+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal based on previous refusal - Is it dependent on the VO?

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Hi, hope everyone is safe and healthy
I am planning to reapply again after being refused last May 2020. (my program was supposed to start that month; I submitted Feb and the approval got delayed because of the pandemic) It is already my 4th straight refusal, and also because of "studies not being reasonable" (I've already changed program 3 times), but am still hopeful. I heard that someone got a visa on their 7th try (but I don't hope it will come to that).

Anyway, these are my GCMS notes:

"Documentation on file reviewed. I note the applicants numerous previous refusals for a Canadian SP. Applicant wishes to undertake a technical writing certificate program at Seneca College. I note that according to the applicant's resume he already works in a technical writing job, has 17 years of professional writing experience including supervisory positions and holds a BSC in Communications Technology Management. As such, I am not satisfied that the proposed course of studies reflects a logical academic or career progression for the applicant. Therefore I am not satisfied with the applicant's purpose for studying in Canada, nor that the applicant would be a genuine student whose intent is to study and would respect the terms of admission. Application denied."

First of all, I am a content writer and not a "technical writer" as the VO claims (these two types of writing are different, and I already explained it in table form in my SOP. I am just saddened that perhaps the VO didn't read my SOP and just based the decision on my resume and app form, even though I tried to explain in detail in my SOP (which was around 4 pages) why the program will be taking is different and a progression to my current program. I also noticed they based it on my refusals. Is it because of the COVID situation that they didn't go through the SOP anymore? Is there any way they can look past my refusals?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I am planning to reapply again after being refused last May 2020. (my program was supposed to start that month; I submitted Feb and the approval got delayed because of the pandemic) It is already my 4th straight refusal, and also because of "studies not being reasonable" (I've already changed program 3 times), but am still hopeful. I heard that someone got a visa on their 7th try (but I don't hope it will come to that).

"Documentation on file reviewed. I note the applicants numerous previous refusals for a Canadian SP. Applicant wishes to undertake a technical writing certificate program at Seneca College. I note that according to the applicant's resume he already works in a technical writing job, has 17 years of professional writing experience including supervisory positions and holds a BSC in Communications Technology Management. As such, I am not satisfied that the proposed course of studies reflects a logical academic or career progression for the applicant. Therefore I am not satisfied with the applicant's purpose for studying in Canada, nor that the applicant would be a genuine student whose intent is to study and would respect the terms of admission. Application denied."

First of all, I am a content writer and not a "technical writer" as the VO claims (these two types of writing are different, and I already explained it in table form in my SOP. I am just saddened that perhaps the VO didn't read my SOP and just based the decision on my resume and app form, even though I tried to explain in detail in my SOP (which was around 4 pages) why the program will be taking is different and a progression to my current program. I also noticed they based it on my refusals. Is it because of the COVID situation that they didn't go through the SOP anymore? Is there any way they can look past my refusals?

you are so qualified for that program, sometimes the officer say something about the principal idea of the person is IMMIGRATE.

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014

The rejections seems genuine based on VO finding. What is your profile? Like previous education, age and employment status and your proposed study?

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019

Since you're constantly changing programs every application, it confirms the visa officer's notes that your purpose of visit to canada is for studying or that you're a genuine student. And your chosen course of study is not logical.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Since you're constantly changing programs every application, it confirms the visa officer's notes that your purpose of visit to canada is for studying or that you're a genuine student. And your chosen course of study is not logical.
I only changed my program after my 2nd application because I tried to explain why there was a logical progression in my program in my 2nd application with GCMS notes, but the visa officer still wasn't convinced :(

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
The rejections seems genuine based on VO finding. What is your profile? Like previous education, age and employment status and your proposed study?
I'm 39, graduate of Business Communications Technology Management, and working as Content Writer. I wanted to take up graduate certificate in Technical Writing (which is very different from my job which entails content writing).

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
you are so qualified for that program, sometimes the officer say something about the principal idea of the person is IMMIGRATE.
I did explain in my SOP that I was a genuine student and gave detailed reasons why. I also showed my travel record, and that I've been to 10 countries before, and 3 of them needed a visa.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you've kinda screwed it up. After 2 refusals, chances fall dramatically lower and after four times you are asking for a miracle. Just because someone else got it after 7 times doesn't take away from the fact that statistically speaking, it's bleak. You are old (in education terms), have so much experience as well as a Bachelor's and your study is a certificate which is the lowest level of study. It is clear you are trying to immigrate. A better plan would have been an MBA or Master's which are more suited for your age. But, as @jweekend points out, you changing programs like its a game will further enforce the notion that you're just looking to immigrate in the long term. We all are, let's not lie but you can't show it in your SP application.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you've kinda screwed it up. After 2 refusals, chances fall dramatically lower and after four times you are asking for a miracle. Just because someone else got it after 7 times doesn't take away from the fact that statistically speaking, it's bleak. You are old (in education terms), have so much experience as well as a Bachelor's and your study is a certificate which is the lowest level of study. It is clear you are trying to immigrate. A better plan would have been an MBA or Master's which are more suited for your age. But, as @jweekend points out, you changing programs like its a game will further enforce the notion that you're just looking to immigrate in the long term. We all are, let's not lie but you can't show it in your SP application.
Thank you for your feedback. Would you know any other alternative or any other pathway? I've also tried applying for masters twice before in Canada but did not make the cut.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Yes, I've also looked into Express Entry but my points don't meet the minimum CRS of around 460. I've also looked into PNP, but as a writer, my work isn't really that much in demand, even for an LMIA :(
You can try for Graduate Programs from universities located in Smaller Provinces or those located in remote location and take your chances. Try for MBA or Course based Masters in Management related programs.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
You can try for Graduate Programs from universities located in Smaller Provinces or those located in remote location and take your chances. Try for MBA or Course based Masters in Management related programs.
Thank you, appreciate it :)