+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Thanks for those words. I applied for a PR card because i assumed I'm still entitled to one and it is valid for 5 years within which 5 years i have a right to travel as any other pr. It can also be used in conjunction with a refugee travel document. Besides there is nothing new. If a case has already been opened against me then its the same info and same office. Can they make cessation proceedings twice? Makes no sense. If they have not, then well they still got thr same info i already declared that i went to my home country on citizen application and have been grilled about it already
To be honest I've now opened my mind and prepared for the possibility of cessation so it shouldn't come as an alarm if and when it does. However what is there to remember is that the atip report doesn't say suspended..and anything in which CBSA is involved requires photocopies of all pages of the passport, which was not requested, unless that stage is yet to come. Who knows? We are just guessing. I also declared i was out of the country for a little over 6 months (not to my home country) and i failed to obtain police clearance for that country. Perhaps that could put application on hold pending that..not sure. Shouldn't any action or requests being undertaken by IRCC with CBSA or RPD show up on the notes? I thought the notes are thorough.
Definitely precautions need to be taken. I agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: ertugrul

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
As for a lawyer, i feel it would make more sense to acquire one should proceedings of cessation be brought against me. More prudent. Besides at this point they cannot change anything nor can they advise on action to take on my side. Because nothing is required of me yet by IRCC

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Who knows? We are just guessing. I also declared i was out of the country for a little over 6 months (not to my home country) and i failed to obtain police clearance for that country. Perhaps that could put application on hold pending that..not sure. Shouldn't any action or requests being undertaken by IRCC with CBSA or RPD show up on the notes? I thought the notes are thorough.
We do not know. That's true.

We are not just guessing, however, but surveying more or less likely probabilities based on known information and some key facts. There is a big gap between having some idea about what could be happening and knowing with confidence, but that is more than merely guessing.

BUT yes, the failure to obtain a police clearance for a country you were in for more than six months could also be among the 'usual suspects,' as one might say, for a delay in processing, including a "hold." There could be a referral pending to CSIS or an overseas visa office to verify there are no prohibitions. That said, if you have affirmed there are no criminal convictions or charges pending in any country, and they have not requested a police certificate from that country, not sure that suggests a "hold."

Which leads to . . .
"Shouldn't any action or requests being undertaken by IRCC with CBSA or RPD show up on the notes? I thought the notes are thorough."​

No, the copy of GCMS notes sent to citizenship applicants is far, far from thorough. This is something that I have often emphasized. I am not sure how familiar you are with data base software, and of course I am not particularly familiar with the actual data base software used in conjunction with GCMS, but even the most rudimentary data base software uses 'fields' of information, and facilitates generating various types of "reports" based on template-like report formats, generating different reports that are populated by selected fields of information . . . and we are aware, for example, that how GCMS populates some fields in the report copy shared with clients is coded, including some default codes, some null fields even if in the data base itself there is information populating that field, and generally that more than a little information is NOT shared.

There are other topics in this forum where there is more than a little discussion about interpreting client shared GCMS notes. To me this is akin to reading tea leaves. Some of the information, and its meaning, is clear. But that is almost always information the applicant knows or with a little reasoning could easily figure out without obtaining the GCMS notes. Some of the information is, again, coded, and sometimes this is cryptic, vague, indefinite, or as I indicated, some is a default code and thus not indicating much about the applicant's file.

There are reasons for requesting GCMS notes. So I do not entirely dismiss the efficacy of requesting them. BUT generally, in most cases, they are rather uninformative and a wasted effort.

Which brings this around to the note or entry that indicates processing your application is on "hold." Versus, say, "suspended."

This could lead to a tangent way off into the weeds. But, for now, suffice it to acknowledge that there appears to be a great deal of leeway and discretion to simply NOT be processing an application while waiting on another government entity's action . . . such as waiting on a referral to CBSA or Public Safety to decide whether to pursue cessation. This may not fit the provisions which the Harper government added (part of Bill C-24 as I recall) to the Citizenship Act specifically giving CIC/IRCC authority to "suspend" processing applications in regards to certain types of pending inquiries or determinations (mostly having to do with either security issues or prohibitions). But there is still NO provision which imposes any kind of timeline, or any provision prohibiting IRCC from sitting on an application pending this or that determination with no schedule or timeline for making that determination.

And it is not likely the generic GCMS records request will illuminate much, if anything, about this, including whether this is happening or something else is happening.

It is possible to make a customized request for personal information which MIGHT reveal significantly more information. If it was known that lawyers were experienced and skilled in doing this, that would be a reason to go to a lawyer, so the lawyer could help do what might be called "discovery" in other adjudicatory contexts. I do not know if Canadian immigration lawyers do this sort of thing or are any good at doing it. Not much suggests optimism in this regard.

Bottom-line, regarding the GCMS notes, NO, they are NOT thorough, and are not a particularly useful source of information.

"I applied for a PR card because i assumed I'm still entitled to one and it is valid for 5 years within which 5 years i have a right to travel as any other pr. It can also be used in conjunction with a refugee travel document. Besides there is nothing new. If a case has already been opened against me then its the same info and same office. Can they make cessation proceedings twice? Makes no sense. If they have not, then well they still got thr same info i already declared that i went to my home country on citizen application and have been grilled about it already"​

There is a difference between having a right to travel versus engaging in activities which might increase the risk of triggering negative actions. Yes, a PR card can be used in conjunction with a refugee travel document. And THAT IS THE ONLY TRAVEL DOCUMENT a refugee should be using to travel abroad (note the PR card is not really a travel document; it is a status document). The thing to avoid, to really, really avoid, is using the home country passport for travel to anywhere. Presenting the home country passport to a country upon entering that country is an overt act relying on the protection of the home country, otherwise referred to as "reavailment," as in grounds for cessation.

It is true that making the PR card application does not introduce any new facts or circumstances, and in the abstract does not change any elements in the equation.

And its done anyway; application made. No need to wrestle with whether or not, or to what extent, a new transaction with IRCC (like applying for a new PR card) might lead to someone taking action on a file that was otherwise dormant. Or whether that risk is outweighed by a desire to get this sorted out, to find out what CBSA or Public Safety will decide to do (if there is indeed a referral for a cessation inquiry).

Note, it is NOT IRCC that decides whether to engage in a formal cessation investigation or commence cessation proceedings. That is either CBSA or Public Safety. All IRCC does is refer a case to CBSA or Public Safety, for that agency to make an inquiry and decide whether to formally investigate, and then to decide whether to initiate cessation proceedings.

Which finally brings this around to the right Canadians have to obtain copies of personal information held by government entities. The ATIP request process. I am hesitant to bring it up, largely because I lean toward a stay-below-the-radar approach, as much as possible, what others might describe as let-sleeping-dogs-lie. BUT if you really want to know if CBSA is investigating whether to pursue cessation, perhaps even some idea what stage of inquiry things are at, it MAY be possible (not sure, but to some extent possible) to submit a customized ATIP request to CBSA and get some real information. Doing this in a way which is likely to generate real information would NOT be easy. The request would need to be carefully composed in such a way it would require divulging related information which is not confidential. So it would be tricky. And, moreover, it would be, in a sense, poking-a-stick-at-the-beast (the "beast" being cessation).

You have made the PR card application. For now probably a good idea to wait to see how that goes. If you are issued and mailed a new PR card routinely, which these days appears to happen quite quickly, that could be a very good sign. Otherwise . . . well, there will be time to survey the road ahead if and when you arrive at that vantage point.

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Thanks dpenabill

I dont see any issue with the PR card from my point of view. There is no new facts or information. I have already faced a gruelling interview and there are no new discoveries. At best they will just give it to me and see what i want to use it for and then go from there. It would probably be a good bait for them so would be in their interest then.
I will let you know how it goes. My life has to continue.
To be honest i have gotten weary of waiting and will not make any more calls or inquiries. I will start preparing myself for any outcome. I find lawyers a waste of time and money until your status in Canada is evidently at risk. In my case i will wait for any such communication then seek legal advise. To date, 9 months after my test i have never recieved any such communication so let ignorance be bliss. I might be tempted though to get the CBSA notes out of curiosity. These took a pretty short time.

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
A quick update. My pr card was mailed to me. Hope this info benefits someone who may be in similar situation. Im sure the processing of pr cards is handled as a separate entity. Still hoping for the best with citizenship and will keep the forum updated.

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013
A quick update. My pr card was mailed to me. Hope this info benefits someone who may be in similar situation. Im sure the processing of pr cards is handled as a separate entity. Still hoping for the best with citizenship and will keep the forum updated.
Good news my friend. My citizenship app is pending since Feb 2018 and still no test invite. I never renewed my home country passport or anything but still they have blocked my immigration and security clearances.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Good news.

Moreover, even though it may be bit of a stretch, I'd take this as a GOOD sign. How much so is too difficult to guess.

While processing itself is separate, the inquiries and considerations are related and involve a fair amount of overlap. Much of the information seen in one is also seen in processing the other. There are, of course, different personnel engaged in different decision-making procedures relative to a PR card application versus a citizenship application. However, BOTH are still accessing and screening the SAME GCMS records. And they almost certainly do at least some cross-checking.

In particular, if cessation inquiries were actively underway, that would be readily seen in the client's GCMS records by any IRCC official working on ANY other application, including citizenship, a family class sponsorship application, or a PR card application.

So, may NOT be time yet to sound all-clear, but at least this is a signal somewhat suggesting no formal cessation action is underway, at least not yet.

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Good news my friend. My citizenship app is pending since Feb 2018 and still no test invite. I never renewed my home country passport or anything but still they have blocked my immigration and security clearances.
I wonder why that would be? Have you tried caĺling them or ordering GCMS notes

Kambs16

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Good news.

Moreover, even though it may be bit of a stretch, I'd take this as a GOOD sign. How much so is too difficult to guess.

While processing itself is separate, the inquiries and considerations are related and involve a fair amount of overlap. Much of the information seen in one is also seen in processing the other. There are, of course, different personnel engaged in different decision-making procedures relative to a PR card application versus a citizenship application. However, BOTH are still accessing and screening the SAME GCMS records. And they almost certainly do at least some cross-checking.

In particular, if cessation inquiries were actively underway, that would be readily seen in the client's GCMS records by any IRCC official working on ANY other application, including citizenship, a family class sponsorship application, or a PR card application.

So, may NOT be time yet to sound all-clear, but at least this is a signal somewhat suggesting no formal cessation action is underway, at least not yet.
Thanks. This is very good to know and bear in mind. Still hoping for thd best whenever

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Just posting a reference, citation, and link to a fairly recent Federal Court decision in a cessation case:

Pereira v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2019 FC 1413 http://canlii.ca/t/j3pd9

Since the outcome in this case is largely about and directly based on the particular facts in this individual's case, including repeatedly (approximately every five years) obtaining new passports from the home country, there is little that is remarkable about the case.

That said, it may be worth noting that this individual continued to obtain and use the home country passport AFTER receiving advice that this travel risked the loss of status, and then she actually continued to obtain another passport and use it for travel abroad AFTER she had received the cessation application. (There is some hint she may have been getting some rather bad advice.) Which of course became strong evidence controverting her claim she did not intend to reavail herself of the home country's protection. (Reminder: obtaining the home country passport alone creates a presumption of reavailment, which the refugee might rebut if the refugee can prove there was NO INTENT to avail oneself of the home country's protection.)

While there were three trips to the home country, which constitutes a separate bases for a finding of reavailment, these were not lengthy and were arguably for compelling reasons, and the Federal Court's decision did not turn on this factor . . . focusing as much if not more on her obtaining and using the passport to travel to other countries, including the U.S.

I cannot guess whether this represents the kind of case for which CBSA will be more aggressive or not. It seems consistent with the impression that it is indeed the more blatant, if not egregious instances (continuing to obtain another passport with a cessation proceeding already started is indeed a rather egregious factor), that are prosecuted. But whether that suggests a less aggressive posture toward less blatant situations is not clear.

Fnamavati

Apr 29, 2017
@dpenabill need your guidance on my current situation
I became protected person in 2015, got my PR. I never renewed my Home country passport nor did I travel anywhere. I applied for Citizenship grant in February 2019 and my application is in process since August 2019 I am waiting for Citizenship test and Oath. Looking at the current timeline I expect the decision to be made by February 2020.

I am now planning to get married in April 2020 in my Home country. Will there be any risk in my travelling to my Home country after I get my Canadian Passport for like 2 weeks for purpose of my marriage?

Appreciate your guidance as always. Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill need your guidance on my current situation
I became protected person in 2015, got my PR. I never renewed my Home country passport nor did I travel anywhere. I applied for Citizenship grant in February 2019 and my application is in process since August 2019 I am waiting for Citizenship test and Oath. Looking at the current timeline I expect the decision to be made by February 2020.

I am now planning to get married in April 2020 in my Home country. Will there be any risk in my travelling to my Home country after I get my Canadian Passport for like 2 weeks for purpose of my marriage?

Appreciate your guidance as always. Thanks
Reminder: I am NOT an expert and I am NOT qualified to give personal advice.

Once a PR-refugee becomes a citizen, which means AFTER taking the oath and being issued a certificate of citizenship, there is NO restriction on the citizen's travel abroad under Canadian law (except such restrictions as apply to all Canadian citizens . . . such as must present Canadian passport to board a flight coming to Canada, must properly apply for entry into Canada at a PoE when returning, and so on). So, once you have a Canadian passport there is no risk of cessation of status for reavailment . . . you will no longer be a refugee at that point since you will have Canadian citizenship and the protections that come with being a Canadian citizen.

Otherwise, if you fled your home country I assume there is much risk in returning there.

While there are some reports about PR-refugees facing loss of status based on misrepresentation grounds if subsequent behavior reveals information suggesting there may have been misrepresentations made in the refugee claim itself, such as misrepresentations about the danger or risk the individual was fleeing and therefore needed protection from, such reports about individuals after they become a citizen appear to be rare . . . but of course, misrepresentation in the process of becoming a refugee or PR, including as to the danger or risk the individual was fleeing, will always be grounds for revoking status in Canada, no matter how long the individual has been a citizen. Thus, for example, while there have been some isolated, rare reports about former refugee Canadian citizens being questioned by border officials, when it appears the former refugee is returning from a trip to a home country regarding which the individual claimed posed such a danger as to warrant a grant of refugee-protection (as in asking questions about whether there really was the danger or risk claimed), I have not seen any follow-up reports of the government proceeding to revoke the individual's citizenship (but citizenship revocation proceedings are largely out of the public view unless and until there is Federal Court litigation challenging the revocation, so it is near impossible to know how many such cases the government does pursue).

Fnamavati

Apr 29, 2017
Reminder: I am NOT an expert and I am NOT qualified to give personal advice.

Once a PR-refugee becomes a citizen, which means AFTER taking the oath and being issued a certificate of citizenship, there is NO restriction on the citizen's travel abroad under Canadian law (except such restrictions as apply to all Canadian citizens . . . such as must present Canadian passport to board a flight coming to Canada, must properly apply for entry into Canada at a PoE when returning, and so on). So, once you have a Canadian passport there is no risk of cessation of status for reavailment . . . you will no longer be a refugee at that point since you will have Canadian citizenship and the protections that come with being a Canadian citizen.

Otherwise, if you fled your home country I assume there is much risk in returning there.

While there are some reports about PR-refugees facing loss of status based on misrepresentation grounds if subsequent behavior reveals information suggesting there may have been misrepresentations made in the refugee claim itself, such as misrepresentations about the danger or risk the individual was fleeing and therefore needed protection from, such reports about individuals after they become a citizen appear to be rare . . . but of course, misrepresentation in the process of becoming a refugee or PR, including as to the danger or risk the individual was fleeing, will always be grounds for revoking status in Canada, no matter how long the individual has been a citizen. Thus, for example, while there have been some isolated, rare reports about former refugee Canadian citizens being questioned by border officials, when it appears the former refugee is returning from a trip to a home country regarding which the individual claimed posed such a danger as to warrant a grant of refugee-protection (as in asking questions about whether there really was the danger or risk claimed), I have not seen any follow-up reports of the government proceeding to revoke the individual's citizenship (but citizenship revocation proceedings are largely out of the public view unless and until there is Federal Court litigation challenging the revocation, so it is near impossible to know how many such cases the government does pursue).
@dpenabill thank you!

shyness

Mar 14, 2014
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
jan 2010
File Transfer...
jan 2015
Med's Request
jan 2015
Interview........
11/02/2016
LANDED..........
30-06-2016
I promise to update since im a refugee/pr who apply for citizenship,renewed passport an travel on it but not to my country of origin..had my test on 7th jan 2019..officer did not asked me any thing abt my passport only about my family...today i got descision made..i was very skeptical about that since i had read this forum thanks an good luck to everyone...

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013
I promise to update since im a refugee/pr who apply for citizenship,renewed passport an travel on it but not to my country of origin..had my test on 7th jan 2019..officer did not asked me any thing abt my passport only about my family...today i got descision made..i was very skeptical about that since i had read this forum thanks an good luck to everyone...
Congratulations.

Did you travel to your home country using the home passport?

Reactions: shyness