+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm very confused on what my status in Canada is and any advice will be very much appreciate it.

My father moved to Canada on the year 2014 and was granted refugee status on 2018. He listed me as a companying dependent on his PR application. I got my COPr and moved to Canada last year, under I believe is DR(Dependent of refugee) category as stated on my COPR.

I never asked for refugee myself nor I was personally assessed as far as I know, but I do understand I got my PR because of my father's status.

Does this make me a refugee as well? Should I avoid travelling to my home country or using my home country passport?

I'm very desperate as I've found very little information on what my dos and don'ts are and I don't want a cessation case open up against me or my father because of me travelling back.

PD: Sorry for my English, I've done my best to learn the language as fast as I can.
How IRCC and CBSA are handling these situations is not clear.

Part of the problem with the application of cessation provisions to Permanent Residents is that the application of the law is not entirely settled. There are Federal Court decisions that say accompanying family members are also subject to the particular provisions for which the cessation of status can apply, but I am not sure that is a ruling as such. I am not a Canadian lawyer, so I do not know how statements like that compare to specific rulings.

Unfortunately I have seen conflicting views from lawyers as well, and some significant errors by them. So I am not sure how much a lawyer's opinion about this will help.

Adding to that, IRCC and CBSA policies and practices in regards to cessation generally seems to vary and there are no clear guidelines.

One thing is for sure: if you engaged in actions that constituted reavailment and make you subject to cessation, that will have NO effect on your father's status. Each of you are now responsible for your selves, in regards to your status.

The safe approach is to stay and get citizenship. Once you get citizenship the cessation provisions do not apply for sure.

In the meantime you could try consulting with lawyers. If you do, please come back here and share what you learn.

Anfer2325

Apr 7, 2022
How IRCC and CBSA are handling these situations is not clear.

Part of the problem with the application of cessation provisions to Permanent Residents is that the application of the law is not entirely settled. There are Federal Court decisions that say accompanying family members are also subject to the particular provisions for which the cessation of status can apply, but I am not sure that is a ruling as such. I am not a Canadian lawyer, so I do not know how statements like that compare to specific rulings.

Unfortunately I have seen conflicting views from lawyers as well, and some significant errors by them. So I am not sure how much a lawyer's opinion about this will help.

Adding to that, IRCC and CBSA policies and practices in regards to cessation generally seems to vary and there are no clear guidelines.

One thing is for sure: if you engaged in actions that constituted reavailment and make you subject to cessation, that will have NO effect on your father's status. Each of you are now responsible for your selves, in regards to your status.

The safe approach is to stay and get citizenship. Once you get citizenship the cessation provisions do not apply for sure.

In the meantime you could try consulting with lawyers. If you do, please come back here and share what you learn.
Hey guys, I'll be consulting with a lawyer very soon and I'll post here any advice I get from him.

You mentioned there are Federal Court decisions that say accompanying family member are also subject to some provisions, could you please mentioned or shared a link to any of does decisions, I'll like to have a read.

Thanks very much for the response!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You mentioned there are Federal Court decisions that say accompanying family member are also subject to some provisions, could you please mentioned or shared a link to any of does decisions, I'll like to have a read.
I do not have time to review the research, much of which I have referenced, cited, and linked in the many pages of this topic, but the more or less most memorable decisions that address the scope of which persons can be subject to the reavailment and cessation provisions in IRPA are:

Siddiqui v. Canada, 2016 FCA 134, https://canlii.ca/t/grsb2 (a Federal Court of Appeal decision so a definitely binding precedent)

Camayo v. Canada case, 2020 FC 213, https://canlii.ca/t/j54n9

Siddiqui ruled: ". . . section 108, the cessation provision, applies to protected persons, regardless of the route or mechanism by which they obtain status as a protected person."

In Camayo the PR-refugee "obtained permanent resident [PR] status . . . as a dependent listed on her mother's principal application." The FC rejected her argument that since she obtained protected person status as a dependent, and did not receive a personal, independent assessment of the risk of persecution, her status could not be ceased, that as a dependent she did not fall within the ambit of IRPA s cessation provision.

However, Camayo's cessation was set aside for other reasons (see previous discussions about this case in back pages of this topic), and the dicta rejecting her argument that as a dependent she was not subject to the cessation provision was tied to particular details and potentially a difference between inland and overseas refugee applications. I am no expert and not a Canadian lawyer, so my ability to unravel these nuances is limited; and so far I have not been able to find sufficient clarification to fully grasp what this means.

There is also the Abadi v. Canada, 2016 FC 29, https://canlii.ca/t/gn0cx Federal Court decision which upheld a reavailment and cessation of status decision against a dependent, and did so as if there was no question that the cessation provision applied. The Minister's representative in the Camayo case argued the Abadi decision established that cessation applied to dependents regardless whether their status was obtained via an inland or overseas application.

It seems to me that those and other cases I have read do not definitively answer the question for you. But they suggest the risk is significant, subject to CBSA and IRCC policies and practices in how they actually approach the application of cessation provisions to particular persons. And of course the consequences, if there are grounds and cessation is prosecuted, are severe: the loss of all status to live in Canada, with no H&C relief.

You can do further research for yourself at the CanLII site: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/ There could be, should be, significantly more coverage of this issue in the Immigration Refugee Board decisions (almost all of which redact names); those decisions do not carry the weight of a Federal Court decision but they illustrate how IRCC, CBSA, and the IRB are handling these cases.

You can also click on the header "Treatment" in the three cases I cite and link here, which generates a list of other cases which cite those cases.

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Hello everyone.
I'm sure you are familiar with my case, for the usual participants on this thread.
Just a quick update. I filled out a web form a couple of weeks ago. They responded with the usual generic message but saying that they have forwarded my inquiry on the delay to the relevant office, Edmonton in my case.
Alas, to my surprise I received for the very first time in this entire wait, a message from Edmonton and personalized (not generic) with the citizenship officers initials at the end. It read:

Hello,
We have received your request for a status update.

Your file is currently under review. You will be notified prior to being scheduled for any citizenship events.

Thank you,
Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Edmonton Office

* citizenship officers initials *

I tried as usual to read into the simple message so hard especially seeing that it was from the horses mouth itself.
Anyone ever received such or know what i should possibly expect?

Thanks

Reactions: Tamiou

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello everyone.
I'm sure you are familiar with my case, for the usual participants on this thread.
Just a quick update. I filled out a web form a couple of weeks ago. They responded with the usual generic message but saying that they have forwarded my inquiry on the delay to the relevant office, Edmonton in my case.
Alas, to my surprise I received for the very first time in this entire wait, a message from Edmonton and personalized (not generic) with the citizenship officers initials at the end. It read:

Hello,
We have received your request for a status update.

Your file is currently under review. You will be notified prior to being scheduled for any citizenship events.

Thank you,
Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Edmonton Office

* citizenship officers initials *

I tried as usual to read into the simple message so hard especially seeing that it was from the horses mouth itself.
Anyone ever received such or know what i should possibly expect?

Thanks
When you first began relating your saga here, around THREE plus YEARS ago, it was near impossible to discern whether or not, or to what extent, you were at risk for reavailment proceedings.

The situation has flipped. It remains POSSIBLE that your case has not been referred to CBSA for reavailment-related investigation, but it appears the odds are very much leaning in that direction. And, unfortunately, even if that is not what the "review" is about, the other usual suspects are likely to be some serious blokes, like a serious security or criminality background concern. That said, there has been this and that anomaly along the way, and to some extent no action is a kind of hopeful news, so it remains impossible to reliably diagnose the problem let alone form any prognosis. If you could afford a lawyer, getting a lawyer involved would be a good idea.

You have previously indicated that hiring a lawyer was beyond your means, or at least it would be prudent to reserve resources to hire a lawyer if and when CBSA actually initiated reavailment proceedings. That makes good sense. Patience is perhaps your best strategy for now and for awhile to come. That said, NOT using the home country passport in the meantime, and for sure not traveling to the home country, could loom as huge factors. The longer you go without using the passport, my sense is the stronger the case you did NOT *INTEND* to reavail yourself of the home country's protection, and which is emphasized by having applied for Canadian citizenship.

You might be able to learn more by making a customized, detailed ATIP request to CBSA. The risk is that could be poking a hornet's nest, stirring things up, triggering negative action on your case . . . whereas, the longer it goes without any further use of the passport, that should further bolster the argument there was NO INTENT to reavail.

In any event, while hopefully, eventually, CBSA and IRCC will decide to proceed without any reavailment proceedings, and finalize your citizenship application favourably, it would be a good idea to prepare to hire a lawyer, sooner (before making any decisions to poke at CBSA or take any other action to push your application ahead) or later (for sure if CBSA initiates reavailment proceedings).

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Thanks for your feedback as always. What I must say is for the longest time my file was showing suspended meaning no administrative action was taking place as with routine cases. I assumed it was suspended for reasons of some form of investigation and now the same office is telling me its under review by them. I therefore assume it's back on their desk to make a decision.

Also on the government websites, it indicates that to refer a potential case for cessation to CBSC, one of the requirements for them is a full photocopy in color of my passport which has never been requested.

It therefore to me means either reavailement proceedings have been skipped altogether or it is yet to come to their attention, which would then make us question why the file was suspended in the GCMS notes

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for your feedback as always. What I must say is for the longest time my file was showing suspended meaning no administrative action was taking place as with routine cases. I assumed it was suspended for reasons of some form of investigation and now the same office is telling me its under review by them. I therefore assume it's back on their desk to make a decision.

Also on the government websites, it indicates that to refer a potential case for cessation to CBSC, one of the requirements for them is a full photocopy in color of my passport which has never been requested.

It therefore to me means either reavailement proceedings have been skipped altogether or it is yet to come to their attention, which would then make us question why the file was suspended in the GCMS notes
I will not rain on your optimism; and will concur there's reason to think your assumption (more inference than guess it appears) is close to the mark and perhaps whatever the hold was it has been resolved and things could be moving in a good direction. That would be good. And if that is how it goes, as always your updates are appreciated.

The caution is that it is, of course, extremely difficult to identify if there has been an investigatory referral let alone what that is about, if there is one, or what stage it is at. Anything at all "investigatory" is kept behind a curtain of confidentiality.

I tend to take the more cautious be prepared approach, and thus I focused on the ambiguity of what "currently under review" might mean, allowing it could mean under review by CBSA. But this is more or less emphasizing what I do not know rather than some insight into what is actually happening, and again taking the more cautious approach. So my suggestions about being prepared to lawyer-up stand. Just in case.

There should be plenty of weight in your favour just in consideration of the time that has passed and how utterly harsh and unjust it would be to proceed to not only deny citizenship but terminate your status in Canada. I certainly hope such considerations have influence . . . for your sake, but more than that, just in terms of fairness generally and hoping our government accords much weight to how these things affect people's lives.

Hoping this goes well and please do keep the forum updated.

By the way . . . if you could point out the government websites you are referring to, and in particular where there are procedural details like requirements for referring a potential cessation case including, as you note, obtaining a full copy of all passport pages, that would be appreciated as well.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Update appreciated.

This is a good source, especially for understanding the scope and application of principles set out by the Federal Court of Appeals (which are binding rulings) in the Camayo case, which I have cited, linked, and discussed above. But also on its own given the extensive analysis provided by Justice Avvy Yao-Yao Go in this case.

It warrants noting that the subject of this case, Iftikhar Ahmed, appears to have been clearly informed that as a protected person he was not allowed to return to his home country. In particular, he made four additional trips to the home country AFTER spending five hours in Secondary being questioned about his first trip there. The stays in the home country were extensive, the most recent being for six and fifth months respectively. Over the years he obtained multiple home country passports.

So Ahmed does not fall into the group of those who made few and only brief trips to the home country. So this case tends to reaffirm that cessation cases are still being prosecuted against those who quite blatantly get a home country passport and travel to the home country. It does not illuminate how things are going for protected persons with less home country contact.

This case also reaffirms that the impact a loss of status will have does NOT factor into the cessation case. Harsh, potentially very harsh if the person still faces serious risks in the home country; but it is what it is. In this case, in particular, "whether an applicant would be at risk in their country of nationality is not a relevant consideration in a cessation hearing."

Reactions: scylla

A_a

Aug 10, 2013
Hi everyone
I found out a lot of helpful information here

looking for some info for a friend who is a protected permanent resident has renewed passport 3 times and traveled several times to backhome did not know abt not getting backhome passport or travel restrictions went for family emergencies and some situations changes though not compltely out of danger in back home but having pr made her think she is proected.

she is now considering her options as she is married and settled with a kid in canada husband owns a bussiness kid is going to school she works as well.

Can she renounce her pr and get sponsored by her husband? She will not travel now that she found out ant ceseation but there is nothing that can b done for her past travels

so she wants to b upfront with immigration and tell them and get change of status if thats possible

Also just wondering if there is anyone who got ceaseated and came back to canada and any details abt auch cases

thanks

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Hi everyone

looking for some info for a friend who is a protected permanent resident has renewed passport 3 times and traveled several times to backhome did not know abt not getting backhome passport or travel restrictions went for family emergencies and some situations changes though not compltely out of danger in back home but having pr made her think she is proected.

she is now considering her options as she is married and settled with a kid in canada husband owns a bussiness kid is going to school she works as well.

Can she renounce her pr and get sponsored by her husband? She will not travel now that she found out ant ceseation but there is nothing that can b done for her past travels

so she wants to b upfront with immigration and tell them and get change of status if thats possible

Also just wondering if there is anyone who got ceaseated and came back to canada and any details abt auch cases

thanks
So : Did the immigration ceaseated her?
Did Immigration send her a letter to notice ?
Did she renew her PR card & citizenship ????
How she know that Immigration took act against her?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi everyone

thanks
Probably best to at least consult with a reputable and competent immigration lawyer who engages in refugee law.

Some observations otherwise:

If NO cessation proceedings have been initiated so far, there is no obligation to bring this to the attention of IRCC or CBSA.

It might be difficult to be sure that CBSA did not make a referral to investigate potential reavailment during a recent re-entry into Canada from abroad; but if she was not questioned much about her travel and being in her home country, odds are good there is no pending investigation.

If there is no sign of a pending investigation, as long as the refugee-PR stays in Canada and does not apply for citizenship, so far as we see the odds are very good that the PR is not at risk a reavailment/cessation investigation or proceeding will be initiated.

Beyond that, in terms of what to do to "fix" things going forward, to more or less keep or obtain status that cannot be subject to cessation, again better to see a lawyer . . . otherwise, I have the sense there are a couple approaches that should work, BUT my sense is NOT worth much. I am not an expert. So, for example, there's the approach you described, renouncing PR status and being sponsored to become a PR. My sense is that would work to avoid the risk of cessation proceedings. But again (sorry about being so repetitive, but this is worth emphasizing), better to see a lawyer before relying on that.

I am tempted to suggest another option, to simply NO longer travel using the home country passport and WAIT for five years PAST the date her last passport expired, and THEN apply for citizenship. The applicant will need to explain why they do not have any passport they could have used during the preceding five years, but the answer is easy: just state that they do not have a passport because they are a refugee, or that they are a protected person. My guess, emphasizing however it is a guess, is that this would NOT trigger concern about reavailment, the citizenship application not indicating cause for such concerns given the lack of travel and no passport within the eligibility period. This involves long term planning, waiting, and given the vagaries of human life, and the not-so-enduring nature of marital relationships (stuff happens, and that can include not just divorces but accidental death, and so on), some risk of not having the fall-back insurance of being sponsored if PR status is lost or renounced in the meantime (due to cessation proceedings being initiated).

CAUTION: it is apparent some PR-refugees have engaged in obtaining a home country passport and travel to the home country, and done so within the five years prior to applying for citizenship, and successfully applied for citizenship, their application not derailed by a referral to CBSA for a reavailment investigation. One does not need to be a lawyer to recognize that approach is RISKY. Both CBSA and IRCC tend to be lenient in many ways, but the exercise of such leniency toward some should never be taken to be assurance another PR will likewise benefit from such leniency.

It is apparent that enforcement of the reavailment provisions varies. A lot of potential reavailment/cessation cases are never investigated let alone prosecuted. We really have little idea what will trigger a reavailment/cessation investigation or actually lead to cessation proceedings.

BUT the consequences, if subject to cessation, are so severe those affected should be very cautious, very, very cautious. For the individual you are asking about, it appears at least they have some insurance, the fall-back spousal sponsorship approach to regaining PR status should it be lost (or renounced to avoid a lengthy, tending to be very lengthy, cessation process).

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
Hello, everyone, one of my friends was granted Convention refugee status in 2021 and now he got his PR as well he wants to travel USA using his country passport which is released by IRCC recently and his passport is valid so if he uses it can be a problem as he thinks he is was not against the state, etc so conditions do not apply on him and he thinks like there are no cessation cases where they cease applicant who traveled to other countries using a home country passport.

Reactions: Toronto1971