+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal Purpose of Visit / Travel History

sorigan

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
I was recently refused visa into Canada, I have never been out of my home country Nigeria, but then , I plan on submitting my visa application again.
Here is what, I want to ask, is travel history a mandatory requirement? In the area of purpose of Visit, Can I just say i want to apply for visit on grounds of Vacation?

Careful explanation of things would be a thing of help at this point.

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
Travel history is important because through this the Visa Officer will know that an applicant did not overstay in a country he/she visited and this also proves that the applicant is financially capable to travel. Some applicants are granted even without travel history provided that their ties (job, family, assets) are strong and their purpose of visit are valid.

sorigan

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
Travel history is important because through this the Visa Officer will know that an applicant did not overstay in a country he/she visited and this also proves that the applicant is financially capable to travel. Some applicants are granted even without travel history provided that their ties (job, family, assets) are strong and their purpose of visit are valid.
Point taken, but what if in this case I have never traveled before? I have a job at a bank as a Senior Software Engineer, And I have dependents who live here in Nigeria (Father and Mother is old, and I also have siblings here as well) ?

My salary runs in half a million in my currency / month and about 6 million annually. I have a registered business here as well, (I attached the company registration document / certificate and a sworn affidavit first time).

I did not attach an Itinerary though and a letter of explanation (I believe this is what faulted the application) , Do you think If I have those, I stand a better chance this time?

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
Point taken, but what if in this case I have never traveled before? I have a job at a bank as a Senior Software Engineer, And I have dependents who live here in Nigeria (Father and Mother is old, and I also have siblings here as well) ?
My salary runs in half a million in my currency / month and about 6 million annually. I have a registered business here as well, (I attached the company registration document / certificate and a sworn affidavit first time).
As mentioned, even if you have no travel history you can be granted a visa as long as the other factors are strong (ties, purpose). Having no planned itinerary did not work on your end as it gave the Visa Officer doubt if you will leave Canada. How can you establish that you are a tourist if you never indicated the places you wanted to see in Canada?
Being single is sort of a liability. Your mother, father and sibling cannot be declared as your dependents. It is always the wife/husband and your children.
Another thing, some people from Nigeria gets rejected due to the fact that some people from this country violated immigration rules. Like overstaying or even going there pregnant to give birth. This is the reason that applications from this country are thoroughly checked.
I did not attach an Itinerary though and a letter of explanation (I believe this is what faulted the application) , Do you think If I have those, I stand a better chance this time?
The flight itinerary (not plane tickets) and planned itinerary is very important. The visa officer would need to know the duration of your visit and what are you going to do in Canada. You can't just say you want to visit. If indeed you go for Tourism purpose, they need to know the places and activities you plan to do.
The letter of explanation is not really mandatory. But a way whether you want to explain some things (example you lack documents, you just provided an affidavit instead) and your way to sort of speak to the visa officer. Through this you can say your reasons "why" you want to visit Canada like reunite with family or visit the places you declared on the planned itinerary. Like seeing Niagara and Banff was always your dream destination.. I hope you get my flow.

Last edited:

Dimeji-72

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-Dec-2019
i was also rejected entry into Canada recently on the basis of travel history, the visa officer claimed i had no previous experience though i attached my proof (visa pages of both me and my wife to SouthAfrica and the UK). I really cannot understand

sorigan

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
As mentioned, even if you have no travel history you can be granted a visa as long as the other factors are strong (ties, purpose). Having no planned itinerary did not work on your end as it gave the Visa Officer doubt if you will leave Canada. How can you establish that you are a tourist if you never indicated the places you wanted to see in Canada?
Being single is sort of a liability. Your mother, father and sibling cannot be declared as your dependents. It is always the wife/husband and your children.
Another thing, some people from Nigeria gets rejected due to the fact that some people from this country violated immigration rules. Like overstaying or even going there pregnant to give birth. This is the reason that applications from this country are thoroughly checked.

The flight itinerary (not plane tickets) and planned itinerary is very important. The visa officer would need to know the duration of your visit and what are you going to do in Canada. You can't just say you want to visit. If indeed you go for Tourism purpose, they need to know the places and activities you plan to do.
The letter of explanation is not really mandatory. But a way whether you want to explain some things (example you lack documents, you just provided an affidavit instead) and your way to sort of speak to the visa officer. Through this you can say your reasons "why" you want to visit Canada like reunite with family or visit the places you declared on the planned itinerary. Like seeing Niagara and Banff was always your dream destination.. I hope you get my flow.

It makes some sense now.

Now when i say i am single , I am not married, but in Civil Union with someone who I intend getting married to in some couple of months, We do not have a child (At least yet), Can this go? I indicated this in an earlier application, and they did not give a red flag... Pls what do u think?

Secondly, I did present all documents as requested, and backed them with affidavits, including a leave letter from the company i worked with, Only, I did not bring a letter of Explanation...

As you can see the only two things that gave me trouble were reason for visit and travel History, So I currently speak, I have visited some Nations here in W.Africa, Can this work too? My thoughts were, the letter of explanation as well as itinerary led to my downfall there...

Further advises , Please.. Let me know where I went wrong

sorigan

Star Member
Dec 21, 2017
i was also rejected entry into Canada recently on the basis of travel history, the visa officer claimed i had no previous experience though i attached my proof (visa pages of both me and my wife to SouthAfrica and the UK). I really cannot understand
How many years is this travel history you speak of?