+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee visit homeland after citizenship

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
OP's handle suggests he's north African.
Can't speak for Libya, a country that hasn't been stable for a long time, but I have a hard time imagining, say, Tunisia or Morocco emprisoning a Canadian citizen and risking a diplomatic row over it and a condemnation from Canada's allies (US, UE...). Doesn't seem worth it.
It should be taken with a grain of salt, but the passport should provide "some" protection from the state.
The reaction of the population may be a different story, but I suppose OP is already well aware of that already.
First off i am impressed that you know my country of origin lol . And yes the most likely threats towards me will come from the overall population whom are religious . And do not give a damn whether i am canadian or not . For them you are still a local no matter what.on the other hand I can be freely gay right now when it comes to the state and its laws,regulations against the lgbtq community as i hold a Canadian passport. I am surprise that you know much about it maybr because you are a lawyer or you visited there .
There are neighborhoods filled with gay people mostly foreigners and the state would never bother nor assaulting them since it is part of the tourism sector and bring money with them.as you said now as s canadian they would think twice before persecuting me .
I give you a big up for having such knowledge about north africa
You made my day

Reactions: armoured and Seym

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thanks buddy you are rigjt in this case it is better to stick to Canadian passport although i do kot even have the passport of my country of origin and never used it since i came to canada.
Understand your situation, take care of yourself and your mum.

I do warn, though - again in some countries the penalty for not entering on your 'national' passport can be very problematic, but again, I've no relevant knowledge of the specific country.

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Understand your situation, take care of yourself and your mum.

I do warn, though - again in some countries the penalty for not entering on your 'national' passport can be very problematic, but again, I've no relevant knowledge of the specific country.
Thanks for your kind words bud. Take care of yourself too have a good one

Reactions: armoured

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
OP's handle suggests he's north African.
Can't speak for Libya, a country that hasn't been stable for a long time, but I have a hard time imagining, say, Tunisia or Morocco emprisoning a Canadian citizen and risking a diplomatic row over it and a condemnation from Canada's allies (US, UE...). Doesn't seem worth it.
It should be taken with a grain of salt, but the passport should provide "some" protection from the state.
The reaction of the population may be a different story, but I suppose OP is already well aware of that already.
I wish your mom all the best in health where possible, I would advise you to keep in touch with the Canadian consulate at all times during the trip… and be safe is my only advice now

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
I wish your mom all the best in health where possible, I would advise you to keep in touch with the Canadian consulate at all times during the trip… and be safe is my only advice now
Your kind words go straight to my heart. The same goes to your relatives i wish them goof health long live and to you too !