s like the 5th visitor visa extension I applied for (all previous 4 being approved).

To be clear, my marital status has changed since applying for extension, we became common law in January, and applied for the extension in December right before my visitor visa expired. I didn’t mention my partner since it wasn’t relevant.

I only recently found out about the common law visa . And with the pandemic I can’t just leave my partner as we pay rent together, which will be the reasoning in the restoration.

I’m just curious as to when I should be applying for the restoration before my Common Law application is sent or at the same time?

Thanks

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
@Joeydocs for visitor extension.
Order gcms notes to see the officers reason for refusing your application that way when you apply for restoration you can address any concerns they might have regarding your case.

Reactions: kmychan

kmychan

Jun 20, 2020
Order gcms notes to see the officers reason for refusing your application that way when you apply for restoration you can address any concerns they might have regarding your case.
@Joeydocs Thank you for your suggestion. Do you know the link to get the gcms notes? How long do I have to wait for it? I really appreciate your help.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
@Joeydocs Thank you for your suggestion. Do you know the link to get the gcms notes? How long do I have to wait for it? I really appreciate your help.
After they send your the notes let me know what they say if you feel comfortable posting it publicly.

Reactions: kmychan

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Though I’m pretty sure I know the reasoning , it’s like the 5th visitor visa extension I applied for (all previous 4 being approved).

To be clear, my marital status has changed since applying for extension, we became common law in January, and applied for the extension in December right before my visitor visa expired. I didn’t mention my partner since it wasn’t relevant.

I only recently found out about the common law visa . And with the pandemic I can’t just leave my partner as we pay rent together, which will be the reasoning in the restoration.

I’m just curious as to when I should be applying for the restoration before my Common Law application is sent or at the same time?

Thanks
Hi there - since you no longer have status in Canada you'd be well advised to carry something that says that you've applied for restoration. While it isn't likely to happen, you could be arrested, detained and removed without much trouble or paperwork for the CBSA inland officer.

People without legal status in Canada are easy pickings but if you can show that you're actively pursuing a return to legal visitor's status then they might not cuff you up and haul you away. Having an enforcement file and a removal order will submerge you into a significant immigration morass as you try to return to Canada, and you can expect to add year(s) to the process, so that's the possible downside of waiting to fix your current illegality.

Good luck