+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee - Travel and sponsor inquiry

Yellowbee

Oct 11, 2022
Hello all,

I got my permanent residence in March 2023 as a refugee claimant. I am still waiting for PR card. I have a query about travelling back to my home country. Can a refugee claimant ever travel back to their country? Also, can we marry someone from our home country and sponsor the spouse?

Any answer is much appreciated!

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hello all,

I got my permanent residence in March 2023 as a refugee claimant. I am still waiting for PR card. I have a query about travelling back to my home country. Can a refugee claimant ever travel back to their country? Also, can we marry someone from our home country and sponsor the spouse?

unfortunately, you cannot travel to your home country. If you do, your case will be treated as a cessation of protection. This means that in situations when a person who was conferred Canadian refugee status no longer needs that protection or where that protection is no longer justified. You can only visit your home country when you have your Canadian citizenship.

Also, you can marry someone from your home country and sponsor them. I think you’ll only have to marry them in another country since you cannot visit your home country at the moment.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx#:~:text=The “cessation” provisions of the,protection is no longer justified.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

Agreed with the above response. You cannot travel to your home country as a PR. You will have to wait until citizenship.

Also agreed that you can marry someone from your home country and sponsor them for PR. However since you cannot travel to your home country, you would need to meet up with this individual and get married in a third country.

Reactions: Naturgrl

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Hello all,

Pls share your pr timeline ?