+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee protection claimant queries

uhanif

Mar 25, 2019
I have couple of technical questions. I would really appreciate if anyone can respond to them. So me and my sister made a refugee claim in Dec 2018 and my parents made an inland claim at the end of Jan 2019. Our lawyer combined our case and IRB sent a letter that our case will be processed jointly.

Now, my first question is our case will start it’s processing from the date our cases combined? Or from when my parents made the claim or me and my sister made the claim?

Second question, I am from Pakistan and it is in the list of expedited hearing I believe. I have not received any letter saying we have been selected or not. I saw in another thread that one can write a letter to request for an expedited hearing date? If so to who? What to write?

Third question, being a refugee claimant can I apply for a Refugee Travel Document? Here’s what happened, I called the RTD issuing department and asked them that I don’t have an eligible guarantor can I use a form in lieu of guarantor she said yes, just to confirm I asked her if I am eligible to apply as a refugee claimant. She took my UCI number and said no you can’t and than put me on hold to go and speak to her supervisor to confirm and tells me I can. I went to the Notary next day to get the form signed by him and paid him. Now to confirm weather I leave the guarantor part of the form empty I called back and this gentleman told me I am not eligible when I asked again to confirm. Now I didn’t apply but if anyone can tell me if I am or not because they seem to not know themselves.

Last but not the least, me and my sister have not seen our partners in a while and would very much want to see them. Is there any way for us to travel being refugee claimant or some easy visa path they can take to come? I have been considering to have my wife apply for a study visa to do her masters here in Canada but I am not sure if my refugee claimant status would affect her application?

Thanks again for reading my questions.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I have couple of technical questions. I would really appreciate if anyone can respond to them. So me and my sister made a refugee claim in Dec 2018 and my parents made an inland claim at the end of Jan 2019. Our lawyer combined our case and IRB sent a letter that our case will be processed jointly.

Now, my first question is our case will start it’s processing from the date our cases combined? Or from when my parents made the claim or me and my sister made the claim?

Second question, I am from Pakistan and it is in the list of expedited hearing I believe. I have not received any letter saying we have been selected or not. I saw in another thread that one can write a letter to request for an expedited hearing date? If so to who? What to write?

Third question, being a refugee claimant can I apply for a Refugee Travel Document? Here’s what happened, I called the RTD issuing department and asked them that I don’t have an eligible guarantor can I use a form in lieu of guarantor she said yes, just to confirm I asked her if I am eligible to apply as a refugee claimant. She took my UCI number and said no you can’t and than put me on hold to go and speak to her supervisor to confirm and tells me I can. I went to the Notary next day to get the form signed by him and paid him. Now to confirm weather I leave the guarantor part of the form empty I called back and this gentleman told me I am not eligible when I asked again to confirm. Now I didn’t apply but if anyone can tell me if I am or not because they seem to not know themselves.

Last but not the least, me and my sister have not seen our partners in a while and would very much want to see them. Is there any way for us to travel being refugee claimant or some easy visa path they can take to come? I have been considering to have my wife apply for a study visa to do her masters here in Canada but I am not sure if my refugee claimant status would affect her application?

Being a refugee claimant means that you are not eligible for Refugee Travel Document, your refugee claim must be approved before you can apply for one.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Being a refugee claimant means that you are not eligible for Refugee Travel Document, your refugee claim must be approved before you can apply for one.
Agree with this.

Also, since your sister and parents also claimed asylum, the chances that your spouses will be granted any type of visa is slim to none. You can of course try. No harm in trying and hoping to get lucky.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Probably should plan on not seeing your partners for quite some time
CIC will weigh the possibility that they’ll claim asylum as well to stay with you, since you’re here, and their ties to Canada will more than likely outweigh their ties to their home country
More than likely they won’t take that chance
As stated above they can try, but their chances are very very low
So you’ll have to wait for your asylum claims to go thru the process , if you get status & PR, then go thru the process of having your partners get approval
In a nut shell , a long and winding road

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If IRB has already decided to process them jointly, they have already started reviewing them. Most likely it will start from the date that decision was made.

Expedited processing isn’t just for specific countries, but also for applications that are very straightforward (and that works for both positive and negative applications). You could contact IRB, but they will decide how your case is processed.

Agreed with everyone else. You and your family are not eligible for an RTD as a claimant. Until you receive a positive result on your claim, you won’t be eligible. And don’t travel home if you do get one until you acquire citizenship. As for your spouses getting a visa of any sort, you can apply, but it’s doubtful it would be approved. And yes your status in Canada will affect their chances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You mentionned that you and your sister have not seen your partners in some time. Have you been living in another country before Canada? 4 months is pretty minimal when it comes to asylum claims. Pakistan is a tricky country. I wouldn't count on expedited reviews. We have also seen refusals. Did your family try to relocate within Pakistan? That is one of the big issues even when there are perhaps grounds for asylum. Best advice is that you are going to have to give up a lot of control and be patient. Try to get a job and hope for the best.

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019

U just have to wait fr the decision if it’s positive then u can apply fr a travel document befre that u r not allowed to travel
Would u mind telling abt yr case?? Do u belong to any particular religious/ ethnic group in Pakistan??

uhanif

Mar 25, 2019
U just have to wait fr the decision if it’s positive then u can apply fr a travel document befre that u r not allowed to travel
Would u mind telling abt yr case?? Do u belong to any particular religious/ ethnic group in Pakistan??
Hi, yes, Shia, and I see on the official Canadian website that people claiming asylum from Pakistan based on religion specifically that are Shia are eligible for file review. https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/information-sheets/Pages/less-complex-claims.aspx

uhanif

Mar 25, 2019
You mentionned that you and your sister have not seen your partners in some time. Have you been living in another country before Canada? 4 months is pretty minimal when it comes to asylum claims. Pakistan is a tricky country. I wouldn't count on expedited reviews. We have also seen refusals. Did your family try to relocate within Pakistan? That is one of the big issues even when there are perhaps grounds for asylum. Best advice is that you are going to have to give up a lot of control and be patient. Try to get a job and hope for the best.
It’s been 5 months now. And I know someone who got a hearing date within 6 months. Of a father and his kids. He’s from Pakistan and same religious bases.

uhanif

Mar 25, 2019
If IRB has already decided to process them jointly, they have already started reviewing them. Most likely it will start from the date that decision was made.

Expedited processing isn’t just for specific countries, but also for applications that are very straightforward (and that works for both positive and negative applications). You could contact IRB, but they will decide how your case is processed.

Agreed with everyone else. You and your family are not eligible for an RTD as a claimant. Until you receive a positive result on your claim, you won’t be eligible. And don’t travel home if you do get one until you acquire citizenship. As for your spouses getting a visa of any sort, you can apply, but it’s doubtful it would be approved. And yes your status in Canada will affect their chances.
Even a student visa? To do her masters. I get that they could deny her for a visit visa but if she wants to come a

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Even a student visa? To do her masters. I get that they could deny her for a visit visa but if she wants to come a
What’s to stop her from filing a refugee claim as well ?
She can say she wants study etc etc , but get here and file a claim . The v/o has seen it time & time again
Yes, your choice to file a claim will more than likely be the reason she will not be able to get a student visa

uhanif

Mar 25, 2019
What’s to stop her from filing a refugee claim as well ?
She can say she wants study etc etc , but get here and file a claim . The v/o has seen it time & time again
Yes, your choice to file a claim will more than likely be the reason she will not be able to get a student visa
If I was a visa officer I would see if she is a student with a bachelors degree, she has an acceptance letter from a credible university to do her masters, she has money to pay the fees and afford her expenses. Well be it let her do it by staying with the husband. What’s wrong with that? Or if I am granted refugee protection than the chances should be even better if I have her apply than. Because it’s not like I’m leaving the country to go back we can be together I can work she can study be good Canadian residents. That’s the way I think of it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Ok, but more than likely the v/o will look at her applying for a student visa is a way to circumvent waiting for you to possibly get approved and then go that route .
Whatever , you made the decision to file , tell her to go ahead and apply , and let the chips fall where they may

Reactions: uhanif