+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
frankwhyte22 said:
I did write my citizenship test in Feb and got CIT 052 form in March which I did return, now I am waiting to hear back. My concern is that this could be a deliberate attempt to make my citizenship application non-routine hereby buying CIC time to bring a case of cessation against me while not technically putting my application on hold.
The CIT 0520 itself means your application is non-routine. But that does not have much significance.

There were some indications in 2013 through 2015 that CIC was suspending processing of applications pending referrals to investigate and potentially pursue cessation. In at least one case a Federal Court Justice issued mandamus ordering CIC to proceed with the citizenship application, ruling that a pending cessation investigation or (as I recall, I do not have the citation or link handy) perhaps even a cessation application in process is NOT grounds for CIC to wait on processing the citizenship application.

But again we do not know to what extent, in the citizenship application process, PR-refugees are currently being screened for potential cessation.

I feel bad about the cost of lawyering-up, but of course for anyone who can afford it, that is a good idea.

I recognize finding a lawyer for this probably is not easy. Refugee law is quite specialized, and I suspect typically involves a high volume practice. I know that in the recent past at least one lawyer providing such services was handling vastly more cases than a lawyer could competently handle and was disciplined, the mistakes made however having a devastating impact on scores of people relying on his services.

It is possible that you see more cases from Vancouver/B.C., for example, because there are more competent lawyers engaged in refugee law there, so those are the cases which make it to and through the process. We do not know, for example, how many other cases are decided at the RPD in decisions not readily accessible to the public and otherwise not publicized or well-known.

If you follow the links to the cases I cite in posts above, each decision lists the lawyers involved near the end of the case. You could do a search for "cessation" and "Toronto" and see cases which have some connection to the GTA, which is quite likely to be where the case was heard or where the lawyers in the case have offices, or both.

While the Liberals obviously have a more open and inviting approach to refugees than the Conservatives, there are many legal and bureaucratic hurdles in addition to all the usual difficulties involved in immigration, the law was repeatedly revised to be made tougher during the previous nine years of Conservative government, and the bureaucracy itself was, of course, dominated by Conservative leadership for nine years and the culture of a bureaucracy tends to change very slowly even though the culture of the government has changed.

The most prudent approach, which is too late for many, is to never travel to the home country and to not renew or obtain a home country passport.

shahbj

Mar 13, 2016
Today was my Oath ceremony and it was really great day for me.
I am now Canadian Citizen and feel happy.
Long Live Canada,Long Live LPC under leadership of JT
Let Canada be whole World or Whole World be Canada.

I wish every one going through this process a happy journey to success.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
shahbj said:
Today was my Oath ceremony and it was really great day for me.
I am now Canadian Citizen and feel happy.
Long Live Canada,Long Live LPC under leadership of JT
Let Canada be whole World or Whole World be Canada.

I wish every one going through this process a happy journey to success.
Congratulations.

And thank you for the report. I am sure this is good news for many. It is of course no guarantee how it will go for anyone else in a similar circumstance, but it clearly reflects that at least under current leadership IRCC is not screening and referring PR-refugees for cessation just because they obtained a home country passport and traveled some.

frankwhyte22

May 1, 2016
Emily12345 said:
Hi I have the same worry.
i sumbit my citizen application on June 3 by Canada post.the cic received it by June 05, since then i didn't hear any respond.I didn't receive Aor.

I m pr with refugee status, 2 yrs ago,my father experienced heart attack back home.I searched online,it's said go back to mother country for a short visit is resonable.as long as keep it shorter than one month.
I certainly understand it has risk.i went to the embassy apply a new passport.planing pay a visit to my dad.but thing happens too quick.when I get the passport.my dad ' surgery has been done successfully.so i didn't Travle back to my home country.

But I was using the passport grab the US visa and Travle to Cuba once.

I was not aware of the cessation due to the applying passport since i start preparing the citizenship application this feb.Acutually there is no related and official article explaining it well before .When I claimed as refugee. I had been told the passport would be back to me when i became to a Pr by my case manager.but the date becoming pr,i kept asking the officer where is the passport.they simply answered "I don't know,call cic call center".I also called the cic.they told me they have no idea.I also received a letter regarding to seized passport.i fax the seized form i had 5 years ago and get no respond.

Before I sent the application out,I met the settlement worker on march 2015,they told me do not worry about the citizenship application leads to cessation,I have also been told it's not necessary to hire a Lawer unless you like to waste money.they have helped a lot of people who has the same situation filled up the application form in their office,none of them are rejected.a lot of them Travle back to their homeland.as long as the visit is medical reason and you can prove it.

Unfortunately,I didn't receive any Respond from Cic,I check the excel sheet everyday.i saw most of the status turn green which gets me streesed.

I can't stop thinking if i get deported.the life i build up here from the past 5 year is ruined.I do have fear go back my mother country, but I also wanna visit my dying grandma and sick Parant who can't take airplane.so crazy. Who can tell me what can i do? So sad,so worry.

But back to the reality,the worry and the anxious are useless,there is no direct answer untill i cross the bridge.

I know a lot of people hates refugee,most of them think refugee could have the welfare from the govement easily.they don't work and they are lazy.I knew some of them did this,but i also believe there are a lot of refugee appreciate the kindness from the canda gorvement who will never abuse this system. Like me,i only apply welfare for 2.5 month before I had my working visa.When I need help,the Canada gorvement helps me,I don't wanna make her dispointed.I believe a lot of refugee also feel the same.A chance is deserved.

In the past five year,since i worked so hard,i Learnt a lot thing about Canada.
Canadian is also human being,as human nature,they always use their own way to seek the shortcut to the success.except the welfare, there is a lot of benifit the Canadian shares in commen.EI,insurance benifit,low income family benifit,Odsp.To save some tax or money,people always can find a loophole to filled them in. I don't think people has a elegant Pr status are better than refugee.Stop hating.

English is not my first language,and Its my first time express myself in a forum like this.pleae
Forgive my grammar and spelling.i remembered years ago when i post some question on some immigration forum in my mother language here.i have never had a chance to get a answer except insult.

This time I just expect people has the same worry as me who read this could feel some connection.
I presume this case is now closed since we never heard back from this user

Please do share the outcome of your citizenship application . Our timelines are the same and I also did the same thing (got a new passport used it to travel to other countries but not to my home country).

Any information you share will be very helpful to others here.

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
dpenabill said:
I started looking into this, in some depth, the day before yesterday. I have not yet seen the Federal Court of Appeal decision you refer to. If you have a link or at least a citation, that would be helpful.

Thus, I cannot assess the significance of this decision. And as yet cannot identify any source which will help me learn more about it.

Moreover, I am no expert, and I am not a Canadian lawyer. So unraveling the intricacies and nuances of interpretation and application regarding these complex issues is not about just looking the answers up.

All that noted, it may not be so bad as you apprehend. I do not know for sure, and actually I am way short of knowing, but there is the possibility this is ONLY about the Minister's decision to make an application for cessation, NOT about what the Refugee Protection Division actually considers in determining if protected status is ceased or not. For emphasis: I am not familiar with the actual hearing and decision-making process in the RPD.

If we are talking about the same Bermudez case, remember this case is about challenging an application for cessation, not a cessation determination by the Refugee Protection Division (RPD), and not a decision by the Refugee Appellate Division (RAD). (Note: there is much about procedure in refugee cases I do not know; I am not familiar with what cases are decided by the RAD, for example, versus those for which the only review is pursuant to an application for leave made to the Federal Court.)

That said, there is the Justice Fothergill decision earlier this year, January 8, 2016, about which I will say more below.

Some explanatory observations:

While there have not been a large number of cases involving persons named "Bermudez," there are several. I am guessing, given the certified question, this is about the same case in which Justice Mosley (Federal Court) issued a decision in June of last year; dated June 8, 2015.
See http://canlii.ca/t/gj6wb

In that decision, Justice Mosley certified the following question:

"Does the CBSA hearings officer, or the hearings officer as the Minister’s delegate, have the discretion to consider factors other than those set out in s. 108(1), including H&C considerations and the best interests of a child, when deciding whether to make a cessation application pursuant to s. 108(2) in respect of a permanent resident?"

This same question was certified the previous year by Justice Strickland in the Silvia Olvera Romero case; see http://canlii.ca/t/g82b1

Again, I have not seen the decision you refer to. I do not know what the issues of appeal are in that case. Those issues make a difference, and could make a huge difference.

In particular, both Justice Mosley's decision (Bermudez) and Justice Strickland's decision (Olvera Romero) were cases challenging a hearing officer's decision to make an application for cessation; and thus were not challenging a cessation determination itself. It is possible, perhaps likely, that the Federal Court of Appeal has ruled that H&C considerations are not part of the assessment in deciding whether to make a cessation application, without ruling out the consideration of such factors in making a cessation determination itself.

The Minister (well, actually the Minister's delegate, sometimes referred to as the "Hearing Officer") decides to make an application, and then the Refugee Protection Division may determine that protected status has "ceased." See Section 108.(2) IRPA:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-20.html#h-60

BUT this is where what I know about the process falls quite short: While for purposes of this particular discussion, and related issues in discussions about preserving (or losing) PR status, I have become familiar with the grounds for cessation and the consequences (since 2012, those being loss of PR status and thus, as well, eligibility to be granted citizenship), all I know about the procedure itself is that the process includes the usual procedural safeguards, that is the elements of fair procedure, including notice, an opportunity to explain or contest, and so on. I am not much familiar with the particular procedures employed, nor with the scope of discretion the decision-makers have, let alone what access there is to review, either administrative (as in before the RAD) or judicial.

The Justice Fothergill decision in http://canlii.ca/t/gn0cx (Sajjad Shamsi Kazem Abadi):

As I referenced above, there is the Justice Fothergill decision earlier this year, January 8, 2016, which states the presumption arising from travel to the refugee's home country using a home country passport more emphatically than many other decisions:

"It is only in “exceptional circumstances” that a refugee’s travel to his country of nationality on a passport issued by that country will not result in the termination of refugee status."
See http://canlii.ca/t/gn0cx (Sajjad Shamsi Kazem Abadi)

Make no mistake, according to Justice Fothergill's interpretation of the governing law, travel to the home country using the home country passport, will result in cessation unless there are EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES controverting the presumption of re-availment. If this interpretation and application of the law is followed, there are participants in this discussion whose status in Canada could still be very much at risk.

The decision by Justice Fothergill is also interesting in its discussion of both the Olvera Romero decision (Justice Strickland) and the Bermudez decision (Justice Mosley):

"However, in Olvera Romero v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2014 FC 671 at para 69 [Olvera Romero], Justice Strickland held that the function of the RPD in a cessation hearing is to consider whether re-availment was voluntary, intentional and actual. She acknowledged that in circumstances where the decision may adversely affect the best interests of a child and where this factor must be accounted for, H&C considerations may ultimately prevail. Justice Mosley clarified in Bermudez v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2015 FC 639 (CanLII) at para 34 [Bermudez] that this must be understood as a reference to a separate application for an exemption under s 25 of the IRPA, since the RPD does not have the authority to consider H&C factors."

Confession: in the last two days I have read all three of these decisions (Bermudez, Romero, and Abadi) several times, and numerous other decisions related to these issues, and I cannot sort this stuff out. It is hard in part because I can sort out enough to know that Justice Fothergill misstates what Justice Strickland "held," since Justice Strickland was not even reviewing a decision by the RPD and thus had no occasion, in Olvera Romero, to make a holding regarding the function of the RPD in a cessation hearing. Justice Strickland was reviewing a Hearing Officer's decision to make a cessation application. Yes, this is being rather nitpicking. The difference between what lawyers, and jurists generally, refer to as a "holding," versus what is "dicta," is of little import in a decision which itself has little precedent significance (Federal Court decisions are not binding on other Federal Court Justices). But this is enough to signal that one cannot rely on the literal statements made in Justice Fothergill's decision, which simply renders the Justice's observations about H&C considerations all the more unclear.

Yes, this is a long way of restating I do not know as to whether, and if so when, H&C considerations might be considered in the cessation process. I do not know.

If the Federal Court of Appeal has issued a decision supported by a written opinion ("opinion" being what an appellate court explains in support of the decision) on the certified question (in Bermudez & Romero), that should go a long way toward clarifying what is considered and when.

Just knowing the outcome really does not offer much, since these decisions arose out of a challenge made to a Hearing Officer's decision to make the cessation application, not out of a decision by the RPD.

These are complicated cases:

Despite various changes in the law while Harper was PM, efforts to reduce or eliminate avenues of recourse for those persons in Canada pursuant to claims based on grounds for obtaining or preserving refugee or protected person status, procedure regarding refugee cases still appears to have many complicated elements, perhaps a large array of variable issues and avenues of recourse, at the least multiple layers of decision-making and review. While Canada has one bureaucracy for governing immigration, refugees, and citizenship, the law governing refugees, and especially the law prescribing the procedures in refugee cases, tends to be a separate area and quite specialized. Many "immigration" lawyers, for example, are not well versed or experienced in refugee law.

How complicated these cases, and the particular issues in them, can be is illustrated by cases like that reflected in the Justice Fothergill decision (Miodrag Zaric) http://canlii.ca/t/gk8w0 which on its face seems to be something of a backwards cessation case, Zaric the one arguing that protected person status automatically ceased upon his becoming a Canadian citizen, and the Minister arguing otherwise, so that . . . well, so that the Minister could pursue a separate ground for not merely cessation of status but to vacate the original grant of status and thus "nullify" it. The case does not specifically indicate why, but my guess is that the latter is somehow a prerequisite to revoking Zaric's Canadian citizenship. What I do not understand about it, is that the alleged misrepresentation, which would support the proceeding to vacate (not just cessation), should suffice (as best I understand these things) to revoke citizenship on the grounds of misrepresentation without having to vacate the original grant of refugee status. Perhaps there is some other angle that I am not seeing. In any event, the intricacies of this case illustrate that these cases can get rather tangled in both substantive and procedural complexities.

How difficult it is to unravel competing principles and interests in these cases is illustrated by the decision written by Justice Annis last year, regarding Misagh Heidari Gezik (see http://canlii.ca/t/gm3b8 ), in which Justice Annis tends to flip and flop back and forth, ultimately rules against the Minister but nonetheless certifies the question as to whether family members of refugees, themselves not a refugee, are subject to cessation of refugee status. (Last fall Justice Locke similarly ruled, see http://canlii.ca/t/glrm0 (BAHAREH ESFAND), and certified much the same question.)

These are complicated cases AND they can swing due to very particular aspects:

Justice O'Reilly's decision in the Al-Obeidi case (see http://canlii.ca/t/gl1cf ) illustrates a nuance which saved Al-Obeidi from losing PR status despite cessation. There are five grounds for cessation. Cessation pursuant to four of those five results in the automatic termination of PR status. Cessation pursuant to the fifth ground (see Section 108.(1)(e) IRPA) does not terminate PR status. Thus, for Al-Obeidi, while the Minister applied for cessation based on Section 108.(1)(a) IRPA, that is re-availment, the RPD determined Al-Obeidi's status ceased pursuant to Section 108.(1)(e) IRPA, that is based on changed circumstances in the home country resulting in the conditions resulting in the need for protection no longer existed.

Justice O'Reilly upheld the RPD's decision, thus Al-Obeid did not lose PR status despite the cessation of his refugee status, and thus ostensibly he also remained eligible for citizenship.

Reference is made to another case, not appealed apparently, in which the RPD determined a PR's status ceased pursuant to both Section 108.(1)(c) and 108.(1)(e) IRPA, the 108.(1)(c) ground based on the acquisition of citizenship in a third country, and this did result in termination of the individual's PR status.

Some additional cessation cases:

Decision by Justice Noël upholding RPD determination of cessation; see http://canlii.ca/t/gh67g (Obaildullah Siddiqui)

Decision by Justice Annis upholding RPD determination of cessation where PR obtained U.S. citizenship; see http://canlii.ca/t/glt7h (Abdalla Khalifa)

Decision by Justice Mactavish overruling the RPD determination the PR had not re-availed himself of his home country's protection; see http://canlii.ca/t/gllrk (Nisreen Ahamed Mohamed Nilam) This case is noteworthy in that it tends to represent a rather strict approach to assessing what constitutes re-availment. Obviously, this is a case in which the Minister brought the appeal.

Decision by Justice Bédard, also in an appeal brought by the government/Minister, upholding the RPD decision that the refugee had not re-availed himself of his home country's protection. See http://canlii.ca/t/gg3kz (Najeeb Bashir) This is not a PR case, but it illustrates the relatively extreme position the government was taking under Conservative leadership. This individual obtained home country passport under the mistaken belief he needed it to complete the process of becoming a PR, but also intended to use it to travel to a third country where he could visit his parents, but had not used it. That was enough, however, for the government to push for his loss of status.

And otherwise, still, we do not know whether the Liberal government is approaching these cases differently.
http://ccrweb.ca/en/release-cessation-reform-urgent-following-bermudez-court-decision

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sopranotb said:
http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/05/05/court-disallows-leeway-on-refugee-loss-of-status/
Thank you for this link.

For anyone affected, potentially affected, or otherwise interested in this subject, the article has a link to the CARL Cessation Brief which is an excellent overview of the subject and issues and problems.

This link may work as well:
http://www.carl-acaadr.ca/sites/default/files/CARL%20%20Cessation%20Briefing%20Note%20for%20Minister%20McCallum%2019%2004.pdf

The CARL brief cites a source indicating that under Conservative leadership, they were targeting 875 cessations per year . . . more than thirty times the number targeted previously. This number is stunning.

And it explains why this is not about maintaining the integrity of the system or about fraudulent refugee claims.

And it highlights some of the more draconian ways in which this has a brutally unfair impact.

This brief was sent to Minister McCallum just a bit over two weeks ago, so obviously the situation under Liberal leadership has not abated IRCC and the Minister of Public Safety's efforts to continue these cessation proceedings, which given the numbers really seems like a purge.

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
This brief was sent to Minister McCallum just a bit over two weeks ago, so obviously the situation under Liberal leadership has not abated IRCC and the Minister of Public Safety's efforts to continue these cessation proceedings, which given the numbers really seems like a purge.

[/quote]
What do you mean by this sentence?. I cannot see anything in the link that says that liberals are continuing cessation applications rather I feel like they request liberals to speed on changing the laws or at least stop cessation until laws change..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
dpenabill said:

sopranotb said:
What do you mean by this sentence?. I cannot see anything in the link that says that liberals are continuing cessation applications rather I feel like they request liberals to speed on changing the laws or at least stop cessation until laws change.
I should have said "apparently" rather than "obviously:"
"This brief was sent to Minister McCallum just a bit over two weeks ago, so apparently [not 'obviously'] the situation under Liberal leadership has not abated IRCC and the Minister of Public Safety's efforts to continue these cessation proceedings, which given the numbers really seems like a . . . ." And "purge" may be a bit strong, albeit the numbers targeted under Conservative leadership is what invited that attribution.

Given the concerns expressed in the CARL brief, and the requests made, and that these were just made recently as if these are ongoing concerns, that suggests these requests are indeed in response to ongoing cessation actions.

That is, they are asking the Liberal government to change its approach to cessation. That suggests the government's approach is still actively pursuing these cessation actions.

The caveat, I suppose, is that CARL is an advocacy organization, and a huge part of its agenda is to generate funding, to solicit contributions, in order to sustain its advocacy. And in that regard there is sometimes a tendency to dramatize or even exaggerate the issues, to get people excited. We saw this before during discussions about Bill C-24, and especially in regards to the so-called Intent to reside clause in Bill C-24, regarding which their characterization of that provision was way beyond what the provision actually provided.

Moreover, in contrast, there is the shahbj example, in which both a home country passport and home country travel are indicated, and it appears this has not led to a problem. One report is never enough to draw firm conclusions from, let alone rely on, but it seems a credible report and a fairly strong indication that IRCC is not aggressively pursuing cessation just because the individual obtained a home passport and did some travel to home country.

Overall it is still a guess; we just do not really know to what extent IRCC and the Minister of Public Safety are or are not continuing the cessation practices of their predecessors under Conservative leadership. The law itself is harsh enough even if only moderately enforced.

All I can suggest is that if I was a PR-refugee and I had obtained my country's home passport, and especially if I had traveled to my home country, I would hold off applying for citizenship or traveling abroad again unless and until it is clear that the harsh approach under the Conservatives has been discontinued. That is, I would avoid engaging in any transactions with IRCC or CBSA which might expose the fact of having a home country passport for awhile, until the picture is clear, until the current government's approach is better known and understood. That is, I'd take the safer route forward for awhile.

For those who have already applied, and are in process, I don't know. Anyone who can afford a lawyer might seriously consider at least a consultation. But finding a competent lawyer in this area might not be easy.

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
dpenabill said:
I should have said "apparently" rather than "obviously:"
"This brief was sent to Minister McCallum just a bit over two weeks ago, so apparently [not 'obviously'] the situation under Liberal leadership has not abated IRCC and the Minister of Public Safety's efforts to continue these cessation proceedings, which given the numbers really seems like a . . . ." And "purge" may be a bit strong, albeit the numbers targeted under Conservative leadership is what invited that attribution.

Given the concerns expressed in the CARL brief, and the requests made, and that these were just made recently as if these are ongoing concerns, that suggests these requests are indeed in response to ongoing cessation actions.

That is, they are asking the Liberal government to change its approach to cessation. That suggests the government's approach is still actively pursuing these cessation actions.

The caveat, I suppose, is that CARL is an advocacy organization, and a huge part of its agenda is to generate funding, to solicit contributions, in order to sustain its advocacy. And in that regard there is sometimes a tendency to dramatize or even exaggerate the issues, to get people excited. We saw this before during discussions about Bill C-24, and especially in regards to the so-called Intent to reside clause in Bill C-24, regarding which their characterization of that provision was way beyond what the provision actually provided.

Moreover, in contrast, there is the shahbj example, in which both a home country passport and home country travel are indicated, and it appears this has not led to a problem. One report is never enough to draw firm conclusions from, let alone rely on, but it seems a credible report and a fairly strong indication that IRCC is not aggressively pursuing cessation just because the individual obtained a home passport and did some travel to home country.

Overall it is still a guess; we just do not really know to what extent IRCC and the Minister of Public Safety are or are not continuing the cessation practices of their predecessors under Conservative leadership. The law itself is harsh enough even if only moderately enforced.

All I can suggest is that if I was a PR-refugee and I had obtained my country's home passport, and especially if I had traveled to my home country, I would hold off applying for citizenship or traveling abroad again unless and until it is clear that the harsh approach under the Conservatives has been discontinued. That is, I would avoid engaging in any transactions with IRCC or CBSA which might expose the fact of having a home country passport for awhile, until the picture is clear, until the current government's approach is better known and understood. That is, I'd take the safer route forward for awhile.

For those who have already applied, and are in process, I don't know. Anyone who can afford a lawyer might seriously consider at least a consultation. But finding a competent lawyer in this area might not be easy.
We should hire yourself dpenabill as a lawyer, you have shown a great experience with this :) :) Kidding!
What brings me relief about how the new government treat these cases (you correct me if I am wrong) is that there are no new cases of cessation at federal court website since almost 4 months now!! is not this a proof that new application cessations by new government have dramatically decreased?. before January 2016 and in 2015 and 2014 we were seeing a rate of at least 1 case per month at the federal court website..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sopranotb said:
What brings me relief about how the new government treat these cases (you correct me if I am wrong) is that there are no new cases of cessation at federal court website since almost 4 months now!! is not this a proof that new application cessations by new government have dramatically decreased?. before January 2016 and in 2015 and 2014 we were seeing a rate of at least 1 case per month at the federal court website.

That we do NOT know warrants emphasis.

The law itself entails very harsh results if enforced on its face. There are at least some indicators enforcement has not abated let alone ceased.

The shahbj report, in contrast, suggests good reason to hope that IRCC may no longer be targeting citizenship applicants, or at least not leaning toward enforcing a strict approach in applying the presumption of re-availment.

But again, how the current government is approaching PR-refugees who have obtained their home country passport, particularly if they have traveled to their home country, is largely unknown.

For a PR-refugee who has applied for citizenship and whose history is comparable to that reported by shahbj, which is to say some travel to home country but not for extended time periods, not frequently, there is reason to hope. Waiting, and avoiding any international traveling while waiting, may be the best approach for such individuals.

My sense, my guess, and really just a guess, is that if an application for cessation has not yet been made, there is a very good chance the government will not initiate cessation proceedings (again, in the minimal travel home scenario) against a PR-refugee who already has a citizenship application pending. But I must emphasize this is just a guess, just a guess.

For any PR-refugee who does not already have a citizenship application pending, the safest course to take is to at least wait for awhile, to wait until there are more definitive indicators about how this government is approaching this issue:
-- to wait before applying for citizenship;
-- to wait before applying for a new PR card (remember, as long as the PR remains in Canada, it is OK to let one's PR card expire and no need to obtain a new PR card);
-- to wait before traveling abroad again
-- to wait before renewing the home country passport

Otherwise, consult with an experienced lawyer, a lawyer experienced in refugee law, and even then be sure the lawyer is familiar with the cessation cases resulting from the 2012 change in law.

In-depth Observations and Some Historical Background:

Inferences based on Federal Court decisions:

My sense is that it is too soon to discern trends based on the number of Federal Court decisions.

From the date of the RPD decision to the date of a Federal Court decision, these cases take many months, typically approaching a year, so any cases which might reach a conclusion in the last four months, or during the next several months, would still be RPD decisions made while Minister Alexander and Minister Blaney were, respectively, at the helms of CIC and Public Safety, and indeed many months prior to their departure. And that does not account for the timeline regarding applications for cessation made under their watch, some of which may not have yet been concluded in the RPD let alone appealed (I do not know the cessation proceedings timeline, from application to decision by RPD).

That is to say, just because there have not been so many Federal Court decisions recently indicates little about how IRCC and Public Safety are approaching cessation issues since the Liberals formed the government.

Note too that several of the Federal Court decisions we have seen are not even about final RPD decisions: in the Bermudez and other cases, for example, they challenge just the decision to make the application. So their cases have not even reached the RPD hearing and decision phase.

There is also the major hurdle that there is NO right of appeal. Recourse is to make an application for judicial review: that is, the decision by the RPD is final unless the affected refugee asks permission to appeal, and the Federal Court grants leave. Thus, many affected refugees may have lost and sought judicial review, but been denied without a hearing in the Federal Court. There will be no published Federal Court decisions for these cases.

Lack of Right of Appeal:

As I have stated elsewhere, more than a few times, rather emphatically on occasion, among the most important and severe, if not outright egregious changes to the law, as adopted and implemented by the Conservatives during the four years Harper had a majority government, was restricting and in some matters stripping the right of appeal. This has been especially draconian in the refugee law. It was also part of Bill C-24, pursuant to which applicants denied a grant of citizenship no longer have a right of appeal.

Thus, for example, prior to last year there was a steady stream of Federal Court decisions in citizenship cases, including thirty or forty a year for appeals filed by applicants denied citizenship. Not only did those cases provide important oversight and review for the individuals involved, they provided the public generally with real information about how CIC and Citizenship Judges were assessing and deciding citizenship applications.

Even though I was closely following developments related to Bill C-24, and reading almost every citizenship case published by the Federal Court (going back six or seven years now), and closely following all the criticisms published and posted about Bill C-24, I did not recognize the impact of new section 22.1 in the Citizenship Act until the latter part of just last year, even though these provisions took effect August 1, 2014.

Critics seem to have been too busy railing nonsense about the Intent to Reside clause to have noticed the real and profound impact of Section 22.1 in the Citizenship Act. And my excuse is that I am not a Canadian lawyer and did not immediately recognize the difference between applications for leave to appeal versus a right of appeal.

In any event, suddenly the stream of Federal Court decisions in citizenship cases on appeal dwindled dramatically; but more than that, suddenly the ratio of appeals by the Minister outnumbered those by applicants by a huge margin, at least five to one. Previously the number of decisions published from appeals by applicants significantly outnumbered those for appeals by the Minister.

Initially I thought perhaps the Minister was simply being more aggressive in pursuing appeals when CJs approved applicants, but then I recognized the extent to which there were very few new decisions in cases brought by applicants, and ONLY then did I realize the significance of the language in section 22.1(1), stating that an application for judicial review could be made only with leave of the Court -- with a huge exception, per subsection 22.1(3), giving the Minister the right of appeal.

That is, after August 1, 2014 (when section 22.1 came into force), the Minister's objections to a CJ's decision still automatically get review, and unless the appeal is withdrawn there will be a formal, officially published decision by the Federal Court. In contrast, the majority, the vast majority of applicants' objections to a CJ's negative decision will be summarily denied, no hearing in the Federal Court, no formal, officially published decision to inform either the applicant or the public why.

This governs mandamus actions, and decisions by the Minister to terminate or deny citizenship for reasons other than residency, in addition to CJ decisions.

The Conservative government implemented even more draconian restrictions on the right of review in matters regarding refugees.

I have not followed refugee issues much at all. I glance at many of the Federal Court decisions, but usually only enough to confirm they are about refugee claims not PR or citizenship (week to week I review all the new Federal Court decisions in which the Minister of CIC/IRCC or the Minister of Public Safety, is a party; the vast majority of these are related to refugee claims, and again I just glance at these enough to see whether there are PR or citizenship issues involved). I only began following and researching cessation because of its impact in some citizenship cases. I am still just learning about the implications of the changes the Conservatives adopted. Frankly, some are jaw-dropping draconian if not simply inhumane.

I did not even realize that IRPA had expanded grounds for termination of PR status until last year. I had seen NO one post anything about the change in any of the forums I follow. No media discussion about it. I was well familiar with Section 46 in IRPA and over the years had oft stated that a PR remained a PR unless and until they became a citizen or there was a formal final decision terminating their PR status. I often overlooked section 46(1)(d) in the version in force prior to December 2012, regarding the vacating of refugee status, but when being more careful I vaguely referenced this additional reason related to refugees.

Although I occasionally, but not always, added a vague, passing acknowledgement that there was the additional ground applicable for some refugees, I omitted this more often than I included reference to it. Overall, however, in restating the only ways PR status was lost, over the course of many years (in posts I made here and in other forums), again NO one clarified or corrected me. (I make mistakes, and I beg to be corrected, I appreciate being informed when I am wrong; the objective, after all, is to get it as right as we can.)

But then along came the Ovalle mandamus decision. Which led me to start this topic back in early August last year, more than two years after the Conservative government had begun what really was, in many ways, a purge ("purge" may be overstating it some, but not by a whole lot). And then, with a little analysis aided by some other Federal Court decisions, I ascertained the import of the addition of subsection 46(1)(c.1) to IRPA in December 2012. Only a little research was necessary to recognize the profound impact of this change in the law.

And it answered one of the more perplexing mysteries about long delays for some citizenship applicants who had not been issued RQ. More than a few of these were cases in which CIC put the citizenship application on the shelf while referring the applicant for potential cessation proceedings.

In the meantime, recourse for refugees in the event of a negative decision had been restricted and in some ways eliminated.

I am still unraveling this stuff. The importance of foreclosing any H&C consideration in the cessation process looms really large because any H&C application is apparently precluded for a full year after the cessation decision. Moreover, there is, apparently, no PRRA (Pre-Removal Risk Assessment) available. Thus, in turn, no administrative or judicial review of the PRRA, since there is no PRRA to review.

All this was done (so Harper and company asserted) so that those who managed to get their feet in Canada, and then commenced a refugee claim, could be physically deported upon their claim being denied without stalling their physical deportation for years and years of protracted litigation.

And apparently this truncated procedure applies to those whose status is ceased in cessation proceedings. No matter how long they have been in Canada, how many children or even grandchildren have been born to them in Canada, with no regard for what danger or hardships they will face upon being physically deported, no consideration for the extent to which they have become contributing members of the Canadian community.

And the CARL brief reveals that the Harper government set a target to deport at least 875 such individuals per year.

In regards to the need to get permission to appeal:

In retrospect it is not surprising we saw so many cessation decisions in the Federal Court last year: cessation of PRs was new, its applicability strict, and its consequences obviously severe, so the Federal Courts would have been remiss to not give permission, to give leave to appeal. But now many aspects of what the law is and how it is being applied have been decided, so there is no need or even a basis for the Federal Court to give leave to many of those affected unless a new legal issue is presented.

Additionally, it may be that given the number of cases in which the Federal Courts certified questions in the early batch of cessation cases decided, that further appeals are sitting in limbo waiting for there to be definitive decisions from the Federal Court of Appeal. So we are not seeing those cases finally decided, as yet. In this regard, any of those cases which might turn on whether H&C reasons can be considered in either deciding to make the cessation application or in the RPD's decision, might now be disposed of without a Federal Court hearing or published decision -- this assumes that indeed the Federal Court of Appeal has affirmed that there is no H&C consideration in cessation determinations (the article which references CARL's brief suggests this decision has been made, as you also said sopranotb a few days ago; I still have not been able to put my cursor on the decision itself).

Ultimately we still do NOT know.

To clarify what we do not know:

We do not know:

-- whether or to what extent IRCC is screening PR-refugees looking for indications of re-availment
-- -- and if IRCC is still doing such screening, what criteria they are employing
-- -- or how aggressively they are pursuing cessation

-- how IRCC or the Minister of Public Safety is approaching RPD cessation decisions already made, either as to those for which appeal applications are pending or otherwise

-- how IRCC or the Minister of Public Safety is approaching applications for cessation commenced by the prior government but not yet decided by the RPD

And it is very difficult to guess how long it will be before there is any definitive indication how this is going to go in the near future.

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
dpenabill said:
That we do NOT know warrants emphasis.

The law itself entails very harsh results if enforced on its face. There are at least some indicators enforcement has not abated let alone ceased.

The shahbj report, in contrast, suggests good reason to hope that IRCC may no longer be targeting citizenship applicants, or at least not leaning toward enforcing a strict approach in applying the presumption of re-availment.

But again, how the current government is approaching PR-refugees who have obtained their home country passport, particularly if they have traveled to their home country, is largely unknown.

For a PR-refugee who has applied for citizenship and whose history is comparable to that reported by shahbj, which is to say some travel to home country but not for extended time periods, not frequently, there is reason to hope. Waiting, and avoiding any international traveling while waiting, may be the best approach for such individuals.

My sense, my guess, and really just a guess, is that if an application for cessation has not yet been made, there is a very good chance the government will not initiate cessation proceedings (again, in the minimal travel home scenario) against a PR-refugee who already has a citizenship application pending. But I must emphasize this is just a guess, just a guess.

For any PR-refugee who does not already have a citizenship application pending, the safest course to take is to at least wait for awhile, to wait until there are more definitive indicators about how this government is approaching this issue:
-- to wait before applying for citizenship;
-- to wait before applying for a new PR card (remember, as long as the PR remains in Canada, it is OK to let one's PR card expire and no need to obtain a new PR card);
-- to wait before traveling abroad again
-- to wait before renewing the home country passport

Otherwise, consult with an experienced lawyer, a lawyer experienced in refugee law, and even then be sure the lawyer is familiar with the cessation cases resulting from the 2012 change in law.

In-depth Observations and Some Historical Background:

Inferences based on Federal Court decisions:

My sense is that it is too soon to discern trends based on the number of Federal Court decisions.

From the date of the RPD decision to the date of a Federal Court decision, these cases take many months, typically approaching a year, so any cases which might reach a conclusion in the last four months, or during the next several months, would still be RPD decisions made while Minister Alexander and Minister Blaney were, respectively, at the helms of CIC and Public Safety, and indeed many months prior to their departure. And that does not account for the timeline regarding applications for cessation made under their watch, some of which may not have yet been concluded in the RPD let alone appealed (I do not know the cessation proceedings timeline, from application to decision by RPD).

That is to say, just because there have not been so many Federal Court decisions recently indicates little about how IRCC and Public Safety are approaching cessation issues since the Liberals formed the government.

Note too that several of the Federal Court decisions we have seen are not even about final RPD decisions: in the Bermudez and other cases, for example, they challenge just the decision to make the application. So their cases have not even reached the RPD hearing and decision phase.

There is also the major hurdle that there is NO right of appeal. Recourse is to make an application for judicial review: that is, the decision by the RPD is final unless the affected refugee asks permission to appeal, and the Federal Court grants leave. Thus, many affected refugees may have lost and sought judicial review, but been denied without a hearing in the Federal Court. There will be no published Federal Court decisions for these cases.

Lack of Right of Appeal:

As I have stated elsewhere, more than a few times, rather emphatically on occasion, among the most important and severe, if not outright egregious changes to the law, as adopted and implemented by the Conservatives during the four years Harper had a majority government, was restricting and in some matters stripping the right of appeal. This has been especially draconian in the refugee law. It was also part of Bill C-24, pursuant to which applicants denied a grant of citizenship no longer have a right of appeal.

Thus, for example, prior to last year there was a steady stream of Federal Court decisions in citizenship cases, including thirty or forty a year for appeals filed by applicants denied citizenship. Not only did those cases provide important oversight and review for the individuals involved, they provided the public generally with real information about how CIC and Citizenship Judges were assessing and deciding citizenship applications.

Even though I was closely following developments related to Bill C-24, and reading almost every citizenship case published by the Federal Court (going back six or seven years now), and closely following all the criticisms published and posted about Bill C-24, I did not recognize the impact of new section 22.1 in the Citizenship Act until the latter part of just last year, even though these provisions took effect August 1, 2014.

Critics seem to have been too busy railing nonsense about the Intent to Reside clause to have noticed the real and profound impact of Section 22.1 in the Citizenship Act. And my excuse is that I am not a Canadian lawyer and did not immediately recognize the difference between applications for leave to appeal versus a right of appeal.

In any event, suddenly the stream of Federal Court decisions in citizenship cases on appeal dwindled dramatically; but more than that, suddenly the ratio of appeals by the Minister outnumbered those by applicants by a huge margin, at least five to one. Previously the number of decisions published from appeals by applicants significantly outnumbered those for appeals by the Minister.

Initially I thought perhaps the Minister was simply being more aggressive in pursuing appeals when CJs approved applicants, but then I recognized the extent to which there were very few new decisions in cases brought by applicants, and ONLY then did I realize the significance of the language in section 22.1(1), stating that an application for judicial review could be made only with leave of the Court -- with a huge exception, per subsection 22.1(3), giving the Minister the right of appeal.

That is, after August 1, 2014 (when section 22.1 came into force), the Minister's objections to a CJ's decision still automatically get review, and unless the appeal is withdrawn there will be a formal, officially published decision by the Federal Court. In contrast, the majority, the vast majority of applicants' objections to a CJ's negative decision will be summarily denied, no hearing in the Federal Court, no formal, officially published decision to inform either the applicant or the public why.

This governs mandamus actions, and decisions by the Minister to terminate or deny citizenship for reasons other than residency, in addition to CJ decisions.

The Conservative government implemented even more draconian restrictions on the right of review in matters regarding refugees.

I have not followed refugee issues much at all. I glance at many of the Federal Court decisions, but usually only enough to confirm they are about refugee claims not PR or citizenship (week to week I review all the new Federal Court decisions in which the Minister of CIC/IRCC or the Minister of Public Safety, is a party; the vast majority of these are related to refugee claims, and again I just glance at these enough to see whether there are PR or citizenship issues involved). I only began following and researching cessation because of its impact in some citizenship cases. I am still just learning about the implications of the changes the Conservatives adopted. Frankly, some are jaw-dropping draconian if not simply inhumane.

I did not even realize that IRPA had expanded grounds for termination of PR status until last year. I had seen NO one post anything about the change in any of the forums I follow. No media discussion about it. I was well familiar with Section 46 in IRPA and over the years had oft stated that a PR remained a PR unless and until they became a citizen or there was a formal final decision terminating their PR status. I often overlooked section 46(1)(d) in the version in force prior to December 2012, regarding the vacating of refugee status, but when being more careful I vaguely referenced this additional reason related to refugees.

Although I occasionally, but not always, added a vague, passing acknowledgement that there was the additional ground applicable for some refugees, I omitted this more often than I included reference to it. Overall, however, in restating the only ways PR status was lost, over the course of many years (in posts I made here and in other forums), again NO one clarified or corrected me. (I make mistakes, and I beg to be corrected, I appreciate being informed when I am wrong; the objective, after all, is to get it as right as we can.)

But then along came the Ovalle mandamus decision. Which led me to start this topic back in early August last year, more than two years after the Conservative government had begun what really was, in many ways, a purge ("purge" may be overstating it some, but not by a whole lot). And then, with a little analysis aided by some other Federal Court decisions, I ascertained the import of the addition of subsection 46(1)(c.1) to IRPA in December 2012. Only a little research was necessary to recognize the profound impact of this change in the law.

And it answered one of the more perplexing mysteries about long delays for some citizenship applicants who had not been issued RQ. More than a few of these were cases in which CIC put the citizenship application on the shelf while referring the applicant for potential cessation proceedings.

In the meantime, recourse for refugees in the event of a negative decision had been restricted and in some ways eliminated.

I am still unraveling this stuff. The importance of foreclosing any H&C consideration in the cessation process looms really large because any H&C application is apparently precluded for a full year after the cessation decision. Moreover, there is, apparently, no PRRA (Pre-Removal Risk Assessment) available. Thus, in turn, no administrative or judicial review of the PRRA, since there is no PRRA to review.

All this was done (so Harper and company asserted) so that those who managed to get their feet in Canada, and then commenced a refugee claim, could be physically deported upon their claim being denied without stalling their physical deportation for years and years of protracted litigation.

And apparently this truncated procedure applies to those whose status is ceased in cessation proceedings. No matter how long they have been in Canada, how many children or even grandchildren have been born to them in Canada, with no regard for what danger or hardships they will face upon being physically deported, no consideration for the extent to which they have become contributing members of the Canadian community.

And the CARL brief reveals that the Harper government set a target to deport at least 875 such individuals per year.

In regards to the need to get permission to appeal:

In retrospect it is not surprising we saw so many cessation decisions in the Federal Court last year: cessation of PRs was new, its applicability strict, and its consequences obviously severe, so the Federal Courts would have been remiss to not give permission, to give leave to appeal. But now many aspects of what the law is and how it is being applied have been decided, so there is no need or even a basis for the Federal Court to give leave to many of those affected unless a new legal issue is presented.

Additionally, it may be that given the number of cases in which the Federal Courts certified questions in the early batch of cessation cases decided, that further appeals are sitting in limbo waiting for there to be definitive decisions from the Federal Court of Appeal. So we are not seeing those cases finally decided, as yet. In this regard, any of those cases which might turn on whether H&C reasons can be considered in either deciding to make the cessation application or in the RPD's decision, might now be disposed of without a Federal Court hearing or published decision -- this assumes that indeed the Federal Court of Appeal has affirmed that there is no H&C consideration in cessation determinations (the article which references CARL's brief suggests this decision has been made, as you also said sopranotb a few days ago; I still have not been able to put my cursor on the decision itself).

Ultimately we still do NOT know.

To clarify what we do not know:

We do not know:

-- whether or to what extent IRCC is screening PR-refugees looking for indications of re-availment
-- -- and if IRCC is still doing such screening, what criteria they are employing
-- -- or how aggressively they are pursuing cessation

-- how IRCC or the Minister of Public Safety is approaching RPD cessation decisions already made, either as to those for which appeal applications are pending or otherwise

-- how IRCC or the Minister of Public Safety is approaching applications for cessation commenced by the prior government but not yet decided by the RPD

And it is very difficult to guess how long it will be before there is any definitive indication how this is going to go in the near future.
What? My understanding was that everyone has the right to appeal negative RPD decision at federal court, now you say not all are allowed to appeal RPD decision at federal court? wy some people allowed others not? I cannot understand this one..

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
sopranotb said:
What? My understanding was that everyone has the right to appeal negative RPD decision at federal court, now you say not all are allowed to appeal RPD decision at federal court? wy some people allowed others not? I cannot understand this one..

To appeal now, the PR-refugee who has received a negative RPD decision for cessation of status must make an application for leave for judicial review. That is, the affected person may ask the Federal Court for permission to appeal. The criteria for granting leave are described in the law, but I have not researched this.

In particular, in addition to not being a Canadian lawyer, and not being an expert, and especially not being that familiar with the particular procedures in refugee matters, or the RPD, or RAD, in addition to all that I have not researched the procedural aspects of cessation proceedings.

In the CARL brief, in the list of items describing the "new law" as fundamentally unfair, item (1) states:

"The Cessation decision is made by a member of the Immigration and Refugee Board. The person loses both protected person status and permanent residence with no right of appeal. Their only recourse is a leave application for judicial review. There is no statutory stay, and they are therefore immediately removable from Canada." (emphasis added)

With "no right of appeal . . . only recourse is a leave application."

Typically I would research the primary law source itself to verify this. But for this I have not (not yet, takes time and effort of course). But the CARL description is consistent with what I understand was changed by the Conservatives, and it is consistent with how they changed procedure in citizenship application cases as well.

This was touted as a big part of a movement toward more efficient processing, as so many so ardently demand. (It is always a good idea to ask at-what-cost? before buying in; of course, the Harper government was no interested in who would buy in or not, no amendments to their legislation was allowed.)

That there is no right-of-appeal does not mean no access at all to judicial review. There is a right to ask for leave, in essence to ask for the Federal Court's permission to appeal. Such requests may be (and I believe they are indeed often) summarily denied unless the application for leave presents a compelling case.

Until the last year or so I did not fully grasp the difference between being able to apply for leave to appeal and the right to appeal. This is why I went into depth regarding the taking away of the right to appeal in citizenship cases: this illustrated, to me, the difference, and the importance of a right to appeal.

The problem is that the law, as is, can either lead to excessively harsh outcomes for large numbers of PR-refugees who have spent many years establishing a life in Canada, or if not aggressively enforced, it will almost certainly lead to enforcement against some even if not against many, and when this happens the tendency for unfair or even outright discriminatory enforcement is high, who gets the hammer versus who sails smoothly into citizenship is subject to the personal discretion of a total stranger bureaucrat, with no right of appeal.

These are changes which are not easily untangled or reversed. Nine years of Harper, four under an authoritarian-run majority, has done a lot of damage. A single four year term under Trudeau's Liberals will not be able to do more than merely begin repairing the damage done.

sopranotb

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Now after federal court of appeal said no to cbsa/cic officer discretions for h&c considerations.. i have a question here does RPD has discretion to consider h&c or no?.. Can RPD also consider other factors like degree of establishment in Canada..etc..?.

CANADAPATRIOT

Star Member
Feb 28, 2016
Well if applicant was refugee at any point then he/she better be prepared for severe delay because refugees are never invited and sort of like a unwanted guest. Only exception is recent Syrian refugees.