+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused Permit at POE

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of what exactly happens at the POE (particularly air) if a work permit application is denied, or there is a request for additional documents?
I'm going to be applying soon, and am trying to have an idea of as many possibilities as I can, because although I've had this same permit approved before for the same position, I know every application is unique.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of what exactly happens at the POE (particularly air) if a work permit application is denied, or there is a request for additional documents?
I'm going to be applying soon, and am trying to have an idea of as many possibilities as I can, because although I've had this same permit approved before for the same position, I know every application is unique.
You can’t apply for a new WP upon arrival. Has your WP been approved already?

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
No. I've reached the CIC processing time estimation, and still haven't reached the eligibility review, so because my employer is getting antsy (as am I), I'm booked to fly up next week and apply if I don't get a response before then.

There may be some confusion in my original post. 3 years ago, I applied under the same title, NOC and program (but from within Canada) and received it. This time I'm applying from outside and anticipating the possible scenarios that I didn't have to accommodate last time.

My understanding is that I'll be given a form withdrawing my application and told to go back to the US, where I can appeal (based on reason for refusal, of course). Seeing as how I'll still also have an online application in, I can only wonder how that might play it if I were approved online at the same time I'm refused at the POE...

But my other question is if they ask for more documents while I'm in the POE application? My flight gets in after business hours, so I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of what happens in that situation. Trying to suss that out with CBSA, but that hasn't really been fruitful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What type of WP are you applying for?

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
NAFTA / CUSMA

There were some issues with my last employer at the tail end of that WP, as well as their record keeping (small disorganized non-profit), so I'm on heightened alert to have that come up and attract any scrutiny.

Soni_

Mar 26, 2022
NAFTA / CUSMA

There were some issues with my last employer at the tail end of that WP, as well as their record keeping (small disorganized non-profit), so I'm on heightened alert to have that come up and attract any scrutiny.
Did you get you WP at PoE? Did you have any problems because you have already an online application?