Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for reply, my friend is also in similar situation as the OP. However, he already got his PR after being a protected person for almost 5 years in Canada. (He is not a Canadian citizen yet). My question is, if he is already granted PR, can he still travel to his home country using his passport?
Having Canadian PR status does NOT remove the restriction on using your national passport to go anywhere or visiting your country of citizenship.
Only having Canadian citizenship does.

Travelling on your national passport places you "under the protection" of your country of citizenship and also shows that you are capable of being returned to it in the event of being refused entry into another country or deported from it.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Having Canadian PR status does NOT remove the restriction on using your national passport to go anywhere or visiting your country of citizenship.
Only having Canadian citizenship does.

Travelling on your national passport places you "under the protection" of your country of citizenship and also shows that you are capable of being returned to it in the event of being refused entry into another country or deported from it.
I would also like to add that becoming a PR through the Protected Persons PR category does not mean that the person is no longer a Refugee/Protected Person.

Reactions: zardoz and canuck78

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
i will just say! yall mad stupid why the hell do you flee from your country if you are so eager to go back or use identification from them??

just get an RTD and travel with that you now when claiming asylum things was not gonna be the same, so if you want to use your passport no one will stop you go right ahead and when you are applying for citizenship and they question you make sure you have good answers and also lets hope you dont get sick when you travel and they check the document you have and ship your ass back to the country u left.

People who are truly at risk should not be this pressed abut using an a document to put them self under the protection of the same damn country that they ran from because your life was at risk.. you may not find any court cases about same but dont worry you or your friend might be the first!!! o_Oo_O:mad:

Reactions: Miraclejj

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
i will just say! yall mad stupid why the hell do you flee from your country if you are so eager to go back or use identification from them??

just get an RTD and travel with that you now when claiming asylum things was not gonna be the same, so if you want to use your passport no one will stop you go right ahead and when you are applying for citizenship and they question you make sure you have good answers and also lets hope you dont get sick when you travel and they check the document you have and ship your ass back to the country u left.

People who are truly at risk should not be this pressed abut using an a document to put them self under the protection of the same damn country that they ran from because your life was at risk.. you may not find any court cases about same but dont worry you or your friend might be the first!!! o_Oo_O:mad:
Don't be mad. We gotta understand that a big chunk of so called refugees are actually economic immigrants that cheated their way to get their PRs. It is the time to request our government to seriously review and refine our refugee programs. Vent, vent and vent more. It isn't about to against the human rights stuff, it is about our integrity, safety and sovereignty.

Reactions: amplua

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Don't be mad. We gotta understand that a big chunk of so called refugees are actually economic immigrants that cheated their way to get their PRs. It is the time to request our government to seriously review and refine our refugee programs. Vent, vent and vent more. It isn't about to against the human rights stuff, it is about our integrity, safety and sovereignty.
You can always contact your MP and tell them your views, as well this coming up October is the General Election. So remember this when your MP comes knocking on your door, looking for your vote, and it is guarantee they will, tell them your views. I know I will.

If you do not know who is your MP, click the link
https://openparliament.ca/

Reactions: Miraclejj

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
all these cases show that they went back to the country they fleed from such as country A. I've read not even one case that says that someone got cessation or stripped from their pr status only because they renewed their passport and went to a country B. Middle eastern countries donot give visas to RTD so thats also an issue!

The only genuine and real problem is IF someone goes back to their homecountry from which they fleed. That is when it becomes a real problem and if you use your home country passport multiple times and for tourism.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
all these cases show that they went back to the country they fleed from such as country A. I've read not even one case that says that someone got cessation or stripped from their pr status only because they renewed their passport and went to a country B. Middle eastern countries donot give visas to RTD so thats also an issue!

The only genuine and real problem is IF someone goes back to their homecountry from which they fleed. That is when it becomes a real problem and if you use your home country passport multiple times and for tourism.
Why would someone USE a countries passport , a country that they’ve supposedly fled because of persecution or fear for their life? You’d think that , that person would never want to have anything to do with that country , including flying under that countries flag
Seriously

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
Why would someone USE a countries passport , a country that they’ve supposedly fled because of persecution or fear for their life? You’d think that , that person would never want to have anything to do with that country , including flying under that countries flag
Seriously
stop taking it in such deep contexts. Like i said, some countries do not accept RTD and some of us have real emergencies to visit those countries some times and the only reason I'm flying UNDER THAT FLAG IS ONLY TO BE ABLE TO ENTER A COUNTRY WHERE RTD DOESNT GET RECOGNISED!

THERES NO DEEPER MEANING TO IT MY FRIEND and I'm pretty sure while someone does not fly on that countrys passport for leisure/tourism and stupid reasons and only does it when ITS ABSOLUTELY NEEDED then CBSA will definitely understand :)

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
Seriously
I've never ever heard or seen anybody getting cessation by just renewing their passport and traveling to a different country from their home country. If you do know or have read such cases please feel free to attach the links so I can get more insight on that as well. Thank you

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
Renewing and travelling on home country passport.....

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii149583/2018canlii149583.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAJQ2Vzc2F0aW9uAAAAAAE&resultIndex=7

Just don’t do it. It’s laid out in the refugee act of the UN that it’s a valid reason to revoke status. Generally not to bright to assume you are exempt, regardless of your reasons.
appreciate your response and concern.

this is what it states in the link you posted.

In the application for cessation dated March 12, 2015, the Minister argued that the respondent voluntarily re-availed herself of the protection of the Nigerian government, first by renewing her Nigerian passport a number of times, and then by travelling on those passports to Nigeria. The Minister provided documentary evidence in support of these allegations, and is seeking the cessation of the respondent’s status as a Convention refugee.

Again, renewing your passport and traveling to another country for a very strong reason since RTD is not accepted is not the same as returning to your home country which you sought protection from.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Obviously you are looking for justification for your use. Spin it anyway you want, but renewing, use of and in particular traveling to your home country are all reasons for vacation of status. The first two on there own are unlikely to bring about revocation, but in combination, particularly with intent to use them, you jeopardize your status. You’ve claimed asylum from your home country. By use of the passport, you are accepting that countries passport once again. Additionally, if you encounter issues, Canada won’t be in a position to help.
You do what you want, no need to attempt to justify it here, but smart money says it’s a risk.

https://www.unhcr.org/419dbce54.pdf

Reactions: ank22

ank22

Star Member
May 24, 2019
Im not justifying anything. I understand the fact what youre saying is to not put any chances or risks to all the sacrifices weve made to come here. But im also saying that some of us do have to take the long road cus RTDS are not accepted in Middle East, if it was, we wouldnt need to use the passport, would we?

Firstly, I've never seen anyone getting revoked of their status because they renewed their passport and traveled on it, the only problem is "NEVER RETURN TO YOUR HOME COUNTRY"!
IF some day they do ask, Cbsa do look at the intent, they do ask for proof and look into it as to why you renewed your passport and travelled to another country and this is okay if someones willing to take the long road cus obviously they would only travel on that passport if its an important reason or else why would anyone want to put risks into their status and take the chance of having it jeapordized? yeah. please do read below

This is what i took out from your booklet which you attached. Please do read this as it explains everything.

re-availament could be established depending on the circumstances, but simple travel on the passport without assistance from the State of origin would not suffice to justify cessation.

Especially in light of the extensive use of carrier sanctions, possession of a passport may be a modern necessity that does not signal a desired link to the State of origin.

Where a refugee travels through third States on the passport of his or her State of origin, it is inherent in the State system that those States implicitly acknowledge the national protection role of the State of origin. This tacit understanding should not suffice to establish re-availment of protection

If the refugee sought and actually received such protection, re-availament could be established depending on the circumstances, but simple travel on the passport without assistance from the State of origin would not suffice to justify cessation.

Concerning re-availment of national protection (generally, the acquisition or renewal of a passport, other contact with diplomatic and consular authorities of the State of origin, or travel to third States on a State of origin passport), the refugee’s conduct will generally be voluntary. The focus should instead be placed upon the refugee’s intent, to determine if he or she has signalled a desire to re-establish a formal link to the State of persecution. The refugee’s ignorance of alternatives (such as asylum State travel documents, possibilities to marry or divorce without resort to State of origin officials, etc.) is relevant to intent.

Paragraphs 121–2 of the Handbook suggest that conduct such as acquisition or renewal of a State of origin passport creates a presumption of intent to re-avail oneself of national protection. This phrasing is unfortunate, as it may suggest that the burden of proof concerning the inapplicability of cessation is on the refugee. Rather, since conduct and conditions are so frequently ambiguous or uncertain, refugees should be given the benefit of the doubt in cessation matters.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As I said, the first two, renewal and travel on their own are unlikely to trigger a review. But together, they increase the risk.