+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee hearings timeline

salt.life1920

Star Member
Jan 20, 2020
Hey guys just a qs that crossed my mind regarding hearings.
Are hearings that are scheduled faster than other hearings has any impact on decisions?
I.e. would irb schedule a hearing fast to make a refusal asap and apply removal on the applicant ( in other ways move the case out of the way) or do they hear some cases fast coz they wanna approve fast and straight forward cases ?
Or perhaps both points are invalid ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys just a qs that crossed my mind regarding hearings.
Are hearings that are scheduled faster than other hearings has any impact on decisions?
I.e. would irb schedule a hearing fast to make a refusal asap and apply removal on the applicant ( in other ways move the case out of the way) or do they hear some cases fast coz they wanna approve fast and straight forward cases ?
Or perhaps both points are invalid ?
Yes and no. Expedited hearings are from countries that have high approval rates. Doesn’t guarantee approval but due to things like civil war approval rates are quite high. There isn’t as much time needed to evaluate the request. Expedited can still mean up to a year. Others are given a hearing somewhat based on when they arrived, where they are currently living and their country of origin. Hearings tend to be longer for these applications.

salt.life1920

Star Member
Jan 20, 2020
Yes and no. Expedited hearings are from countries that have high approval rates. Doesn’t guarantee approval but due to things like civil war approval rates are quite high. There isn’t as much time needed to evaluate the request. Expedited can still mean up to a year. Others are given a hearing somewhat based on when they arrived, where they are currently living and their country of origin. Hearings tend to be longer for these applications.
Is there a way to make the member give the decision in the hearing?