+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

NonaArso

Dec 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good morning :)

I'm a protected person and I never traveled back to my home country or renew my passport, but I did use it to travel twice to a third country where they don't accept refugee travel documents (Arabic countries).

When I received my COPR, I remember asking the officer from CBSA when she returned my original passport and other documents, if I can travel with my passport, she said of course you can travel with it but do not go back to your home country.

I'm really confused.. should I worry? o_O
An update on my application...

I've applied for citizenship and passed my test and interview last week, to be honest I was worried because I traveled using my home country passport but everything was good and the officer didn't even ask me or mention this subject. I got DM the next day :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
An update on my application...

I've applied for citizenship and passed my test and interview last week, to be honest I was worried because I traveled using my home country passport but everything was good and the officer didn't even ask me or mention this subject. I got DM the next day :)
Congratulations and thank you for the report.

Some General Observations:

Your report is positive news for those in a similar situation. But it always appeared the odds were favourable in your situation . . . some risk, but not nearly the extent of risk many others have.

In particular, since you did not travel to the home country, your report does not reveal much about how these things are going for those who have traveled to the home country. The combination of obtaining and using a home country passport, and traveling to the home country, is clearly the bigger risk factor.

Indeed, it could be that those who have not traveled to the home country actually have very low risk.

In contrast, we still do not know much about the actual extent of the risk for those who have traveled to the home country, other than to say it still appears there is good reason to be HOPEFUL for those who have not frequently traveled to the home country, or who have NOT spent extended periods of time in the home country.

It may also be worth noting that in revisiting what has been reported, it is not clear whether you obtained or renewed the home country passport AFTER obtaining protected person status in Canada. When the passport was obtained could be a significant factor.

Just having used the passport after obtaining protected status is probably, potentially, a negative factor, but how much so we do not know. My impression is that the combination of obtaining and using a home country passport is more significant.

Nonetheless, this was great news for you and positive news for others in a similar place. Again, Congratulations!

NonaArso

Dec 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations and thank you for the report.

Some General Observations:

Your report is positive news for those in a similar situation. But it always appeared the odds were favourable in your situation . . . some risk, but not nearly the extent of risk many others have.

In particular, since you did not travel to the home country, your report does not reveal much about how these things are going for those who have traveled to the home country. The combination of obtaining and using a home country passport, and traveling to the home country, is clearly the bigger risk factor.

Indeed, it could be that those who have not traveled to the home country actually have very low risk.

In contrast, we still do not know much about the actual extent of the risk for those who have traveled to the home country, other than to say it still appears there is good reason to be HOPEFUL for those who have not frequently traveled to the home country, or who have NOT spent extended periods of time in the home country.

It may also be worth noting that in revisiting what has been reported, it is not clear whether you obtained or renewed the home country passport AFTER obtaining protected person status in Canada. When the passport was obtained could be a significant factor.

Just having used the passport after obtaining protected status is probably, potentially, a negative factor, but how much so we do not know. My impression is that the combination of obtaining and using a home country passport is more significant.

Nonetheless, this was great news for you and positive news for others in a similar place. Again, Congratulations!
Thank you :);)

marcrovich

Jul 25, 2018
I'm not sure if it's the right place to post this question but I hope fellow members could answer that specially it's the title of the topic.
Question is: If I'm a refugee with PR applying for citizenship. is the processing time take like everybody else? or faster/longer?
anybody would like to share his timeline? (When he applied for citizenship, when he got it)
Thanks!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I'm not sure if it's the right place to post this question but I hope fellow members could answer that specially it's the title of the topic.
Question is: If I'm a refugee with PR applying for citizenship. is the processing time take like everybody else? or faster/longer?
anybody would like to share his timeline? (When he applied for citizenship, when he got it)
Thanks!
Citizenship process remains the same for everyone regardless of how one obtained PR.

Kiven

Aug 16, 2018
Thanks for you very rich and insightful analysis about cessation of refugee status. I am a protected person for about a year and half now. Application for PR was made on Nov 2016. i was called for Medicals and had police reports requested in April 2017. I my status since changed to passed the medical and still in process.

The Problem. I am XXXnian, with a Canadian Refugee travel document that i obtained, i applied for a YYYnian visa, visited country YYYY for a bit and the crossed to country XXXX, period is about 6weeks (my ticket justified that). after an extensive interview with a border officer she found some pictures in my and their location put me country XXXX. Also they found texts to some aunts saying i will be in country XXXX for that period and the found texts to some friends saying we should meet up. i arrived via montreal but jurisdiction is vancouver.

Based on this the border officer said they where going to file for cessation of my status. My XXXXnaian passport is still in their keeping. She said they were going to send me a letter informing me. its been about 2.5 months now.. i dont know what to expect.

Based on your wittiness in this issues can you advise me what my stakes are? I am mindful of the fact that no two cases are same and i know judges are not very predictable.

Please shed the most light you can on what i can expect. Also if you can touch on time lines i will be very grateful. i am really in pain and so disturbed

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thanks for you very rich and insightful analysis about cessation of refugee status. I am a protected person for about a year and half now. Application for PR was made on Nov 2016. i was called for Medicals and had police reports requested in April 2017. I my status since changed to passed the medical and still in process.

The Problem. I am XXXnian, with a Canadian Refugee travel document that i obtained, i applied for a YYYnian visa, visited country YYYY for a bit and the crossed to country XXXX, period is about 6weeks (my ticket justified that). after an extensive interview with a border officer she found some pictures in my and their location put me country XXXX. Also they found texts to some aunts saying i will be in country XXXX for that period and the found texts to some friends saying we should meet up. i arrived via montreal but jurisdiction is vancouver.

Based on this the border officer said they where going to file for cessation of my status. My XXXXnaian passport is still in their keeping. She said they were going to send me a letter informing me. its been about 2.5 months now.. i dont know what to expect.

Based on your wittiness in this issues can you advise me what my stakes are? I am mindful of the fact that no two cases are same and i know judges are not very predictable.

Please shed the most light you can on what i can expect. Also if you can touch on time lines i will be very grateful. i am really in pain and so disturbed
It is rather unfortunate that you got caught being in XXXX that you are a refugee from. With them holding on to your passport, it just doesn't sound good. Only time will tell what they will say in their letter when they send it. You basically took a huge gamble on your refugee PR status by entering your country and it didn't work out as well as you thought.

Last edited:

Kiven

Aug 16, 2018
It is rather unfortunate that you got caught being in XXXX that you are a refugee from. With them holding on to your passport, it just doesn't sound good. Only time will tell what they will say in their letter when they send it. You basically took a huge gamble on your refugee PR status by entering your country and it didn't work out as well as you thought.
They had the passport since i applied for refugee... i am not yet pr..

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
They had the passport since i applied for refugee... i am not yet pr..
Sorry for misreading your post. To be honest I am not sure what they will do with your file now. They have likely recorded this information about your trip in your refugee application file. This may or may not affect your outcome of getting PR status on account that you returned to your native country that you were supposedly fleeing from.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

As I have said elsewhere, cessation is serious.

What we know in general is discussed at length in previous posts in this topic. I see NO sign of any expert views here. I certainly am NO expert. My involvement in this particular subject came about only because I was aware that a number of PR-refugees applying for citizenship were, instead, subjected to cessation proceedings, and no one was alerting anyone about this let alone addressing it in any depth.

Individual cases are beyond the scope of what can be reliably addressed in this venue. Anyone who has a significant risk of cessation should see a qualified lawyer. This means a lawyer who is experienced in refugee and protected person cases and who is familiar with the current cessation law.

This topic is also NOT about persons who are not yet a PR. There is a separate conference/forum at this site for refugee related discussions. I think there is also a cessation topic in that conference.

BUT it looks like you really should see a lawyer, sooner rather than later.

The cessation cases I have seen (noting that these involve individuals who are at least PRs already) tend to have very long processing times, lots and lots and lots of waiting. Life in limbo in the meantime. A lot at stake.

Best to see a lawyer!

kinaspissuh

Nov 13, 2017
after an extensive interview with a border officer she found some pictures in my and their location put me country XXXX. Also they found texts to some aunts saying i will be in country XXXX for that period and the found texts to some friends saying we should meet up. i arrived via montreal but jurisdiction is vancouver.
Im actually quite curious HOW did they found out such details? Big eye is watching you kinda deal?

Derut

Aug 25, 2017
The Interview went very smoothly and was short. We had all origional documents with us. our status has been changed to DM
We finally took Our Citizeship Oath. We are now Canadian. I really thank all of you guys for your guidance and support. special thanks to dpenabill for his well structured explanations on this particular area.

ImageOfLight

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Just took the oath of citizenship today at Mississauga. One passport renewal caused so much dread but in the end nothing came of it. Thanks for all the support and good luck to all those with applications still in progress.

Edit: I guess one of the reasons I was scared was because I found out about reavailment AFTER getting a new passport and was unsure what to do since I had a trip already planned. So I ended up using the travel document I had obtained a year earlier for that trip (not to my home country but a neighbouring one). On return I was delayed a little by CBSA, but only for an hour and they didn't express any concerns, just asked me if I had a Citizenship application in process yet, and I said no, not for the next 4 years or so. We both laughed and that was that. I also didn't show my renewed passport (and they didn't ask).
But I was still scared I might not have been allowed to hold a travel document and a renewed passport at the same time. However the IRCC official didn't raise any issues about this during the interview process even though i took both documents for the interview, so all's well in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: derin1010