+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugees travelling using their national passports

hattabfj

Jun 20, 2016
Hello,

We've seen many cases in the courts for refugees because they have traveled to their home country.

My question is, is there cases in the courts for refugees because only they have traveled using their nation passports (to third country)?

Please let me know ..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - this can happen in cases where someone renewed their nation passport after becoming a refugee in Canada.

hattabfj

Jun 20, 2016
scylla said:
Yes - this can happen in cases where someone renewed their nation passport after becoming a refugee in Canada.
True, but I'm talking about travelling using the national passport only. This is not recommended for refugees. But is there any case discussed in the court for this reason only?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hattabfj said:
True, but I'm talking about travelling using the national passport only. This is not recommended for refugees. But is there any case discussed in the court for this reason only?
1. Search on "Refugee + national passport + travel" at http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/index.html

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hattabfj said:
Thanks ..
I didn't find any case as per my above question ..
1, Then try "cease refugee protection" (without quotes) at http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/index.html

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The reason why this can lead to the rejection is following.

Your passport has not only identification function (to identify who you are). It has also protection function.
That is, that the country that has issued that document carries responsibility to protect and help the holder of the passport should anything happen.
Now you claim refuge from your country, in which you state, that your country is not capable to protect you and help you in case of need.

With that said, the last thing you want to do is to come under situation when you are asking the service of protection from the very same country which is failing to do that.

As act of passing the borders and showing your passport (or other ID document that is recognised), is not just to identify who you are but also to acknowledge that you belong under protection of the country where your passport was issued.

That is the reason why you can get easily rejected even if travelling to the 3rd countries while using your original passport.

Same thing is valid when you request your original embassy to issue you new passport.

Reactions: jerrymsigwa

hattabfj

Jun 20, 2016
vensak said:
The reason why this can lead to the rejection is following.

Your passport has not only identification function (to identify who you are). It has also protection function.
That is, that the country that has issued that document carries responsibility to protect and help the holder of the passport should anything happen.
Now you claim refuge from your country, in which you state, that your country is not capable to protect you and help you in case of need.

With that said, the last thing you want to do is to come under situation when you are asking the service of protection from the very same country which is failing to do that.

As act of passing the borders and showing your passport (or other ID document that is recognised), is not just to identify who you are but also to acknowledge that you belong under protection of the country where your passport was issued.

That is the reason why you can get easily rejected even if travelling to the 3rd countries while using your original passport.

Same thing is valid when you request your original embassy to issue you new passport.
I totally agree with you.

But I didn't find any file rejected or ceased because of travelling using national passport. Still I'm searching.

James Habib

Jan 23, 2019
I totally agree with you.

But I didn't find any file rejected or ceased because of travelling using national passport. Still I'm searching.
Good day hattabfj,

I wonder whether you have found anything that would confirm whether using national passport to travel to a 3rd country will affect or potentially result in the cessation of refugee status? thank you.

TIGER123

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
DO NOT TRAVEL TO ANYWHERE USING YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN's PASSPORT. REGARDLESS OF YOUR SITUATION IS...

If you do not understand it, read my sentence over and over again. NO BARGAINING AT THE BORDER. CBSA WILL FILE CESSATION OR RE-AVAILEMENT.

IF YOU ARE A CONVENTION REFUGEE, DO NOT EVER THINK TO USE YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN'S PASSPORT!! APPLY FOR REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT...

Reactions: live&love

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
DO NOT TRAVEL TO ANYWHERE USING YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN's PASSPORT. REGARDLESS OF YOUR SITUATION IS...

If you do not understand it, read my sentence over and over again. NO BARGAINING AT THE BORDER. CBSA WILL FILE CESSATION OR RE-AVAILEMENT.

IF YOU ARE A CONVENTION REFUGEE, DO NOT EVER THINK TO USE YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN'S PASSPORT!! APPLY FOR REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT...
Thanks for reply, my friend is also in similar situation as the OP. However, he already got his PR after being a protected person for almost 5 years in Canada. (He is not a Canadian citizen yet). My question is, if he is already granted PR, can he still travel to his home country using his passport?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for reply, my friend is also in similar situation as the OP. However, he already got his PR after being a protected person for almost 5 years in Canada. (He is not a Canadian citizen yet). My question is, if he is already granted PR, can he still travel to his home country using his passport?
Please try not to post the same question multiple times. No he can’t use his Syrian passprt to travel.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Please clarify, would this “home country “, be the country he fled from ? The country he was fleeing persecution? The one where he felt his life was at risk ?