+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hey everyone
Just a quick update. I still haven't received any communication from IRCC since my interview and test in February 2019. 2 years and 3 months.
I really have no idea what they are investigating. The only update I got through my MP in November was that security and criminal checks were done and it was only immigration(residence) pending.

Brief recap: at my interview, I was grilled about my travel back home as a refugee. The CO took notes and all and said I would hear from them soon.to date nothing. How would one explain that
Without looking back, other than continuing in a wait-and-see mode, the recent discussion may indeed indicate prudence favours proactively engaging a lawyer, learning what a lawyer can say about these things, and getting prepared IN CASE.

I believe it has been said in response to your queries before, but it is worth repeating and emphasizing, as @canuck78 suggests, above all NO further travel to the home country and NO use of the home country passport.

The scarcity of reporting about this subject makes it very difficult to glean what is actually happening. We just plain do not know this government's approach to these situations.

The absence of further action seemed, before, to encourage some optimism. The recent reporting here by @XoticMtl tempers that some.

BUT . . . it is very likely, and this is along the lines of what I think @canuck78 also refers to, that the particular details in the individual case can make the difference. How often. For how long. In what circumstances.

That is, there has been enough reporting to suggest that NOT every refugee-PR who has obtained a home country passport and traveled to the home country has been subject to a CBSA cessation proceeding. The reporting here by @XoticMtl illustrates, nonetheless, that CBSA is pursuing cessation for some refugees who otherwise would qualify for citizenship . . . and while the Canada v. Sharafaldin, 2021 FC 22 https://canlii.ca/t/jcftr case, I referenced above, clearly has some collateral issues and what may be unique elements (others are not nearly so likely to obtain a stay of the cessation proceedings pending the outcome of the citizenship application), that case too illustrates the side that the government is taking . . . At Least In Some Cases. Which ones? Hard to even make a wild guess.

Other factors may influence the approach the government takes in a particular individual's case, but it seems very likely that the number and frequency of trips to the home country, the length of stay in the home country, loom large . . . we just have no idea, zero idea actually, what correlates to what.

One can further speculate about whether things like engaging in work or a business in the home country has some influence, activities which might suggest reestablishing formal ties in the home country. But of course these sorts of things would likely correlate with longer or more frequent stays in the home country as well.

For now, either Lawyer-Up or continue to keep your head low while watching for further news.

XoticMtl

Apr 27, 2021
Hi
Have a question plz,
As I mentioned that CBSA has made an application for ceasing under Sec 1 (a) , the ecase status for my citizenship application still shows In Process. even today...
when I ask the call center I am told that there is nothing on their record against me.
I want to ask that if its been 5 years since my Citizenship test and interview and for 5 years I am told that there is noting against my application....is this not abuse of the system by CIC to keep me in dark when in fact they have referred my case to CBSA.. by neither suspending my application nor informing me of any adverse action.....
need opinion plz.
Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi
Have a question plz,
As I mentioned that CBSA has made an application for ceasing under Sec 1 (a) , the ecase status for my citizenship application still shows In Process. even today...
when I ask the call center I am told that there is nothing on their record against me.
I want to ask that if its been 5 years since my Citizenship test and interview and for 5 years I am told that there is noting against my application....is this not abuse of the system by CIC to keep me in dark when in fact they have referred my case to CBSA.. by neither suspending my application nor informing me of any adverse action.....
need opinion plz.
Thanks
WTH? Its been 5 years since you took the citizenship test? This is just bizarre. Have you tried contacting your MP for assistance? Have you applied GCMS notes to see what's going on with your application?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi
Have a question plz,
need opinion plz.
Thanks
As I have responded to your earlier queries regarding your situation:

LAWYER-UP. LAWYER-UP. LAWYER-UP.
We can offer observations and comments in regards to the questions you are asking, but you REALLY, REALLY NEED to be ASKING a LAWYER. And by that I mean one of those lawyers who is already engaged in these kinds of cases.
Now that CBSA has initiated the process to pursue at least an investigation into cessation, there is little or no prospect that your citizenship application will progress, not toward a grant of citizenship anyway, UNLESS and UNTIL the CBSA investigation concludes in your favour.

My sense, back in April, was that you were in the process of lawyering-up, or otherwise would soon be getting a lawyer.

GCMS notes will not reveal anything you do not already know. GCMS will not, not at this stage, offer any information you can use to advance your cause.

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to figure out HOW to help your cause, how to best address this situation, without a lawyer's help. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you should pursue every avenue you possibly can to seek out legal assistance for someone who cannot afford a lawyer. Or pursue some fund-raising approach to paying for a lawyer. YOU NEED a LAWYER. And, frankly, a good one.

Whether or not there is recourse if you have encountered an abuse of procedural fairness in processing (or in not-processing) your citizenship application, how to go about addressing that now, with the cessation question looming, is at best a tricky question. You might find an ally in your MP, but the odds of that being anywhere near enough are small compared to the overwhelming need to be represented by a competent legal professional. You need more than just advice from a lawyer. You need actual representation.

I confess, I am dodging the "is this an abuse" question. I am afraid it does not matter if it is. At least not in terms of processing the citizenship application. After all, pursuing an application for a Writ of Mandamus premised on this risks inducing CBSA to accelerate the cessation process or IRCC formally suspending the application under Section 13.1 of the Citizenship Act, with no more than an outside chance that at this stage IRCC would respond by proceeding to grant citizenship.

As I and others have noted from the beginning of this topic, otherwise the statutory scheme itself (dating back to the statutory amendment adopted by the Harper government in 2012) is known to be prone to having severely unfair results inflicting a miscarriage of justice. The only limit appears to be the exercise of discretion by the Minister of Public Safety to decline pursuing cessation even where there are grounds for cessation. I have no idea how one goes about influencing CBSA to go in that direction. My sense is the help of a MP is not enough. So, again, damn the lawyers but you need one, a damn good one.

My heart aches for the pain of this, and for the uncertainty looming over your life due to this.

XoticMtl

Apr 27, 2021
Thanks Dpenabill

If anyone knows such a legal aid lawyer in Toronto area who is experienced in such cases, please let me know.

newbie901

Aug 23, 2021
HAS ANYBODY SEEN THE LATEST STATICS?!
The Liberal government hasn't stopped pursuing cessation cases and there are more cases open today as well as the past three years than there were during the harpers time.

Cessation applications (s. 108(2) of the IRPA)
Cessation applicationsFinalizedPending
AllowedDismissedAbandonedWithdrawn & OtherTotal
2021 (January to March)
124​
60​
--​
--​
--​
68​
858​
399​
227​
--​
--​
--​
238​
819​
443​
168​
--​
--​
--​
190​
658​

Newlife15

Feb 6, 2019
Has anyone been issued cessation order just for passport renewal ( no travel on the passport )
I suppose that travel puts you directly into the radar of CBSA vs a renewal which could be a mistake or no proper guidance from your council.
Please advise .
Is it worth contacting a lawyer for just passport renewal and no travel.
In my case a valid passport was required to compete legal formalities related to property and ongoing litigation in my country and passport was obtained from a agency and not by visiting the embassy directly.
I had also written to ircc to release my passport after getting PR ,however they delayed the release and got it a day before the passport expired hence had to renew it .
The legal documentation was important since my family would be under a dark cloud otherwise in absence of my statement .this statement has to be notarized by the embassy without which it is considered inadmissible in my country.

Last edited:

rousseau

Jun 27, 2019
Hi All,

I want to share my story about citizenship application delays, to get advice and to help another applicant. I applied in June 2019 from Montreal and I've not been invited for a citizenship test as of August 12, 2021. I contacted IRCC several times through the web form, and order numerous GCMS notes.

I obtained my PR status through the Protected Person Program.
I never travelled outside Canada. I never renew my expired passport. I never did anything that could have been perceived as REVAILMENT.
The last time I visited my home country was 3 years before I came to Canada. I've been in Canada since 2014. I'm married to a Canadian citizen and have 2 kids who are Canadian citizens.

Ultimately I contacted my MP and here is the response she got from IRCC :

• The application (XXXX) was received at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney (CPC-S), Nova Scotia, on July X, 2019.
  • The application was considered complete and an acknowledgement letter was sent to the applicant on September 6, 2019.
    • If he has not received this letter and is between the ages of 18 to 54, he can find the guide here.
  • The application is considered non-routine due to the following reason:
    • The file is under review because it requires further verifications; rest assured that the responsible office will inform the applicant if he has to provide further details.
  • We recommend that the applicant verifies the e-Client Application Status (e-CAS) online tool regularly to check the status of his application.
  • The criminality verifications are currently valid.
  • The security verifications are currently valid.
  • The immigration verifications have not been initiated.
  • Due to COVID-19, IRCC is experiencing processing delays and we can’t provide you with accurate processing times for this application. Rest assured that we understand how important this process is for the applicant and are making all the necessary efforts to finalize the application as soon as possible.
    • Should the applicant need to travel using a commercial carrier during this time, he should ensure he holds a valid permanent resident card
I was fed up due to the exaggerated processing time so I lawyer it up. My lawyer is now seeking an order of mandamus to compel the minister to process my application.

I applied for leave and judicial review because :

a) In a recent case, the federal court rejected the COVID argument. See, Almuhtadi v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration)

b) The delay in question has been longer than the nature of the process required, prima facie ( the IRCC mentioning 12 months processing time before COVID ), it has been 26 months if the registrar follows the regulation, I would've been a citizen by now, again COVID is no longer an excuse.

c ) I am not responsible for the delay.

d) IRCC did not provide any satisfactory justification.

Can anybody help me understand why IRCC is not initiating immigration verification even after 25 months of processing?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Has anyone been issued cessation order just for passport renewal ( no travel on the passport )
I suppose that travel puts you directly into the radar of CBSA vs a renewal which could be a mistake or no proper guidance from your council.
Please advise .
Is it worth contacting a lawyer for just passport renewal and no travel.
In my case a valid passport was required to compete legal formalities related to property and ongoing litigation in my country and passport was obtained from a agency and not by visiting the embassy directly.
I had also written to ircc to release my passport after getting PR ,however they delayed the release and got it a day before the passport expired hence had to renew it .
The legal documentation was important since my family would be under a dark cloud otherwise in absence of my statement .this statement has to be notarized by the embassy without which it is considered inadmissible in my country.
I have not seen any reports of cessation against a PR-refugee (I have not looked for reports of cessation against non-PR refugees or claimants) based solely on the individual acquiring or renewing a home country passport, which includes not seeing this in the official accounts of cases reflected in published judicial opinions.

Moreover, a necessary element in grounds for cessation is that the action by the refugee must be "voluntary" and the explanation you describe for renewing the passport tends to show the renewal was not voluntary but compelled by circumstances.

The problem is that renewing a home country passport creates a PRESUMPTION of reavailment. So once you have done that, the burden shifts to you to prove it was not voluntary. Not using the passport for any purpose other than what you describe as the reason for renewing it seems like a pretty strong case in your favour. But I am no lawyer. I am NO expert. And I know enough to fear presumptions.

The calculus is complicated. It does not appear the current government is aggressively pursuing cessation UNLESS there is a more or less obvious case, perhaps only in relatively egregious cases (involving repeated or lengthy stays in the home country). But we do not really know. Reports are too few to draw firm conclusions.

In the meantime, there are reports the Conservatives are leading in the polls. Cessation against PRs is their baby. So the policies and practices of the current government might be irrelevant. Difficult enough to forecast the election outcome. Another layer of difficulty forecasting what changes a Conservative government might implement, except there is little doubt about the general trend to be more strict and make things more difficult for refugee-immigrants.

Generally I encourage consultation with a lawyer. In regards to an issue like this, however, particularly at this stage of an election, I am not sure a lawyer has access to a less cloudy crystal ball. Not sure a lawyer can adequately assure you it will be OK.

Overall, my guess, but it is largely a GUESS, is that you will be OK. Even if by October there is a Conservative government in Ottawa. FWIW. FWGIW (For What Guessing Is Worth).

Canada offers many in need a refuge but that does not mean it makes it all that easy. Sorry I could not help more.

The Liberal government hasn't stopped pursuing cessation cases and there are more cases open today as well as the past three years than there were during the harpers time.
Would be helpful to provide a link or at least a citation to the source for statistics.

Note too that there is a big difference between the number of open cases, which will accumulate (increase) unless CBSA is processing the open cases and resolving more than they intake.

But of course the most important statistic is the number of cases resolved by actual cessation. Moreover, this information is not of much use unless it is further broken down so we could see how many of cessation cases and actual cessation outcomes there are for Permanent Residents, separate and apart from the numbers for refugees and protected persons without PR status, and separate and apart from the numbers for claimants.

This particular topic is focused on cessation that affects PRs (thus those who otherwise are or who may become eligible for citizenship).

The chart you posted does not illuminate much at all.

In regards to the number of open cases, it appears a large percentage of the open cases were initiated many years ago, a substantial number opened during the Harper government and for a larger number the commencement of the investigation leading to opening a case. Which of course, again, accumulates and is added to, as the years go by, by newly opened investigations and cases. That is, the legacy of opened cases is a big contributing factor, if not the primary cause, for the increased number of open cases now compared to previous years.

But this highlights one of the more problematic and tending to be unfair aspects of the cessation provisions and their application, in that both investigations and the process itself can be very lengthy, hanging over a refugee's head for many years without resolution, leaving the refugee in limbo as to status in Canada, with no reliable view of the future.

OBSERVATON:

The cessation process itself is NOT inherently either unfair or unjust. At least it is no more unfair or unjust that the PR Residency Obligation. Moreover, it has been part of the rules governing refugees all over the world for decades.

But as it is applied, oh it can be brutally unjust.

And the manner in which the law was changed (2012 under Harper-Conservative government), applying it retroactively, was especially unfair and unjust: refugees who had become Permanent Residents who relied on the difference it made to be a PR, and the rules governing PRs (cessation did not apply once a refugee became a PR . . . not until 2012), who had traveled to their home country . . . be that to settle affairs, visit ill or dying family, among other compelling reasons why some may risk temporarily visiting a country they have fled . . . traveled to their home country when there was nothing in the law or rules to so much as suggest they could lose their PR status for doing that. Then years later the Conservatives changed the law, applying it retroactively, and started bringing cessation actions against PRs who could NOT have known that a trip home could cost them PR.

The situation has been changing since then in large part because the rules have been in place long enough (nearly nine years now) refugees should be aware of the consequences for obtaining a home country passport or traveling to the home country, and especially both. Newly opened cessation cases are far less likely to be targeting individuals for whom it was OK to go home, at the time they did, like the Conservative government did.

I generally steer wide of taking sides on issues, trying to stay focused on the way it is, but I feel that if Canada grants someone Permanent Resident status that should be permanent, subject to termination only for the same reasons, under the same rules that any other PR could lose PR status, like inadmissibility for breach of the RO, criminality, security, or renunciation.

And apart from that, another big problem is the absence of clear messaging. This includes warnings or cautions to individuals who are going through the process, and more so for those granted status. IRCC publicizes rather scant and not easily accessed information about cessation. Which too often amounts to creating a trap for the unsuspecting.

In any event, a link to the source of the statistics would be appreciated.

SheikhAhmed

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
Hi guys! I have been lurking around here for a while now and finally decided to post my case up here. I became a convention refugee of Canada in 2014 through a private sponsorship (CRS - Convention refugee abroad, sponsored by a SAH) along with my wife and 3 daughters. The primary applicant was my wife. Now we had no idea what this whole cessation thing even was, really just assumed that those who are PR enjoy the same benefits as citizens and also because people who came to Canada under the same program as us had made trips back home literally 15 days after landing and today they are citizens. We had to delay our citizenship applications at first due to language reasons and then financial. Coming back to the point, unknown to this whole cessation thing, we had to make 2 emergency trips back home. One in 2018 for about 28 days(bad news- we renewed our passports this year too! again we were never made aware of anything against this, neither by any Canadian authority neither the SAH that sponsored us) and one this year, for which my wife and younger daughter came back within 2 months (this was also delayed up to 2 months because of flight cancellations due to covid) while me and my other 2 daughters had to stay back waiting for our travel documents as our pr renewal applications were returned earlier this year and had to resend. When my wife and daughter came back they easily passed everything and since they were travelling on PR weren't referred to immigration. When we came back earlier this month and since we were travelling on our national passport, yes you guessed it right, we were sent to the immigration room where the officer after looking through our passport and expired pr cards began to question us. First question being that how did we come to Canada in the first place. I told her "through refugee immigration" but at that time didn't get to tell her about the kind of refugee application and that I wasn't the main applicant. After that, she asked us whether we still feared for our life and we said yes. Then she asked us the purpose of the trip and told us that how we shouldn’t be travelling back home and also not have the passport on us. Then she sent us to sit, our documents were still with her and I am not sure if she made copies of the passport or the PR but she called us back 5-8 minutes later and told us that she will be putting in a report and also asked for our boarding passes to copy. Once she came back I asked her what the next step should be, she said there may not be any next step and if there is we will be contacted. I asked what is the worst case scenario and she said worst case scenario you lose your status and that was it. Said thanks and she let us go. Now I have a few questions:

1. Since my wife was the primary applicant and not us we are not considered refugees in our own right? I want to refer back to the 2 cases ( Canada vs esfand -https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2015/2015fc1190/2015fc1190.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAGZXNmYW5kAAAAAAE&resultIndex=1 and Canada vs Heidari Gezik https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2015/2015fc1268/2015fc1268.html searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAGZXNmYW5kAAAAAAE&resultIndex=5) In these 2 cases since both were outland refugees and dependents on the primary applicant, they were considered as convention refugees and henceforth kept their status. Does the same apply to me and my daughters and considering that these were a little high profile cases, and if so shouldn't the cbsa officer be aware of this and our status through the info available to her and does cbsa hearing agent consider our status before filing a cessation application or will we have to prove this during the hearing?
2. Worst case scenario, my wife loses her status for going back, can I sponsor her back as a spouse or no?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated

SheikhAhmed

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
Alos- yes I did consult a lawyer, paid over a 100 dollars and the guy knew little to nothing about cessations. I am making another appointment with another lawyer this week, hopefully he will know better.

rousseau

Jun 27, 2019
Alos- yes I did consult a lawyer, paid over a 100 dollars and the guy knew little to nothing about cessations. I am making another appointment with another lawyer this week, hopefully he will know better.
Did you renew or obtain your home country passport outside or from within the borders of that country?

There is a strong presumption of re-availment if the refugee obtains a passport outside the country of persecution and travelled on his national passport to that same country.

Last edited:

SheikhAhmed

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
Did you renew or obtain your home country passport outside or from within the borders of that country?

There is a strong presumption of re-availment the refugee obtain a passport outside the country of persecution and travelled on his national passport to that same country.
Yes we did as I mentioned but since we were dependents on my wife, are we really considered pr in our own right?

rousseau

Jun 27, 2019

There is a strong presumption of re-availment if the refugee obtains a passport outside the country of persecution and travelled on his national passport to that same country.
In my opinion, you and your daughters shouldn't fear cessation since you are NOT a convention Refugee as defined in section 95(1)(a) of the Act. Therefore, the CBSA hearing officer won't be able to file for cessation.

Here is the federal court view on this :

“ In my view, [the argument that can accompanying family member is a Convention refugee who is subject to cessation] does not outweigh the following important points:

• It makes no sense for the respondent to face negative consequences for visiting Iran, where she never claimed to be at risk;
  • The applicable statutory and regulatory provisions (read in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the IRPA, the object of the IRPA, and the intention of Parliament) do not support the applicant’s position; and
  • The applicant’s position would work against the clearly stated policy of family unity. “
It is all up to the specifics of your refugee claim, so you should seek legal advice once the time comes to do so. Meantime, apply for a Refugee Travel Document and never use your passports.

It could take up to 20 years without hearing a word from CBSA. So my advice for you is to forget about all this and live your life.