Refugee / TRV dilemma

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi:

Posting on behalf of a friend!

“Please help me with my dilemma:

I’m a protected person from Yemen, my refugee claim was approved, and when I applied for PR I included my wife and kids as well.

My wife is Saudi citizen and we would need to travel to Saudi Arabia for family funeral. My wife is on visitor record which will expire Feb 28, 2019. She has already applied to renew it and we’re still waiting for an answer.

For some strange reason she wasn’t able to apply for TRV from inside Canada as that option wasn’t available when you login online to IRCC. Plus the processing time is way too long for the Visitor Record renewal.

My concerns are:

If we travel, can she apply for TRV from Saudi Arabia? chances?

Will this travel affect our PR application? which already in process (sent medical / fingerprint and Husband is the main applicant through Refugee)

What is the worst case scenario if she’s not granted TRV from Saudi Arabia?

Can we included the PR application number/info when applying for the TRV?

Thank you all in advance,

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi:

Posting on behalf of a friend!

“Please help me with my dilemma:

I’m a protected person from Yemen, my refugee claim was approved, and when I applied for PR I included my wife and kids as well.

My wife is Saudi citizen and we would need to travel to Saudi Arabia for family funeral. My wife is on visitor record which will expire Feb 28, 2019. She has already applied to renew it and we’re still waiting for an answer.

For some strange reason she wasn’t able to apply for TRV from inside Canada as that option wasn’t available when you login online to IRCC. Plus the processing time is way too long for the Visitor Record renewal.

My concerns are:

If we travel, can she apply for TRV from Saudi Arabia? chances?

Will this travel affect our PR application? which already in process (sent medical / fingerprint and Husband is the main applicant through Refugee)

What is the worst case scenario if she’s not granted TRV from Saudi Arabia?

Can we included the PR application number/info when applying for the TRV?

Thank you all in advance,
This is indeed a bit of a dilemma.

First of, I'm sorry for your loss and may their soul rest in piece.

Your wife can indeed apply for a TRV online while in Saudi Arabia, whether she will get approved for one is another story. I believe it might be challenging to get approved for one.
The travel will not affect your PR application, but might really affect your wife's application. Technically, if your wife left and was not able to re-enter Canada, then her application might be considered abandoned or you might have to withdraw the application and apply for her as an outland applicant. Please check this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28
I am not really sure how this applies to spouses of protected persons, maybe another member more familiar with this can clarify this for you. Or even better, call IRCC and double check with them.
Also, you don't have to include the PR application number when applying for TRV as the immigration officer will be able to see it on your wife's file.

Good Luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just want to point out that I believe your wife is likely currently applying for visitor extension not a new TRV. Once she leaves the extension is cancelled.

Reactions: andy.keeling

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just want to point out that I believe your wife is likely currently applying for visitor extension not a new TRV. Once she leaves the extension is cancelled.
Yes she did apply for visitor extension, but also want the TRV in order to legally re-enter.