+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee visit homeland after citizenship

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hello all i was granted citizenship last year . I came as a refugee several years ago and turned citizen although Since i came i never returned there . I have an emergency and need to return there without risking my citizenship. I’ve been reading through forum but cant really find an answer . Some say yes and others no It really freaks me out . I wish someone competent cojld answer me
Thanks in advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello all i was granted citizenship last year . I came as a refugee several years ago and turned citizen although Since i came i never returned there . I have an emergency and need to return there without risking my citizenship. I’ve been reading through forum but cant really find an answer . Some say yes and others no It really freaks me out . I wish someone competent cojld answer me
Thanks in advance
Who says that a Canadian citizen who was formerly a refugee is putting their Canadian citizenship at risk by traveling to their home country?

Under current law (law which is very unlikely to be changed for the foreseeable future), the only way to lose Canadian citizenship is revocation for misrepresentation. So, as long you never made any misrepresentations in the process of obtaining status in Canada, your citizenship is not at risk.

That is, even though a Canadian citizen was formerly a refugee (before becoming a citizen), whose status as a PR would be at risk for termination if they traveled to the home country, once they are a Canadian citizen the fact they travel to the home country does not pose any risk to their citizenship status.

There may be all sorts of other risks, particularly if the conditions leading to flight from that country and obtaining refugee protections still exist.

There are many anecdotal reports (and complaints) from former refugees (now Canadian citizens) facing elevated scrutiny at the Port-of-Entry when they return to Canada after traveling abroad, especially those who have traveled to their home country. That can be about a wide range of things, ranging from verification of identity to security screening related to the particular country visited. Those who have legitimately obtained their citizenship and are not involved in any criminality or security threats have nothing to worry about . . . any returning citizen might be subject to such screening.

Elevated screening at the PoE when returning to Canada could also be related to screening for indications of fraud, for evidence the individual made misrepresentations in obtaining their Canadian status. An example sometimes seen (not so frequent as to say it is common, but perhaps it is fair to say this is not uncommon) is a former refugee whose flight from their home country was based on fears and dangers they faced because of their homosexuality in that country, but then after becoming a Canadian citizen they return to the home country to engage in heterosexual marriage, suggesting they may have misrepresented the facts about who they are and what reasons they had for seeking refugee status.

BUT just traveling to the home country, that alone will NOT risk the former refugee's status as a Canadian citizen.

Reactions: forw.jane

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Who says that a Canadian citizen who was formerly a refugee is putting their Canadian citizenship at risk by traveling to their home country?

Under current law (law which is very unlikely to be changed for the foreseeable future), the only way to lose Canadian citizenship is revocation for misrepresentation. So, as long you never made any misrepresentations in the process of obtaining status in Canada, your citizenship is not at risk.

That is, even though a Canadian citizen was formerly a refugee (before becoming a citizen), whose status as a PR would be at risk for termination if they traveled to the home country, once they are a Canadian citizen the fact they travel to the home country does not pose any risk to their citizenship status.

There may be all sorts of other risks, particularly if the conditions leading to flight from that country and obtaining refugee protections still exist.

There are many anecdotal reports (and complaints) from former refugees (now Canadian citizens) facing elevated scrutiny at the Port-of-Entry when they return to Canada after traveling abroad, especially those who have traveled to their home country. That can be about a wide range of things, ranging from verification of identity to security screening related to the particular country visited. Those who have legitimately obtained their citizenship and are not involved in any criminality or security threats have nothing to worry about . . . any returning citizen might be subject to such screening.

Elevated screening at the PoE when returning to Canada could also be related to screening for indications of fraud, for evidence the individual made misrepresentations in obtaining their Canadian status. An example sometimes seen (not so frequent as to say it is common, but perhaps it is fair to say this is not uncommon) is a former refugee whose flight from their home country was based on fears and dangers they faced because of their homosexuality in that country, but then after becoming a Canadian citizen they return to the home country to engage in heterosexual marriage, suggesting they may have misrepresented the facts about who they are and what reasons they had for seeking refugee status.

BUT just traveling to the home country, that alone will NOT risk the former refugee's status as a Canadian citizen.
Thank you so much for your detailef answer i really appreciate that you’ve taken all the time to enlighten me . My case is genuine i am a gay person who is living my homosexuality openly here in canada . I’ve had a lot of relationships and friendships with gays and i am not in the closet.
i am even supporting new gay comers so i am known to be out of closet .
if i would go back there due to see elderny sick relatives and such other reasons i would still live my life as a gay person. Of course i will be very careful since i am used to be openly gah here as i stated above i will just do my best to be discreet.
my whole family knows about my sexual orientation and we just avoid talking about that because of my islamic background.
i am not into females and i never had any relationship with them. I guess i would be safe upon return . Thanks again

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you so much for your detailef answer i really appreciate that you’ve taken all the time to enlighten me . My case is genuine i am a gay person who is living my homosexuality openly here in canada . I’ve had a lot of relationships and friendships with gays and i am not in the closet.
i am even supporting new gay comers so i am known to be out of closet .
if i would go back there due to see elderny sick relatives and such other reasons i would still live my life as a gay person. Of course i will be very careful since i am used to be openly gah here as i stated above i will just do my best to be discreet.
my whole family knows about my sexual orientation and we just avoid talking about that because of my islamic background.
i am not into females and i never had any relationship with them. I guess i would be safe upon return . Thanks again
I am not sure where you going but think twice before going to a place where homosexuality could lead to prison or even death sentence.
I hope your home country is not like that.

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
I am not sure where you going but think twice before going to a place where homosexuality could lead to prison or even death sentence.
I hope your home country is not like that.
Thanks for your advice. Indeed homosexuality is not allowed in my home country however since it is a touristic country they are very tolerant with foreigners. Now that i have a canadian citizenship i am less in danger in case i am arrested i know that for sure . But for locals its not allowed and you would be sentenced to prison unfortunately.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for your advice. Indeed homosexuality is not allowed in my home country however since it is a touristic country they are very tolerant with foreigners. Now that i have a canadian citizenship i am less in danger in case i am arrested i know that for sure . But for locals its not allowed and you would be sentenced to prison unfortunately.
To be honest, your Canadian citizenship won't help much. Gay is gay, no matter your citizenship, you are not a foreigner in your own country of birth. Just saying.. you fled for a reason, I would never go back to a place that forced me out.

Reactions: tomlee1986

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
To be honest, your Canadian citizenship won't help much. Gay is gay, no matter your citizenship, you are not a foreigner in your own country of birth. Just saying.. you fled for a reason, I would never go back to a place that forced me out.
I tend to agree with this comment, and your former country where you fled from, you might still have nationality there (dual citizenship) - they can detain you as their own national, and Canada can NOT help you if detained in own country of citizenship… my advice is STRONGLY NOT recommend travelling to the former home country!

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree with tomlee1986. Having Canadian citizenship doesn't mean your home country will see you as a foreigner. They can still detain you as local. And once that's done, there is not much Canada can do. Some countries even detain Canadian citizens and trial and sentence them. There are Canadian citizens in jail in a foreign country. And there is little that the government of Canada can do.

Reactions: tomlee1986

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Agree with tomlee1986. Having Canadian citizenship doesn't mean your home country will see you as a foreigner. They can still detain you as local. And once that's done, there is not much Canada can do. Some countries even detain Canadian citizens and trial and sentence them. There are Canadian citizens in jail in a foreign country. And there is little that the government of Canada can do.
I know for example even in HK, it’s happening already… we all know HK is a world known city, it’s detaining people and NOT allowing consulate access!

this is from Reuters in 2021 about Canadian citizens detained in HK refused consular assistance because of 2019 protests!!! If it can be done in HK, I can almost safely say your country is worse!

https://www.reuters.com/article/hongkong-security-consulates-idINKBN2A40UE/

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Yes unfortunately it is not possible to renounce my citizenship of country of birth which makes me dual citizen however they just consider it and value you after checking you have a foreign citizenship especially from a great country such as Canada . As mentioned above i have understood your comment along with others the risk is coming from my country of origin rather than canada . If so yes i would be more at risk especially by the people who are greatly practicing muslims . My best bet is to be discreet as a masculine gay person
Thanks for your inputs though

Last edited:

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
If i understand it is legal to fly to my country however the risks i would encounter is from my country due to my sexual orientation . If so yes you are right. Thanks for your input
If i understand it is legal to fly to my country however the risks i would encounter is from my country due to my sexual orientation . If so yes you are right. Thanks for your input

Reactions: armoured and YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, as a Canadian, you're free to leave Canada and will be allowed to return to Canada.

As noted, the risks are in the other country, esp if you retain citizenship (Canada may not even be allowed to provide consular assistance).

Apart from the warnings above, I'd note: in many countries, you MUST enter 'as a citizen' (either presenting passport or otherwise showing citizenship) if you still have that citizenship. So that can raise the level of risk.

The rest can be quite country dependent so up to you to get informed and make your decisions. Good luck.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
OP's handle suggests he's north African.
Can't speak for Libya, a country that hasn't been stable for a long time, but I have a hard time imagining, say, Tunisia or Morocco emprisoning a Canadian citizen and risking a diplomatic row over it and a condemnation from Canada's allies (US, UE...). Doesn't seem worth it.
It should be taken with a grain of salt, but the passport should provide "some" protection from the state.
The reaction of the population may be a different story, but I suppose OP is already well aware of that already.

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Yes, as a Canadian, you're free to leave Canada and will be allowed to return to Canada.

As noted, the risks are in the other country, esp if you retain citizenship (Canada may not even be allowed to provide consular assistance).

Apart from the warnings above, I'd note: in many countries, you MUST enter 'as a citizen' (either presenting passport or otherwise showing citizenship) if you still have that citizenship. So that can raise the level of risk.

The rest can be quite country dependent so up to you to get informed and make your decisions. Good luck.
Thanks bud . I will rather stick to my canadian citizenship.

thanks buddy you are right in this case it is better to stick to Canadian passport although i do not even have the passport of my country of origin and never used it since i came to canada. I have no ties to my country anymore. I can be myself here , like western values ,no more need to live my homosexuality in hiding or being discreet and hypocrite. My visit is merely due to my elderly mom who is sick and is unable to visit me here due to financial issues . We may die soon who knows who is first but it is a responsibility to take care of her . I bet you feel me
Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured