+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal of a work permit extension for a postdoc

tripathiam87

May 29, 2018
Hi,
Any one got refused their work permit extension for a postdoc with the same employer? I application was refused just because they have mentionend employer did not submit 230$ but I just used old LMIA no, unfortunately. I was expecting they might ask for the new one but they have refused it. Now I am applyong for restoration status. Can anyone tell how much time will it take to restore the status? As I know it may take a few weeks to months but really want to know time because I do not have any saving. Thanks in advance for your time and comment.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
Any one got refused their work permit extension for a postdoc with the same employer? I application was refused just because they have mentionend employer did not submit 230$ but I just used old LMIA no, unfortunately. I was expecting they might ask for the new one but they have refused it. Now I am applyong for restoration status. Can anyone tell how much time will it take to restore the status? As I know it may take a few weeks to months but really want to know time because I do not have any saving. Thanks in advance for your time and comment.
None of us can tell you exactly how long it will take. It varies from application to application. As you've said, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

tripathiam87

May 29, 2018
None of us can tell you exactly how long it will take. It varies from application to application. As you've said, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I mean is if someone has experience. I read a lot and did not get any concrete info. I also have called CIC but they do not about time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I mean is if someone has experience. I read a lot and did not get any concrete info. I also have called CIC but they do not about time.
No time is given because it is entirely dependent on the individual app.

tripathiam87

May 29, 2018
Did you have any updates?
Thanks
Hi,
I got my work permit after 90 days. However, I did not receive any request for passport for TRV. They have mailed (post) work permit to my address in Canada. However, I am wondering about TRV. I have heard I have to send them a new application for TRV but I had submitted 5257IMM for TRV with my work permit application.

samsam2020

Jan 21, 2020
cool. good job. did you say you overstayed in the restoration application?
Did you have a layer to give some important points etc?
Can you provide us more info?
your supervisor provided a new LMIA exemption plus employment offer number?
may I also ask which province?

My work permit was refused due to passport validity. I am really worried and its 2 weeks past my 90days grace period.

Please provide more info on your situation.

Thanks agian.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My work permit was refused due to passport validity. I am really worried and its 2 weeks past my 90days grace period.

Thanks agian.
If you're 2 days past your 90 day grace period, then it's really too late to do anything from within Canada and you have no choice but to leave Canada to fix your status.

samsam2020

Jan 21, 2020
I only received my passport two days before.
I had no way to leave Canada without a valid passport.
Thanks for the heads-up.

tripathiam87

May 29, 2018

Thanks agian.
Hi,

My situation was:

(i) Initially, I got two years of postdoc offer letter ( I was not in Canada) but I got a work permit + TRV till the validity of my passport. However, I received a new Indian passport in Canada and applied for an extension of my work permit more than 30 days before the expiring of my work permit. I did not use the new LMIA exemption and neither paid a new compliance fee of 230$ by the employer. That's why they have rejected my work permit (total time period they took 105 days).
(ii) I got a refusal letter with 90 days validity/grace period for a new application. After two weeks of receiving the refusal letter, I had applied for a new work permit with restoration status (paid 155+200$). I included the following documents: Job offer letter, new LMIA exemption no. compliance fee was paid by the employer. In addition, I wrote an explanation letter (client information) where I provided all the details. Why I have overstayed in Canada- because I was waiting for my work permit extension), currently not working (because in that letter they have strictly mentioned you can not work during your restoration status). Moreover, I have called them several times and also sent them several webform to process my application as soon as possible but the took exactly 90 days. I live in Quebec but I think the province does not matter. I understand your current mental situation, if you need any further information kindly let me know.

samsam2020

Jan 21, 2020
Thank you very much for the details and much appreciated.
Your reply provided enough answers and its great to look at it and have positive stories.
Thanks again.
Best
Ayyappa