+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some Gnanapragasam and Charter Challenges Follow-up:

While it was just posted to the Federal Court website yesterday, and so far is still not showing up at CanII, Justice Henry S. Brown's decision/ruling itself is dated May 2, 2024.

It is currently available here: https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/525671/index.do and the citation is 2024 FC 761

The other cases in which the Charter challenges to the automatic loss of PR upon cessation are continued, and which I referenced above as IMM-5466-23 and IMM-5481-23, are:
Roman Slepcsik versus Minister of Citizenship & Immigration, Minister of Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness, and the Attorney General of Canada, which is IMM-5481-23, and​
Roman Slepcsik versus Minister of Citizenship & Immigration, which is IMM-5466-23​

I do not know why there are two cases involving Roman Slepcsik. I am posting these details so that these cases can be better followed, noting though that for me it is more difficult to follow cases based on the IMM number (but that's all I can see so far for the Slepcsik cases).

A hearing in the remaining Slepcsik cases has not yet been scheduled.

I had not seen any references to the Slepcsik cases prior to this.

Obviously, the outcome of the Charter challenges is potentially a very, very BIG DEAL for all those PR-refugees who currently have cessation cases pending and all those who have traveled to their home country and could be facing cessation investigations potentially leading to cessation proceedings.

I have NO idea what the odds are of these challenges succeeding. I do not know how it works if a Federal Court rules the automatic loss of PR provision is unconstitutional . . . recognizing that decisions by the Federal Court do not constitute binding precedent in other cases. My sense is that an appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal will be necessary to actually reach a definitive outcome for these challenges. And that will mean it will be a long while, many months, a year or more perhaps, before this actually reaches the stage there is settled law on these issues.

Some Follow-up Re Section 108(1)(e) IRPA alternative grounds for cessation:

One thing is clear: if the RPD determines that a PR-refugee's protected status is ceased based on changed conditions, that is pursuant to Section 108(1)(e) IRPA, rather than cessation on the other grounds specified in Section 108(1)(a) to Section 108(1)(d), that does not affect their status as a PR.

As noted, this was Gnanapragasam's escape.

And this is what Qin Yi Wang is seeking.

I initially did not give this aspect of Wang much attention because the decisions in Tung v. Canada, 2018 FC 1224, https://canlii.ca/t/hwgr8 and Karasu v. Canada, 2023 FC 654, https://canlii.ca/t/jx63x (both of which I have discussed in this thread before) made it seem that neither the RPD nor the Federal Courts were much if at all likely to give PR-refugees a Section 108(1)(e) way out. Even though there had been hints that the Gnanapragasam case went that route, that was not clear until this Gnanapragasam decision specifically said that was what has happened. Making it look like a real possibility, at least for SOME of those PR-refugees facing cessation and loss of PR status.

NONE of this changes the caution that (at least for now) PR-refugees should NOT obtain a home country passport and NOT travel to the home country. Too much at stake. There is NO guarantee, indeed not much if any assurance, that the automatic loss of PR provision will be invalidated and not applied.

EchoPulse

Jun 5, 2024
Hello everyone,

I received my refugee status in 2021 and subsequently got my PR in 2022. Immediately after receiving my PR, I applied for a travel document, which I finally received in August 2023 after multiple follow-ups. During this period, I also requested the return of my passport from IRCC, which they agreed to after six months. I renewed this passport not for travel purposes but as identification for a divorce case in my home country, as required by my lawyer for verification since I couldn't travel back. Since arriving in Canada, I have never travelled outside the country.

I am now preparing to apply for citizenship. Should I mention the renewal of my passport in my citizenship application? Could this create any issues for me?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello everyone,

I received my refugee status in 2021 and subsequently got my PR in 2022. Immediately after receiving my PR, I applied for a travel document, which I finally received in August 2023 after multiple follow-ups. During this period, I also requested the return of my passport from IRCC, which they agreed to after six months. I renewed this passport not for travel purposes but as identification for a divorce case in my home country, as required by my lawyer for verification since I couldn't travel back. Since arriving in Canada, I have never travelled outside the country.

I am now preparing to apply for citizenship. Should I mention the renewal of my passport in my citizenship application? Could this create any issues for me?
The applicant for citizenship is required to submit photocopies of ALL pages in ALL passports the applicant has which could have been used during the five year eligibility period.

Even if the passport might raise issues, the failure to disclose it would pose a greater risk of problems.

Absent use of the passport for any travel and given the reason for renewing the passport there should be NO problem, no reason for IRCC to suspect reavailment, no reason to make inquiry let alone conduct an investigation into cessation.

That said, technically just renewing the passport creates a presumption of reavailment. However, absent use of the passport for travel, and in particular absent use of the passport to travel to the home country, that presumption should be easily rebutted. So far we have not seen any cessation proceedings based on reavailment brought against a PR-refugee who did not travel to the home country, let alone no international travel at all using the passport.

It might be helpful to include a supplemental page, what some call a LoE (Letter of Explanation), explaining the purpose for renewing the passport.

BUT I am NO expert. I am NOT a Canadian lawyer. Before proceeding to make the citizenship application it might be worth spending some cash to get a paid-for consultation with a Canadian immigration lawyer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The decision in Wiseman Hunt v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2024 FC 837 (CanLII), https://canlii.ca/t/k52hs is consistent with the more or less steady stream of other decisions upholding RPD cessation of protected status.

Here again is another RPD and Federal Court decision which acknowledges that the PR-refugee's knowledge about the consequences arising from travel to the home country MUST be considered but nonetheless upholds cessation even though the PR-refugee was not knowledgeable about the consequences. Here the RPD "assumed" Ms. Wiseman Hunt did not know of the consequences. There is nothing new about this, but the continuing incongruity suggested by how little weight appears to be given this, a factor that must be taken into consideration and which would make the decision unreasonable if not considered.

yellowpepper

Jun 9, 2024
This does not apply to me, asking out of curiosity. Countries are being changed for privacy. If a PR with an RTD who claimed asylum in Canada from Nigeria, travels to Benin and then enters Nigeria, can Canadian immigration find this out when they return? They will be out of Canada for approx 10 months. They did not directly fly to their country of origin in this case.

yellowpepper

Jun 9, 2024
The decision in Wiseman Hunt v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2024 FC 837 (CanLII), https://canlii.ca/t/k52hs is consistent with the more or less steady stream of other decisions upholding RPD cessation of protected status.

Here again is another RPD and Federal Court decision which acknowledges that the PR-refugee's knowledge about the consequences arising from travel to the home country MUST be considered but nonetheless upholds cessation even though the PR-refugee was not knowledgeable about the consequences. Here the RPD "assumed" Ms. Wiseman Hunt did not know of the consequences. There is nothing new about this, but the continuing incongruity suggested by how little weight appears to be given this, a factor that must be taken into consideration and which would make the decision unreasonable if not considered.
I have been reading up on reavailment cases extensively. If someone has truly claimed asylum because they are unsafe in their home country, why do so many travel home 5, 6 sometimes 10 times - bonus points if they stay for extended periods of time. Why not wait until you get citizenship if your life is truly in danger? Seems like there are a lot of fake asylum claims.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This does not apply to me, asking out of curiosity. Countries are being changed for privacy. If a PR with an RTD who claimed asylum in Canada from Nigeria, travels to Benin and then enters Nigeria, can Canadian immigration find this out when they return? They will be out of Canada for approx 10 months. They did not directly fly to their country of origin in this case.
Yes, they can find out.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Did I mention that there has been a more or less steady stream of other decisions upholding RPD cessation of protected status? Yes, above, in regards to the June 4, 2024 decision in Wiseman Hunt v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2024 FC 837, https://canlii.ca/t/k52hs

And then there was another the very next day, Justice Battista's decision in Gaziev v. Canada, 2024 FC 850, https://canlii.ca/t/k52jk

What is remarkable about the Gaziev decision is how brief if not curt it is. Totality of facts cited to justify the conclusion Gaziev reavailed home country protection are stated in just two sentences which reference the same general facts without any specific details:

Applicant reavailed himself "by returning on multiple occasions for substantial periods over a number of years, and by renewing his passport twice."​

"Applicant reavailed himself by renewing his passport twice and returning to Uzbekistan on five occasions for substantial periods."​

That's it. That's the full extent of the details. Not sure if this signals any trend. But it is worth noting that Federal Court decisions are rarely any more cursory than this one.

It is possible that Gaziev only had refugee status without PR status (the lack of detail includes the absence of procedural information), and perhaps that underlies the brevity of the court's decision. But the brevity of this five paragraph cessation decision is nonetheless remarkably stark.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did I mention that there has been a more or less steady stream of other decisions upholding RPD cessation of protected status? Yes, above, in regards to the June 4, 2024 decision in Wiseman Hunt v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2024 FC 837, https://canlii.ca/t/k52hs

And then there was another the very next day, Justice Battista's decision in Gaziev v. Canada, 2024 FC 850, https://canlii.ca/t/k52jk

What is remarkable about the Gaziev decision is how brief if not curt it is. Totality of facts cited to justify the conclusion Gaziev reavailed home country protection are stated in just two sentences which reference the same general facts without any specific details:

Applicant reavailed himself "by returning on multiple occasions for substantial periods over a number of years, and by renewing his passport twice."​

"Applicant reavailed himself by renewing his passport twice and returning to Uzbekistan on five occasions for substantial periods."​

That's it. That's the full extent of the details. Not sure if this signals any trend. But it is worth noting that Federal Court decisions are rarely any more cursory than this one.

It is possible that Gaziev only had refugee status without PR status (the lack of detail includes the absence of procedural information), and perhaps that underlies the brevity of the court's decision. But the brevity of this five paragraph cessation decision is nonetheless remarkably stark.
I saw this and thought of you. Didn't have a chance to post yet. Kind of fascinating.

Rays1080

Mar 8, 2024
I've also been following this thread for about two years, and it's been a great help in getting information and coping with my anxiety over a cessation case brought against me in October 2020 for traveling to my home country and renewing my passport on multiple occasions. However, I have not heard anything back from CBSA since they filed, except last year when they informed me that they had replaced the minister's counsel on my case.

I applied for my citizenship in August 2022 and had an interview in December 2023, during which nothing regarding cessation was brought up. I received my GCMS notes from IRCC, and according to the notes (with no mention of cessation), I have passed Knowledge, Language, Residence, Prohibition, and Criminality checks, but the oath ceremony has still not started. Also under the Immigration section in the notes its been marked as passed. My question would be: if CBSA filed an application for cessation in 2020, why have they still not set a hearing date?

Thank you for any input or advice. I hired one of the top immigration lawyers right away and paid the fee for a hearing, though a date has not been set. The lawyer has contacted CBSA/minister's counsel countless times to add their office to the case, but they have not responded or added them to the file. The lawyer & I have both contacted IRB & RPD on multiple occasions, and they informed us that they have no file regarding my case.

Just to give some background: I came to Canada as a minor & dependent of a family member over 30 years ago, I applied for citizenship long ago but failed due to brief legal problems at the time(young & stupid); I was not the principal applicant, and we were not inland claimants. We were convention refugees under the "Abroad Class." I had mentioned this to the RPD, and they said that might be why they don't have anything on the cessation.

Could it be a jurisdiction issue that's holding up my hearing? I appreciate everyone in this thread & the time you all take to review all these cases.

Here are some relevant cases for reference:
  • Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Esfand, 2015 FC 1190 (CanLII), [2016] 2 FCR 282
  • Link
  • Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Heidari Gezik, 2015 FC 1268 (CanLII)
  • Link
Hi there, any update on your case?