+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused Post Graduation Work Permit

maria-rita

Sep 5, 2018
I applied for my PGWP on May 29, and my study permit expired on July 3.
On August 29 I received a refusal letter saying:
"As you have not submitted the required documentation in regard to the completion of your
studies, you are not eligible for a work permit in this category. We also wish to advise you that your temporary resident status expired on 29 August 2018."
It was when I realized the college has sent me the transcript letter missing the most important information, that I have completed my studies. The college made me a letter of explanation assuming their fault.
QUESTIONS:
1- Is it better to apply for a restoration and PGWP online, in paper or go to the border?
2- Can I restore my status as student if I've finished my studies by end of April? (My permit expired on July 3).

PLEASE HELP!!!! I've already talked with an immigration consultant and she told me to try the border.

Last edited:

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I applied for my PGWP on May 29, and my study permit expired on July 3.
On August 29 I received a refusal letter saying:
"As you have not submitted the required documentation in regard to the completion of your
studies, you are not eligible for a work permit in this category. We also wish to advise you that your temporary resident status expired on 29 August 2018."
It was when I realized the college has sent me the transcript letter missing the most important information, that I have completed my studies. The college made me a letter of explanation assuming their fault.
QUESTIONS:
1- Is it better to apply for a restoration and PGWP online, in paper or go to the border?
2- If I go to the border, can I apply for a PGWP even with my expired Study permit?

PLEASE HELP!!!! I've already talked with an immigration consultant and she told me to try the border.
You cannot apply at the border since you'll technically be leaving the country and re entering. Restoration process allows applicants to remain inside Canada and is only allowed if you restore and apply within Canada as well. If you leave the country, you won't be under restoration anymore and you won't be able to re enter Canada.

maria-rita

Sep 5, 2018
You cannot apply at the border since you'll technically be leaving the country and re entering. Restoration process allows applicants to remain inside Canada and is only allowed if you restore and apply within Canada as well. If you leave the country, you won't be under restoration anymore and you won't be able to re enter Canada.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Now I'm wondering, I've finished my studies by end of April. Can I still restore my status as student?